vs-eh?

Do you believe in God?  

71 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • I see your point, but I still believe for whatever reason
    • I don't see your point, God is real and inside me
    • I believe Transformers are real and are more than meets the eye.

First of all, I'm curious as to what NNDB stands for. It's quite entertaining to see what kind of new things people can make out of my online tag. I don't say this in a sarcastic manner, someday i'll make a list and get good laugh out of it.

now for the non-friendly part:

This is honestly the first time using the "quote" things, so I'm hoping this will work.

NNDB, I was particularly amused by the fact that

1.) it made your head hurt, and

2.) "I am going to call you an idiot and a jerk in a pretentious manner, ignoring the fact that this will get me nowhere in a manner still practiced only by third-graders and congressmen. I will now use a cliche but rather cool method to make my next argument seem more valid." Ahhh, yeah. Have you read any of your pretentious e-mails? You're going to assume that persons of faith are nothing more than morons yourself?

The part about this thread that I don't like is those people such as NNDB and Ace who talk down to people of faith and treat them as idiots for believing in something they can't see or comprehend. There is no way to prove to an atheist that God exists just as there is no way for an atheist to prove that God doesn't exist.

Please tell me where I have directed hate towards people in faith in general, instead of just at you, and also where I attempted to prove to you that god does not exist. As I said before, I make a concious effort to treat everyone as equals and intelligent people, though I failed to mention when people say things that I don't like, I tend to flame them with angry mocking posts. Such as when you and your pretentious little "e-mails" (because they are obviously e-mails) display a combination of overt arrogance and hypocriticism. I'm talking down on a group of people and generalizing things on them? Then you must help me flame the person who said this:

I also agree with the person (forgive me I can't remember who - and I'm paraphrasing here) said that evolution can be part of God's work. The average human height alone has increased by what? Six inches over a hundred years? Why can't other things change?

If you know anything about evolution you'd know that it happens very slow. The human height change is not an example of evolution but evidence of the changing understanding and availability of nutrition. (note: I say this without researching it because I'm halfway between "pretty sure" and "sure" and I'm too lazy to look it up.) Very little if any of it can be attributed to evolution.

Also, please enlighten me as to the difference between atheists and agnostics. I forget.

Although this issue is complicated, google and wikipedia are still your friends.

I do not believe there is a god, therefore I am an atheist (a(non)-theism(root for theist, theology)). Agnostics (not related to gnosticism) open up a whole 'nother jar of confusion. In short, they are people who say that the existence or non-existence of god is unknowable by man. This includes Agnostic Theists and Agnostic Atheists. I will agree that the existence of god cannot be proven or unproven, though in such situations I will assume they don't. (Assume as in "since you will not understand the necessary calculations for another few years of school, assume for now that molecules do not have volume") Whether or not I am agnostic is iffy. I've also heard the word used to describe people who are "searching" for a belief system, but that was just hearsay.

I will agree with others that I'd like to see you after a few hundred thousand miles on them tires to see if you have the same cynical opinions you have now. Puppy.

Well sure, but I am definitely much more cynical than all of my peers, and what, I'm going to be more optimistic as life gets harder? Plus it was a self-deprecating comic-relief-intended statement. (I was under the impression that the word "cynical" carried a bad connotation.) Geezer.

Lastly, and I've said it before, the only ca-ca that will be stirred is from people treating other people like idiots.

ditto to that.

Oh, and yes, God is in a rose. Let's put it another way, I just can't see something like glycogenesis just happening. Let alone all the other mysterious and wonderful things that exist in our world.

Did you take biology? It happens because that's the way molecules react. If you took more advanced biology glycogenesis would seem very simple. But this is a topic for an evolution/ID thread, and I REALLY do not want to get into one of those. If you want to discuss this further make a separate thread.

BTW, a lesson in internet user convention, when you write something and push the submit button, and it gets posted on here, that's called a "post". When you send a message to another user that only s/he can see from a non-e-mail website such as a forum, that is called a "pm" (private message) or just "message", or something else depending on the situation. This topic that everyone posts posts in is called a "thread". When you send a message from one e-mail account to another, that is called an "e-mail".

