NYC 911 BLS Jobs

This post explains a lot. :roll:

So he is a FDNY hosemonkey? No wonder he says JEMS rated them #1. In their top 200 cities EMS poll they go by population. New York is #1. It has nothing to do with quality of care, it's just population. :lol:

What an idiot. FDNY's finest, NOT. :roll:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's true that Transcare runs EMS in many of the voluntaries, especially in the Bronx. They have Bronx Lebanon, Montefiore, and Einstein to name a few. I worked for Transcare as an EMT-B, and they should be avoided like the plague. They are profit-driven corporate healthcare at it's worst. They cut corners at every opportunity, and have no respect for their employees.

You're better off with voluntaries that run their own EMS like Columbia Presbyterian or even the Catholic hospitals under St Vincent's. I've found them to be less restrictive than working for FDNY, although you are still working under FDNY supervisors, and most pay better too. I now happily work for a voluntary, though I won't say which one. I've seen people get jammed up for things they thought were said anonymously in forums.

Overall, I do have to agree that NYC isn't the best place to work EMS. The lack of both salary and respect can be frustrating at times in a city where firefighters are worshiped as America's heroes and consider Paramedics and EMTs to be "ambulance drivers". I personally know a FDNY EMT-B crew who needed a facilities break and found the ambulance bay at the ED jammed with buses and supervisors on a busy night. Rather than add to the crowd, they decided to try the firehouse around the corner. After ringing the bell and respectfully asking to use the bathroom, they were denied. The firefighter who answered the door told them that civilians weren't permitted in the firehouse, while his idiot buddies laughed in the background.

Frustrating, to say the least.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

I'm wondering just how common it is for EMS'ers to "move up" to the fire side. We hear a lot about it, but is it an everyday occurrence, or is it about as common as medics getting into medical school? And do those who actually make that move tend to remain true to their EMS roots, or do they tend to turn on us in order to fit in with the rest of the hosemonkeys?

I'm wondering just how common it is for EMS'ers to "move up" to the fire side. We hear a lot about it, but is it an everyday occurrence, or is it about as common as medics getting into medical school? And do those who actually make that move tend to remain true to their EMS roots, or do they tend to turn on us in order to fit in with the rest of the hosemonkeys?

There's always at least 10-15% of any FD class that comes from EMS. The vast majority of people I've known who have moved from EMS to firefighter here in NYC have been EMT-Bs. In fact, I don't personally know any Medics who have made the switch. I believe that's because Medic school is such a large commitment of time, money, lost salary during rotations etc, that most people who go through it are in it for the long haul. There's also the fact that Medic and EMTs are on equal footing when it comes to the firefighter exam, so why go through all that time and expense if you just want to become a firefighter anyway?

This isn't to say that there aren't extremely dedicated EMT-Bs, I work with tons of them. But there were also at least five people in my EMT-B class that were only becoming EMTs to give them a foot in the door to become firefighters.

As for EMTs I've known who've crossed to the "dark side" :twisted: :wink: , none have become blatant assholes, but there is usually a bit of tension. When I run into them on jobs, they'll give me a nod or a quiet "sup?", but usually no more than that. In the "us against them" world of NYC EMS and firefighters, they're definitely "them" now.

I'm wondering just how common it is for EMS'ers to "move up" to the fire side.

Enough that it's still a root cause for most of the problems between FDNY and FDNY*EMS. You'd have to figure that many of the guys who were the problem when the merger first happened have retired by now.

Actually, a majority of the FDNY guys I have contact with have nothing but respect for EMS- they know the workload these guys are carrying, and respect the fact that they WANT to do it. The ones they can't stand those who go EMS to get into Fire "the easy way."

Obviously there's no way to tell ahead of time whose in EMS for what reason, so unfortunately it seems like there's a lot of guilt by association going on.

Obviously there's no way to tell ahead of time whose in EMS for what reason, so unfortunately it seems like there's a lot of guilt by association going on.

Normally, I would say that any EMT not actively in the process of furthering his or her EMS education is immediately suspect of being one of those back-door men you are referring to. But I have come to realise that NYC is a whole different animal from the rest of the EMS world. No where else have I ever seen people who actually seriously intend to make an entire career from nothing but a 120 hour first aid course. It's obviously just a different head up there. :?

Normally, I would say that any EMT not actively in the process of furthering his or her EMS education is immediately suspect of being one of those back-door men you are referring to. But I have come to realise that NYC is a whole different animal from the rest of the EMS world. No where else have I ever seen people who actually seriously intend to make an entire career from nothing but a 120 hour first aid course. It's obviously just a different head up there. :?

There's a local private company that has a Basic who has to be collecting Social Security. He's legendary. Far as I know he's been a Basic about 20-30 years. Works 8 hours, weekdays, on a BLS truck, doing about 99% transfers (working a BLS truck on a company that does primarily transfers to begin with, it's just your lot in life).

You know what? He couldn't be happier. He clucks over the old ladies, makes sure all his patients are comfortable, works hard, carries his load, and never complains.

It's not what I want out of life, but why do I care what he does? I've got better things to do than worry about whether or not he's working on being an almighty Paramedic because I think it's important for him to do so.

This is the latest scam by FDNY Chiefs.... Their kids cant pass the FDNY PT test and get high enough to be competitive so they go into EMS for a few years and take tyhe insider test and get made...... A LARGE majority of new EMT's come on the job ONLY to FAST track to FDNY, they spend 2,3, 4 years there and leave..... disposable work force

According to an NREMT poll, only 11% of EMS personnel make it to retireement and are still in EMS......

• 4 weeks later...

I have my name on the list for FDNY EMS. I am also a firefighter. I am not even considering a switch to Fire from EMS. I love being a firefighter, I love working EMS. But as a firefighter I would never want to work for FDNY. Crap pay, crap working conditions. Yeah there is alot of prestige from the rest of the E.S. community and all that, but IMO its just not worth putting up with all the political BS that goes on. Just my .02

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.