AEDs in personal vehicles?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although AED's are lifesavers, I believe the money could be better spent on education. Unless, you are in a highly public position, active 1'st responder (i.e LEO, etc..), or have a family member that might be in need, chances are v-fib will not be presentable upon arrival.

V-fib, unless CPR has alread been initated is very unlikekly in cardiac arrest after the first few minutes.

R/r 911

All the members of our service have been issued Zoll AED-plus units as part of their personal jump kits,, in addition to a trauma bag & O2 kit. The reason why is because we cover an area that is about 20 -30 minutes from one end to the other. Our ambulance is stationed roughly in the middle of the territory. our people live all over the area and will respond direct to the scene unless they have to pass by the station en-route. We are generally able to have an EMT on scene several minutes faster than the ambulance providing definitive care, which is better for the pt's we serve. the cost of these units was raised by going out to the community and explaining the need for them which several donors stepped up to fund. It did not come from decreasing the amount of continuing education funding of other budget items. The same way we approached funding our purchase of an AUTOPULSE a year ago, which was the first in our state.

Wow, first post, yay for me!!

I am currently studying as paramedic at uni. While I'm studying I am also a part time lifeguard. About two weeks ago we had a cardiac arrest at my work place and I succesfully reverted the pt via the AED. They are absolutley invaluable in use there are no arguments there. At that time we were the first of our local pools to get an AED in fact it was only 2 weeks old (yes 4 weeks old now!!) I agree that it would be great to have AED's in vehicles but when they are so very basic and easy for layman to use, would they no be better off at strategic locations.

One idea is to have a website (for your county..) that states the locations of all AED's and to publicly let people know about these. Planning on where the nearest one is for each workplace. Ideas like this are likely to see more use of the AED's

my 2 cents anyway

Congrats on your first save ITX

Way to go :D:lol::P

As for AEDs in personal vehicles, it depends in my opinion on the area you are covering.

As for Island Medic, where exactly do you practice. Sounds like a good area.

Drop me a PM sometime.

I thinks its a great idea if you can afford it. In my county the Fire Departments that have first responder supplu firefighters with them as well as O2 in their cars.
What kind of O2 do the carry in their POV? Must be scary driving around with a potential bomb in your trunk. :?

Personally, I would rather spend my own $5,000 on a flat screen LCD to hang above the fire place then an AED that might never be used. Like others have said, unless there was someone in my home who needed one...I wouldn't purchase one (not to mention that in most places you need a script to buy one).

I can understand those having them if the FD/EMS provides them with one. The oxygen tank sounds like a good idea (I'm guessing that you get BVM's as well as other oxygen and airway supplies). I just have one concern, did anyone evaluate the idea of getting additional units?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.