AMR taking over small company.

As someone who has worked for AMR in the past, particularly in the Houston area, it really comes down to the local management. If they are solid people who have their priorities straight, you will have a pretty decent place to work. If they don't, it turns into the usual corporate drama and backbiting very quickly.

As a general rule, the less I dealt with office administration and the more I just transported patients and did my job, the happier I was.

Also, for the record, the Houston 911 area is less a subdivision and more an unincorporated chunk of Harris/Brazoria County that no one really wants to have.

I'm glad for the experience I got there when I was new, and I definitely saw some fairly complicated patients coming out of various ER's and hospital floors.

AMR is a mixed bag, at best.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished my time at AMR, overall I found it was decent, but thats because I reported in to a small substation where the employees pretty much managed themselves. Eventually there were some things that happened that got me fed up with the company, so I am currently in the process of switching companies. (going from corporate giant to family run place) PM me if you have any questions about AMR North East

I guess I don't get the idea... but isn't Transport Ambulance Service all about making money? How can you be a non-profit transport service???

I've worked for the small Mom&Pop companies, and the giant in the field (AMR). With the Mom&Pop companies... Policies changed week to week, and in BOTH cases, the Ops Manager and Owner seemed to always be in a pissing match. Uniforms? Hah... Issued uniforms? Funny Joke. Buy an "EMT" T-Shirt and wear blue pants. "Policy" was verbally issued from the Ops Manager or Owner... and occasionally conflicted with State Protocols or Scope of Practice.

I'm a big fan of the national operations... I work for 2 separate national companies (1 full time, 1 part time). Uniforms are all issued and of good quality... there is a nice, thick employee manual handed out during orientation that plainly explains what will get you fired, and there is someone else you can complain to if you have a problem with your boss.

In addition... AMR's Disaster Vacation Package is nice... where else could you win an all-expense paid trip for 2 weeks in Louisiana last year?

Welcome to the Family!

Just curious what division or region of AMR do you work for? As you may or may not know, Each division is run like it's own company, that explains the situation here. My divsion had ok rigs, the other two had beat rigs, and the other had sparkling shiny new ambulances. The point is, that from state to state, and divsion to division, everyone's AMR experience is different.

it all depends on your area. in connecticut AMR is an ems mongrul, the division i work for has the city (fairly large ghetto shithole) 911 contract and is the main transport provider. basically if your BLS workin a day shirt youll do 8 transfers, if you doing and evening shift or ALS anytime youll do mostly 911's. and as far as i kno the EMT pay is one of the best in the country.

it all depends on your area. in connecticut AMR is an ems mongrul, the division i work for has the city (fairly large ghetto shithole) 911 contract and is the main transport provider. basically if your BLS workin a day shirt youll do 8 transfers, if you doing and evening shift or ALS anytime youll do mostly 911's. and as far as i kno the EMT pay is one of the best in the country.

lemme think, that must be Bridgeport division? or maybe Hartford, hell, that could be New Haven too, or you might even work in Waterbury :? it seems AMR CT has its divisions HQ'd in the garden spots. Judging by what you said about the pay, Im guessing you work in Bridgeport, from what I hear the EMT's down there make damn near 18-19$/hour

AMR just came to the Pittsburgh area. I was told that they are trying to take out Transcare and some of the smaller transport ambulance companies, any truth behind this I don't know, but so far they started with one ambulance, and now up to three.From what I understand, they are doing mostly nursing home contracts.

Me

good call lgnsttefrst, where are you from? ct has amr main divisions in the exact cities you stated... rural amr locations being sub-ed out from those cities. you wouldnt be wrong about the pay either. great parttime job for a student!

AMR just came to the Pittsburgh area. I was told that they are trying to take out Transcare and some of the smaller transport ambulance companies, any truth behind this I don't know, but so far they started with one ambulance, and now up to three.From what I understand, they are doing mostly nursing home contracts.

Me

i worked for Guardian Angel Ambulance Service (and yes we were officially GAAS) in Homestead when i went to school in Pittsburgh... wonder if theyre getting bought out, im pretty sure they were considered pretty large for the area.

i worked for Guardian Angel Ambulance Service (and yes we were officially GAAS) in Homestead when i went to school in Pittsburgh... wonder if theyre getting bought out, im pretty sure they were considered pretty large for the area.

The wonderful service of Guardian Angle, are they still bouncing their paychecks? Remember a friend of mine had his pay check bouch higher than a bouncie ball. His bank, cancelled his account due to his paychecks. It's always so nice to get called to a scene and find GAAS already on scene.....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.