vs-eh?

Do you believe in God?  

71 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • I see your point, but I still believe for whatever reason
    • I don't see your point, God is real and inside me
    • I believe Transformers are real and are more than meets the eye.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clarify a belief in GOD or a higher being does not preclude a belief in evolution.

Did the devil make the dinosaur bones to trick the silly mortals?

Hammer, I guess I should have taken that statement a little further. And yes it is just my opinion and no more than that......that most Christians do not believe in evolution or at least they shouldn't if they are Christians. That's all that was meant by that. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Todd

VS: What is God to me?

God to me is as I was taught at a very young age, kicking and screaming all the way to church with my mother and father or the time I ran away from home because I didnt want to goto church and sit and listen to a boring sermon.

As I got older, we had youth groups, outings and we did plays, but I guess back then being a kid and not understanding what my parents had in mind, all about this God and who was he/she? why we couldnt see him/her?

Remember people your parents told you about Santa Claus, the Easter bunny, and so on, then realizing they lied to us, does that mean God is not real either?

How God, Buddha, Atheistism, Aliens or whatever your beliefs and thoughts are to you, you cherish, so someone asks you what your beliefs are, you bite the hand that dictates you, it's not like he's trying to shove it down your throat heaven for bid it be a dirty blade in a previous post, but really, common sense, answer truthfully, be funny, creative, this may tell us what kind of a person you really are, logic, open minded, careless, closed minded, stale, funny, sweet, kick ass etc...

I like to share, I'm a people person, I'm a leader, I'm honest, warm hearted, considerate and the odd open minded-depending on what we are talking about behind close doors. :wink: :wink:

Really God to me if it werent for him, I'd be gone by now and thats all you have to know, but for some reason I'm still here, thanks to the kind medics, anyway I believe he has a plan and no matter how bad it stinks to you, to me it matters.

I lost my 16 yr old sister to a mva, and it's really hard when your 6 yrs old and the police tells everybody that something bad happened, then they leave and everybody is crying. It's even worse when your only brother dies of cancer, he was 42 and he suffered for 3 yrs, so by now your angry at God, when you didnt even believe in him the first time, I did I gave my life to him when I was 17 yrs old. So all this is taking place, then my father passed away 2003 from the terminal illness-if you see in previous post about statin therapy and neuromuscular degeneration and to top it all off-last yr my mother is diagnosed with frontal-temporal dementia and reading in the paper they found the gene, so now they can do genetic testing because it is a hereitary disease, lucky me. I quit my job in 2002 to look after my father full time, until he passed away and then I cared for the last 3 yrs of my life looking after my Mother who now lives in a nursing home, that's located not even 5 minute's away.

So when you look at my so called shitty life, I remember what I was told, God has a plan, and I am a part of that plan, because if you look at it, I'm 43 yrs old, I'm not getting any younger well ppl think I'm 25 (young genes) :D

go figure.

I dont expect YOU to understand, but out of respect, I would hope you cared (Is that what you became an EMT/Medic for)?

I'm lonely today because the house is empty, it's just me and my 2 cats, 45 yrs worth of memories thats going to take me quite a while to clean up, and if it werent for God, I wouldnt be here SHARING this with you now.

God Bless

Just curious but how do they determine that the earth is billions of years old? Are they accurate? Because for us bible believing people..the earth should only be maybe 6000 or so years old. And you would think that dinosaur bones from billions or millions of years ago would be nothing but specks of dust.

But aside that...yes I believe in God...always have...always will. I have seen to many things and experienced to many things in my life to believe otherwise. I don't think things just happen by chance, we are all here on purpose for a purpose. This is a subject that will always be debated.

Ditto of what Rid and Windsong said. Excellent choice of words........

This topic got very ugly in another forum, which will remain nameless. Some people left and I was one of them. I have not returned.

I am ashamed I don't know my religion well, I cannot quote out of the Bible and I don't speak as eloquently as the others have. I have a rather unorthodox relationship with God but hey, it works and gives me peace in my life.

God has provided well for me in acceptance, understanding, and placing me in certain situations when I doubted his love for me so I could once again renew our relationship. I try not to pray for things I want, but instead pray for forgiveness, and most of all acceptance and the courage to accept the things I cannot change. I live the Serenity Prayer to the best of my ability and it gets me through some of the worst stuff in my life. I was introduced to this prayer during my recovery and put a different spin on how I was going to remap my life.

So, yeah......I believe in God:)

I very strongly believe in G-d. I also believe in science and evolution. These beliefs do not have to be mutually exclusive. Open up an A&P book. I just cant believe that we evolved from the primordial ooze by accident. To me, thinking that this is random chance does not make sense.

