Hands on training in the classroom

As intructors, how often do you include hands on training in the classroom?  

6 members have voted

1. 1.

• Every class
    • Once a week
    • Rarely

The best way to hedge your bets on pass rates -- other than superior instruction, of course -- is to regulate the quality of the students you admit. Don't let them in without a couple semesters of A&P, algebra, English, and psychology at a minimum, as well as an essay test to prove they remembered something from those classes. If they passed those courses in college, they have shown a commitment to professionalism, above average academic potential, and they have established a solid foundation for you to build upon, so you don't have to waste half your time explaining how the human body works to people, as well as spending more time on hands-on instruction, which is what this thread is about. That also prevents the CC from bad mouthing you as a patch factory, and reputation is everything in this business.

Do admissions interviews, and make sure the applicants are intelligently articulate. If they can't articulate a better reason for enrolling than,

"I watch Turd Watch, and it looks cool!" or "I wanna be a fireman!", then skip them for someone who indicates a primary interest in medicine. Don't let people use you as a stepping stone to something else.

Don't give people any credit or preference based on EMT experience. The less, the better. If it takes you five years as an ambulance driver to find the personal drive to advance your education, you don't have the professional motivation to excel in this field. And if you exclude all those EMTs who have more than a year or two experience, you will find that you waste a LOT less time arguing with their mistaken notions, reshaping their poor attitudes, and breaking their bad habits, which guarantees you a smoother and more focused educational experience for the whole class.

Again, this all contributes to your long term reputation. If you become nothing but a place for people who are in a hurry, and don't think they need "all that book learnin'" that the CC requires, you will forever be stuck with sub-standard applicants, sub-standard results, and a sub-standard reputation.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't give people any credit or preference based on EMT experience. The less, the better. If it takes you five years as an ambulance driver to find the personal drive to advance your education, you don't have the professional motivation to excel in this field.

Dust, with all due respect, bite me. I've got 5 years in, roughly two and a half BLS and two and a half ALS, and I'm JUST getting to the point where I can AFFORD P-school. The primary reason for getting my state's non-Paramedic ALS license is because eventually, it would let me afford medic school- pulling that off on Basic paychecks just wasn't going to happen.

Ideals are nice. Some of us live in different circumstances than your personal Happy Place.

Hey I'm still saving up for medic school, too. Don't take offense. There's always exceptions. Most long-time EMTs don't advance for other reasons, it seems.

Exactly. These are the things that can be worked out in the interview process. There, we can determine why someone did not advance sooner. We can also hopefully get an idea of how open their mind has remained throughout that "experience". And previous education is going to be the biggest decision maker. I'd take a brand new EMT with a bachelors in Art History over an EMT with five years in the field, and no proven history of successful formal education. It's not my job as a program director to guess whether or not you'll be a good medic. That is something that will be come evident much further into the process. But it is my job to determine if you will be a good student. And previous educational experience is the only way I can evaluate that.

Well, then I suppose a BA in PoliSci might be worth something after all, but only if you're the PD! :lol:

Poli Sci is good stuff! It gives you a great, big picture view of people and the world they live in. Psych and Sociology are both requirements, I believe, which are invaluable in EMS. You also get a lot of insight into bureaucracy and the techniques of functioning within them, which is crucial to long term survival in EMS. And you don't find too many illiterate Poli Sci grads either. They learn to communicate exceptionally well, both in writing and the spoken word, which is the most important "skill" in EMS. And, of course, any BS degree shows a proven ability to succeed academically. I'd take a Poli Sci grad into my medic school any day over a ten year EMT with no college.

I can't say I would be surprised if you had a degree in Poli Sci. You're an excellent debater. In fact, quite possibly a MASTER deBATER! :wink: