a strange coincidence!

Last year I worked a medical standby at a farm life event in our local area. I remember one patient we had who was a 10 year old girl who had passed out in the area where a leather craftsman had custom made belts, vests and wallets. When I assesed her, she had an altered mental status and displaying the classic shock symptoms. I figured it was the high heat and humidity that got to her. She was transported to the ER by a different unit.

Well Guess what! I had her AGAIN this year, and in the same area of the display barn with the same symptoms, where the leather craftsman was setup. I immediatly scoped her up and took her to the Ambo. After I got her inside, she started acting normal again while I was assesing her. I further questioned her and her mother, she had just arrived at the event and this was the first place they visited, not being there 5 minutes. The girl played sports and has never had any heat-related problems ever but BOOM! The same spot she passed out last year.

The only thing I can figure is she must be allergic to something the leather craftsmen is using in his polish and stains!

Talk about strange coincidences!

Perhaps a bit "TOO" coincidental.

Most people don't spend much time around the process of leather production, so hard to tell what she was reacting to.

Good time to suggest she not go into shoe making as a career. :lol:

If I had to guess I would say she had some kind of hypersensitivity to Formaldehyde. Even though that does not equate with the S/S presented, reactions can be weird and specific to the individual. All the other products used in leather would cause a contact dermatitis, Formaldehyde is the only one I can think that would have an inhalation reaction.

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

AZCEP: I'll suggest that to her about not going into the leather processing business!! LOL!! :lol:

SCARAMEDIC: Formaldehyde: Now isn't that stuff used in say, preserving frogs and other creatures for science experiments? I would have thought by now she's been exposed to this substance before, although I would not imagine a 11 year old disecting frogs in a classroom yet. I might call POISON CONTROL and ask them but I really do not want to bother them with all the BS they go through allday! :evil:

Yes it really was strange how cool and clammy she was, took her away from that area and how quick she improved. Last year I kept here there, in a chair in a covered open area with a fan on her because Ambo was left in sun not running. This year I kept in on and parked in shade. 8)

I have a good friend that is a cobbler who does extensive leather work. I'll ask him what he thinks it could be. I know from hanging out in his shop there are several chemicals used in leather work. Dyes, glues, solvents, and what not. Any of these could cause health issues and reactions. His last assistant had to quit after she became pregnant because of the chemicals and the harm they could cause the fetus.

Also, leather is a natural product. It could simply be a allergic reaction.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.