I always thought that asking someone if they belive in God was a bit like asking someone "do you believe in Santa Claus"...

Personally I'm not a big fan of the traditional "God created the heavens and the earth, so you better do what he says!" view that some people expouse. I don't believe in all that, but I'm not a total atheist either. I believe in some things though... For example I believe transformers are actually robots in disguise. I also believe that there's something more to life than the purely physical world. What with energy and so much still not understood about the nature of matter, time and space, it's entirely possible there may be some kind of... dare I say, creative force-- whatever it may be.

That being said, I think one of the most beautiful theological arguments was made in an episode of Futurama, entitled "Godfellas". This is where Bender experiences what it's like to be a minor deity... I highly recommend it!

Just curious but how do they determine that the earth is billions of years old? Are they accurate? Because for us bible believing people..the earth should only be maybe 6000 or so years old. And you would think that dinosaur bones from billions or millions of years ago would be nothing but specks of dust. .

We know this because of one crucial little thing called evidence.

In science, evidence and findings are gathered from all different sources, analyzed, researched, debated, and put forth as theory. Old theories are replaced with new ones in light of new evidence. The age of the Earth is approximate, known from mostly geological data. It's really neat what they can figure out just by looking at layers of rocks, sediments, fossils, and tectonic plate movement. Go to your local limestone creekbed, and look at the rocks for a while. Chances are, you'll see at least one fossil of a plant or animal, millions of years old.

Dinosaurs are from about 180 to 64 million years old... Actually you don't see their bones at all. What you do see are the fossilized remains of their bones. In certain conditions, flesh and bone can be slowly (over millions of years) replaced by minerals from the surrounding soil.

Not only can geology tell us about the age of things, so can astrophysics... By knowing the speed of light, we can calculate how far away celestial objects are, and how much things have moved over time. I know there's a formula around here somewhere, but it's interesting how they can figure out the age of things like that.

Science is neat 8)

I agree...science is an awesome thing and very interesting and fun. And a lot about the dinosaurs is still being theorized...like their extinction. Where as before it was an ice age that killed them...now its a meteorite. Which I'm believing more of the meteorite theory...because even the bible says the stars will fall from the heavens in the last days...so what happened then will happen again I believe.

I wish I was more religious but I totally fall short of what is expected of one...that is why I'm so glad that there is forgiveness for people like me :D

Wow I'm sick for a few days and I missed a thread about the oldest questions known to the human race. Is there a God?

First off I want to state unequivocally that Bronchitis sucks, I have never had it before and I never want to have it again. Seven days of hacking, coughing and generally feeling like crap, it was like a seven day hangover without the usual fun that makes it worthwhile.

Now back to whole God or no God question. It is my personal belief that we are missing the really big question, it's not whether God is real, it's do we have an eternal soul? You can have God without a soul, maybe earth is nothing more than some omnipotent beings galactic ant farm. We are just beings that live and die and nothing more. The question we really want answered is what happens after we die, the whole eternal soul thing. There will never be an answer, science will never be able to prove it and neither will religion. So no matter what we believe happens after we die it is shear faith. The only way to get an answer is to die. Don't worry though you'll get your answer in time, we all will.

Since we will never know if we have an eternal soul until we die the question becomes how do we live our lives? Do we live a life with faith in a loving God who has plans for us beyond this world or do we live a life with the belief that this is it? There are good and bad people in both camps, I just have to ask when was the last time you took a patient to an Atheist based hospital? Religion has had both its good and bad, but I have noticed in my lifetime that the people who are there when things are at there worst are usually faith based groups. The Red Cross, Red Crescent, The Salvation Army and Magen David Adom are just a few and they're all agencies based in faith. I am not saying that atheist are not charitable, I'm sure they are. As a group however they do not have a presence when it comes to giving as the faithful do. Not a slam, just an observation.

My personal belief is that there is a loving God out there, who cares about us and has a plan for each of us. If this makes me ignorant or a redneck so be it. I will live my life with the belief that we owe our creator for the life we have been given. That each and every day I will try and help someone, somehow. I will not preach my beliefs to anyone, we must choose our own paths and live our own lives. My pulpit will be how treat others, I might not be perfect in that but I try and I hope God understands that.

In conclusion I leave you with a verse from a couple of good ol' boys...

[align=center:fa7cfaa85a]I raise my hands, bow my head

I'm finding more and more truth in the words written in red

They tell me that there's more to life than just what I can see

Oh I believe[/align:fa7cfaa85a]

Peace,

Marty

:joker: