Stepping On Toes

I don't know how many times I have had a student rider that has had an istructor that taught them the wrong Tx or procedure.

What is the best way to inform a student of the correct procedure without stepping on their instuctors toes and making him look inferior?

And does anyone have a program set up with their local schools that allows feedback to the instructor regarding teaching techniques and not just the student's performance.

First of all, in order for us to have a student rider, we have to be approved as field preceptors by the school that is sending students to us. Since you are officially approved by the school, you then have the right to speak freely with the instructor when a situation arises.

The students should also be arriving with eval forms that the field preceptor signs off on. Make your comments there and see what kind of feedback you get.

As for how to handle the situation when a student states a wrong procedure or treatment, ask the student "are you sure?". If he is adamant that he is correct, send him to his textbook and say look it up. Show me where it is stated or taught like that. Let the student find the error himself. If it turns out you were wrong, say "I am sorry, we dont know everything, but thanks for looking it up. You wont forget it now". If the student is wrong, hopefully he will correct it in the future and take that correction back to class and present it himself.

First of all, in order for us to have a student rider, we have to be approved as field preceptors by the school that is sending students to us. Since you are officially approved by the school, you then have the right to speak freely with the instructor when a situation arises.

The students should also be arriving with eval forms that the field preceptor signs off on. Make your comments there and see what kind of feedback you get.

As for how to handle the situation when a student states a wrong procedure or treatment, ask the student "are you sure?". If he is adamant that he is correct, send him to his textbook and say look it up. Show me where it is stated or taught like that. Let the student find the error himself. If it turns out you were wrong, say "I am sorry, we dont know everything, but thanks for looking it up. You wont forget it now". If the student is wrong, hopefully he will correct it in the future and take that correction back to class and present it himself.

I can agree with that. Thanks.

We have preceptors complete evals on each student, and in turn each student evaluates their preceptor... I go with the old "If I don't know it's broken, I can't fix it attitude".. more often than not, the preceptors really don't spend any time with the form.. they circle all 5's or whatever, and then send it on to me... I have very few who give honest critiques...the student on the other hand are often too happy to give feedback on the preceptor.. there's some food for thought.. Those of you who are Preceptors remember, ALWAYS give honest feedback on student evals.

Just my 2 cents.

I usually ask the student if this was from the instructor, or text etc..? Sometimes, I have found out that it was an misinterpretation or poor communication of student - instructor. The student had actually misunderstood what was said.

If not, then I will correct them on local policies, and plan of care. Sometimes, I have found it is not they are so incorrect; however; it is the application and interpretation of it. If this not the case, then I will cite or give references for clarity. Students need to be educated and informed on correct way, before wrong method or idea is set in.

R/r 911

I usually ask the student if this was from the instructor, or text etc..? Sometimes, I have found out that it was an misinterpretation or poor communication of student - instructor. The student had actually misunderstood what was said.

If not, then I will correct them on local policies, and plan of care. Sometimes, I have found it is not they are so incorrect; however; it is the application and interpretation of it. If this not the case, then I will cite or give references for clarity. Students need to be educated and informed on correct way, before wrong method or idea is set in.

R/r 911

Thanks for your reply. I also think there are too many medics that aren't teaching enough on ride times...

The last two EMT students I had showed so much appreciation for me going over just some basics with them like the stair chair or how to set up an updraft. And I like to let them do everything like full assessments give the radio report and advise dispatch of our status, I think it really prepares them for the job. I think the students should be evaluating the preceptors as well.

I have precepted for several colleges Springfield, N.E. University, our own Paramedic academy students, and several of the military programs....

While I agree with the last several posts about asking "r u sure?" and referring them to the textbook, I have some other ideas as well..

I will ask the students why they feel that this is the correct answer or treatment,, i will listen to their explanation and i'll keep in mind that there are many ways to skin a cat.

But I will then contact the instructor and ask them what they said... I'VE FOUND THAT OFTEN TIMES, THE STUDENT DOESN'T UNDERSTAND THE ANSWER OR MISQUOTED THE INSTRUCTOR OR MISUNDERSTOOD THE QUESTION/ANSWER.

The if the student says something that was totally wrong,, i will correct it and address it in their evaluation and then speak with their instructor...

Whatever happens, the worst thing you can do is to allow the wrong answer to stand, and allow the student to think that they are right,, and using the wrong treatment....

Best of luck

I have precepted for several colleges Springfield, N.E. University, our own Paramedic academy students, and several of the military programs....

While I agree with the last several posts about asking "r u sure?" and referring them to the textbook, I have some other ideas as well..

I will ask the students why they feel that this is the correct answer or treatment,, i will listen to their explanation and i'll keep in mind that there are many ways to skin a cat.

But I will then contact the instructor and ask them what they said... I'VE FOUND THAT OFTEN TIMES, THE STUDENT DOESN'T UNDERSTAND THE ANSWER OR MISQUOTED THE INSTRUCTOR OR MISUNDERSTOOD THE QUESTION/ANSWER.

The if the student says something that was totally wrong,, i will correct it and address it in their evaluation and then speak with their instructor...

Whatever happens, the worst thing you can do is to allow the wrong answer to stand, and allow the student to think that they are right,, and using the wrong treatment....

Best of luck

Excelent advise, Thanks.