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I'm curious as to what NNDB stands for. It's quite entertaining to see what kind of new things people can make out of my online tag. I don't say this in a sarcastic manner, someday i'll make a list and get good laugh out of it.

I sincerely apologize for calling you NNDB. For some reason, I had that handle stuck in my head. I meant NBSP. ](*,)

now for the non-friendly part:

This isn't non-friendly, this is your opinion.

Please tell me where I have directed hate towards people in faith in general, instead of just at you, and also where I attempted to prove to you that god does not exist. As I said before, I make a concious effort to treat everyone as equals and intelligent people, though I failed to mention when people say things that I don't like, I tend to flame them with angry mocking posts. Such as when you and your pretentious little "e-mails" (because they are obviously e-mails) display a combination of overt arrogance and hypocriticism. I'm talking down on a group of people and generalizing things on them? Then you must help me flame the person who said this:

I'm baffled by the reference to "e-mails". My apologies for using incorrect terms? :dontknow:

If you know anything about evolution you'd know that it happens very slow. The human height change is not an example of evolution but evidence of the changing understanding and availability of nutrition. (note: I say this without researching it because I'm halfway between "pretty sure" and "sure" and I'm too lazy to look it up.) Very little if any of it can be attributed to evolution.

Physical changes from adapting to outside influences is evolution. Am I right here?

Although this issue is complicated, google and wikipedia are still your friends.

I do not believe there is a god, therefore I am an atheist (a(non)-theism(root for theist, theology)). Agnostics (not related to gnosticism) open up a whole 'nother jar of confusion. In short, they are people who say that the existence or non-existence of god is unknowable by man. This includes Agnostic Theists and Agnostic Atheists. I will agree that the existence of god cannot be proven or unproven, though in such situations I will assume they don't. (Assume as in "since you will not understand the necessary calculations for another few years of school, assume for now that molecules do not have volume") Whether or not I am agnostic is iffy. I've also heard the word used to describe people who are "searching" for a belief system, but that was just hearsay.

Thank you for the clarity. I am well aware of google and wikipedia. While they are useful tools, I wanted to get your interpretation of them.

Well sure, but I am definitely much more cynical than all of my peers, and what, I'm going to be more optimistic as life gets harder? Plus it was a self-deprecating comic-relief-intended statement. (I was under the impression that the word "cynical" carried a bad connotation.) Geezer.

Good one. :lol:

ditto to that.

Did you take biology? It happens because that's the way molecules react. If you took more advanced biology glycogenesis would seem very simple. But this is a topic for an evolution/ID thread, and I REALLY do not want to get into one of those. If you want to discuss this further make a separate thread.

Yes, I've taken biology. I am very well aware how it works. My point was how was it created? How did 'evolution' come up with glycogenesis? The sodium/potassium pump? Toenails? It just happened by fluke?

BTW, a lesson in internet user convention, when you write something and push the submit button, and it gets posted on here, that's called a "post". When you send a message to another user that only s/he can see from a non-e-mail website such as a forum, that is called a "pm" (private message) or just "message", or something else depending on the situation. This topic that everyone posts posts in is called a "thread". When you send a message from one e-mail account to another, that is called an "e-mail".

Smart *ss. So I'm not up on my internet lingo. I have other things to try and pack into my "geezer" brain. I'm also having a hard time with the quote things so some of my stuff is mixed in with NBSP's.

I apologize for making anyone think that I was being hostile about this or for making "non-believers" or atheists feel that I thought they were idiots. That was not my intent.

Peace NBSP. You made me think. I hope you're taking philosophy classes. You'll do well.

ug

This exchange ought to keep everyone here busy for a while. Fresh off the press. By paid professionals. It gets better as it goes along. But distressingly, gratuitously civil in tone, which is its only flaw. :wink:

http://www.amconmag.com/2006/2006_08_28/article14.html

http://www.firstthings.com/onthesquare/?p=401

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=OGYxN...DExMzBkYmUyYmQ=