AEDs in personal vehicles?

couldn't you put a retainer or securing device like what is on the ambulances I used to run that the o2 bottle slipped into. It could be similar to the way water bottles are secured on bicycles.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could, but my main concern would be that even minor rear end damage to the personal vehicle would snap off the tip and send it flying, where as in an ambulance, the majority of the O[sub:ea1da2520d]2[/sub:ea1da2520d] bottles aren't ANYWHERE near the very rear of the vehicle.

I actually consider myself fairly safe around bottles having nearly been killed by an

O2 tank coming off the back of a TT wrecker.

I think I recall seeing hard cases to tote tanks in, or even like a racing-grade fire extinguisher bracket. With the regulator off, I would think it would be pretty safe from anything but a really devastating crash. I'd want it secured more to keep it from sliding around or whangin me in the head, than explosive concerns.

Ferno makes several brackets, but you could buy the same from Graingers or McMaster-Carr or your local weld shop for a quarter the price. And they'll secure the bottle against anything that you'd live through to worry about.

Think how many sick folks carry bottles just setting on the carseat with them driving all the time. I'm not saying its safe to do, but I haven't read of any problems in any car accidents.

neal

I would think if you were hit hard enough so that the damage would rupture the O2 tank, you've much more to worry about. I would be more worried about a (although rarely occurring) fire in the trunk area. That would be fun when the tank cooks off.

However, we digress from the topic at hand: AED's and POV's. You have to base it on your situation. If you're too far from a station, it's faster to go straight to the scene,and you think it's the right thing to do, then do it. Especially if your department and community is willing to pay for it.

Illogical? You cut me to the quick! Thanks for the ideas everybody and I may look into the hard case carrier for an O2 tank. I had one of those many years ago when I worked as an athletic trainer and it was very sturdy. Like I said, I don't see a need for an AED because every patrol car has one and my service will give me a D tank if I can resolve the safety issue in my own mind. I have intubated people prior to the ambulance arriving but the time ventilating with room air is very short so I'm not sure it is clinically significant. O2 would make a difference for the chest pain or resp distress patient I don't carry IV equipment because I'm not sure starting an IV alone has ever saved a life or even made much of a difference in outcomes.

It is important to remember that you follow state or regional laws and guidelines when carrying equipment in your car. PA does not allow paramedics to carry ALS equipment in POV's. I get away with it because I am also a CRNA and laryngoscopes are the tools of my trade. It is a fine line and so far nobody has questioned it although I'm sure someday I'll tick off the wrong person and there will be an issue. It is interesting and as long as I am doing the best thing for my patient I'll take the risk.

Again, thanks for the ideas. I'll give it more thought. I wouldn't have a problem if my local fire department would run QRS because then they could carry the O2. So far they have resisted the idea.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

Wouldn't you have the same problems as a CRNA that you would as a paramedic because you are operating outside of the "supervision" of a doctor? I know that my company's RNs (yes, not exactly the same thing, but...) can't use the ALS gear if we happen upon something on the way to/from a CCT call because they don't have "orders."

That "supervision" issue is quite nebulous at best. I can work in conjunction with a surgeon, podiatrist or dentist in the administration of anesthesia and can function as an independent provider. The vast majority of rural hospitals in the United States have CRNA's as their sole anesthesia providers. Like I said, it is a fine line and as long as I do what is best for the patient I feel I can defend myself. Sorry to get off topic.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.