Hands on training in the classroom

As intructors, how often do you include hands on training in the classroom?  

6 members have voted

1. 1.

• Every class
    • Once a week
    • Rarely

I do the "team" thing too... In the past I had set teams up in 4's...but, I think this next year, I'll be cutting it back to 3. We don't use one in the group as the patient though... it's more fun to find a co-instructor or fellow EMT or Paramedic, who knows more about the S/S and Pathophysiology that you're trying to teach the student to play that part.... This is a GREAT way for the students to learn... We do "Call Out" Scenarios during class time, and each teams knows that they can be "called out" at any time.... It does kind of hang the class up for a minute or two, but it works out GREAT for us.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our instructors informed all of us EMT B students the first night of class that we needed a stethoscope and bp cuff by the third class. From that class till the last class we would be doing hands on practicals. Our patients were all EMT I's or P's who used actual medical problems and traumas from actual calls.

Its true if the instructors are doing a good job, you will run thru scenarios and procedures in your sleep.

We had one EMT P who was known to be a bit of a prima donna, we got him in a KED and secured him to a backboard, we were to carry him to the gurney and put him in the back of the ambulance, he complained about everything we did, regardless if it was right or wrong :? , so we put the backboard across two metal folding chairs and left him there for about ten minutes, while we had a coffee break. He calmed down after that when the instructors released him. B)

While not in that class, I've been the one left secured to the backboard, flipped head down, and face to the wall! My complaints started on my release after they left me like that for 10 minutes.

Here's my thoughts on the whole "tying people down and leaving them that way"....

#1. What type of professionalism are we teaching our students when we do this? I don't ever want someone to get hurt during one of my training sessions because we were "playing" with equipment.

#2. What happens if the person you left has an asthma / panic / respiratory / heart attack when they're laying there and we're all off having a coffee and a good laugh?

#3. Is this really the best way to communicate to a "Prima Donna" that they are obnoxious? There has to be a better way than restraint...

Now, have I ever done anything like this? Yep... when I took my EMT class many moons ago, the instructors thought that this kind of play was funny... and you know what.. at the time, so did I. Then I started listening to stories that my former classmates told MY students about the "play" that they did in class... I was embarrased that I had been part of it. It's ok to have a good time during hands on skills, and we still cut up more than our share...but, there has to be a line drawn somewhere, and that line should be long term restraint in the name of "fun".

Whew... by the way.. that wasn't a dig to anyone in particular, just a trend that I see in all EMS Education, that probably needs revisited.

Following on what JoEMT posted, look at the string on the EMT who used a Defib on a co-worker, killing the co-worker.

Our equipment is not toys, people! ALWAYS spread that to your newbies, when being a preceptor, or partnered with them.

• 3 years later...

In the basic program that I run, after about 1/4 of the class time has elapsed (to cover A&P and other basic things), we start to do a LOT of hands on. In EVERY class day, we spend at least 1 hour doing hands on things. The class (from the beginning) is broken up into "rescue squads," with a different "squad" on duty each day. At a random point in the class, that squad will get "dispatched" over the radio, they get into the ambulance, and respond, using appropriate radio traffic etc. While this is going on, the rest of the class pulls out supplies (splinting, O2, etc) and works on their NR skill sheets until they get back. The squad, once they get back MUST do a transfer report (just like telling the RN at the hospital) and finish a run form. From there, a group critique is performed to answer questions and have a good discussion on patient care. Thus far, has proven a good thing.

I can't believe that anyone would only have a couple of hours of practical experience in a basic class...if you think about the predominant learning styles for adults in this profession, what sense does it make to minimize or exclude it?

I believe close to half of our EMT classes are dedicated to skills training. It's difficult managing lecture and skills and having enough instructors overseeing skills labs. But they should get a number of practice runs on each skill, especially vital signs...yet there are students who don't make good use of the time.

Every class get's hands-on. Even if it's basic skills, do them as a refresher. Point out any bad habits that may have developed. Try to incorporate the new more advanced skills with the basic skills. Remind them that even if done rapidly, basic skills first then more advanced skills. As in, don't forget to do your ABC's before using the monitor and defibbing if needed. You don't just throw the paddles onto someone and zap them. (which I've seen attempted).

I can't believe that anyone would only have a couple of hours of practical experience in a basic class...if you think about the predominant learning styles for adults in this profession, what sense does it make to minimize or exclude it?

What makes sense is to exclude those morons who are too stupid to comprehend the intellectual portion of the curriculum, and can only learn from monkey-see-monkey-do. You don't have to pass everyone, you know.