AMR taking over small company.

Resistence is futile... :roll:

If you saw the recent episodes of Saved where the "NMR" medic goes and becomes a supervisor for them, those changes that they had to deal with are somewhat realistic believe it or not. It'll depend on your local management. Other than that, the advice everyone else gave is pretty much on the money.

What? Clip on ties, and ambulance black boxes? :shock:

Union?? HAH. Lost that a while ago...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The AMR experience can varied depending on who is running the show. I know that down here in Houston the shifts suck, the pay is lower then other services, and all they do is transfers (they have one subdivision they do 911 for).

The plus is that you get a guaranteed check, they have standards, and around here they have decent equipment to use. I would hope for the best, and if it is bad then go from there.

Think positive, because if think negative, all you'll see is bad things.

Nate

I worked for AMR for about 6 months but all we did was convalescent care. I hated it. I don't really know much about AMR as a 911 provider though but anyway, good luck and I hope everything works out well for you.

On another note, our executive director we have now came from AMR as a VP. I've been with this agency for 8 years and don't regret any minute of it. I don't know if he brought any of his AMR mentality with him or not but either way, I've been happy here.

On another note, our executive director we have now came from AMR as a VP. I've been with this agency for 8 years and don't regret any minute of it. I don't know if he brought any of his AMR mentality with him or not but either way, I've been happy here.

I'm right there with you brother! I never had the oppurtunity to work for AMR, but at the same time, it sounds like I didn't miss out on much...

Like others have mentioned, AMR operates as a money making business. Once you understand the business model, it's easier to understand the directions. I've been employed by AMR for a little over three years and they haven't been bad. The division I work holds large 911 PSA contracts, so we see our share of 911 calls and we dont' have any other ALS service to take the call over. This allows for the employees to get real experience managing emergency scenes and emergent patients. Your individual experience will depend greatly on your attitude and more importantly your understanding of how the business runs. Management for the different divisions varies greatly and you'll notice that from talking to people from other divisions as you go along.

All told, if I had to work for AMR again I would do so. I've been offered great experience through the areas in which we serve. 911 calls, intercept shifts, etc. I also got to spend 10 days working in Gulfport, MS after Hurricane Katrina came which is something I most likely wouldn't have gotten to do if I were employed by AMR. Give it a try. It can't hurt and at the very least, it's experience which is never going to hurt. Especially when someone is new to the field.

Shane

NREMT-P

Good point as far as pay. Forgot to add that. We are one of the best paid services in the area. The "not for profit" service I work for I make about $1.50 an hour less then I do at AMR, but that's a dedicated emergency service still covering a city.

I work for AMR in MS. We are one of the largest providers in the state and are the exclusive service in the area. On the whole, things are relatively (subjective term, I know) stable. We are the first or second best payed service in the state and I know I have a job next week.

We currently have AMR breathing down our necks. Our service was in the process of reorganizing into a public utility model. They showed up and set up shop wanting to do transfers and bid for the PUM. All government entities backed out of the PUM idea because they didn't want to get rid of us, just reorganize the board of directors and the funding process. Now everyone is to afraid to do anything, the entire system is stalling out. We're kinda in limbo. The county underwrites the loans for replacing the units. Now, the county doesn't want to buy new trucks because they don't know if AMR will try a take over. Meanwhile, our replacement program has ground to a halt because we can't get the county to underwrite the loans. It's a giant circular arguement.

The overseeing committee and the county claims AMR has destabilized the existing system. It appears they are right. Maybe that's how they'll take over.

I'll offer this suggestion. If you have any power to do anything about it, look into Fitch and Associates. Not everyone at my agency liked the idea of them coming in and re-arranging things but Fitch helped mold our service into what it is today. I can say I'm proud of where I work.

I'll offer this suggestion. If you have any power to do anything about it, look into Fitch and Associates. Not everyone at my agency liked the idea of them coming in and re-arranging things but Fitch helped mold our service into what it is today. I can say I'm proud of where I work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.