The importance of what is said around patients

This one of those "You ain't gonna believe this!" Two shifts ago me and my partner was dispatched for an OD. Well, this guy was unresponsive and vomiting. I used a sternum rub on him to get any kind of response from him, in which I did. My partner asked for a medical assist for an engine company to get he guy out (big patient) plus for a driver for unit since both of us was going to be in back.

Well, we got to the ER and the patient was unconscious the whole trip. We transferred him and all info over and went about our business.

Now last Saturday when I was working, I delivered a patient to the ER, gave all info to the ER Staff, when a gentleman walked up to me and said "Were you on a OD call last week?", in which I replied "Yes". Well long story short he told me he was the patient, in which I recognized him, and he told me (GET THIS GANG!!) "I heard every word you guys said, it was weird how all I could hear but not answer or respond to anything, I even felt the Sternum Rub, and it hurt like a bitch!" He also said "In the ER I could hear them discuss how they were going to intubate me!"

So lesson learned: WATCH WHAT YOU SAY AROUND THE PATIENT!! CONSCIOUS OR UNCONSCIOUS!!

This one of those "You ain't gonna believe this!" Two shifts ago me and my partner was dispatched for an OD. Well, this guy was unresponsive and vomoiting. I used a sternum rub on him to get any kind of response from him, in which I did. My parner asked for a medical assist for an engine company to get he guy out (big patient) plus for a driver for unit since both of us was going to be in back.

Well, we got to the ER and the patient was unconscious the whole trip. We transfered him and all info over and went about our business.

Now last Saturday when I was working, I delivered a patient to the ER, gave all info to the ER Staff, when a gentleman walked up to me and said "Were you on a OD call last week?", in which I replied "Yes". Well long story short he told me he was the patient, in which I recognized him, and he told me (GET THIS GANG!!) "I heard every word you guys said, it was weird how all I could hear but not answer or respond to anything, I even felt the Sternum Rub, and it hurt like a bitch!" He also said "In the ER I could hear them discuss how they were going to intubate me!"

So lesson learned: WATCH WHAT YOU SAY AROUND THE PATIENT!! CONSCIOUS OR UNCONSCIOUS!!

There is another thread here about this started recently by STCommodore I believe...Yes, you must be careful with what you say and when you say it.

ACE844

Now last Saturday when I was working, I delivered a patient to the ER, gave all info to the ER Staff, when a gentleman walked up to me and said "Were you on a OD call last week?"

I think that is weirder than the fact he heard stuff while he was "unconscious".

Hearing is one of the last senses to go and one of the first to return. I always talk to my patients in a calm voice as they drift off to sleep and I also tell unconscious trauma patients that I am going to give them something for their pain and then place a breathing tube. That is also why the operating room is supposed to be quiet during induction of and emergence from anesthesia. Unfortunately that is a problem with new nurses and surgical techs because of poor training.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

Well, I've been in this thing for starting 34 years, most of the time I was a volunteer but I'm a career EMT now, and I have always heard the importance of what you say in front of patients but an unconscious patient I never would have given much thought, and he said he heard my voice on Saturday when I was giving info to the triage nurse for another patient and he said he recognized my voice when I transported him. Lesson learned! Thats for sure!

I had surgery a couple of years ago - rotator cuff repair. When I came to I felt like a loser and I had wasted health care dollars. Those thoughts weren't in my mind when I was put under, so I can only assume that this was said during the surgery.

It took me awhile to shake those feelings - I may have been finally pain free, but depression set in during the recovery period.

Since then, I have been very careful on what I've said when treating an unconscious patient.

DJ

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.