Young ride alongs and EMT's

Walrus

Whats comical is that I have never once in my career, ever had this conversation in my work place, maybe due to the fact that we don't have much down time.

We all realize when your knee deep in it 24 hours a day, that arguing about things that we cant change and probably will never see change in our lifetime isn't really worth the effort.

We work together, we both have a specific job to do. I have never heard another medic that I work with state "I wish there was another medic here".

There confident in their education and knowledge to be the lone person on scene making decisions.

There are 100 decisions made on scene, a handful of them maybe, are ALS. Those are the ones they concern themselves with.

The others are left to the other competent providers on scene regardless of level.

Do we all stand in a line in order of education and await are tasks. Bullsh*t. We are allowed these privileges due to the fact that we have proven ourselves competent to make those decisions.

We have a third year med student that's works with us. Do we question her education, abilities, or competency? No. Would a medics we work with just hand her the reins to run a scene because she is educated. Highly doubtful. Why? Because she has no EXPERIENCE in handling those situations.

So say what you want about education, cling to it, praise it, live by it. I ll choose the guy with the experience, and ride with him any day, all day.

I have been in many a classroom, with the youth today. You barley have to be conscious never mind oriented to receive a degree.

So stick your head in the sand and claim a medic is the only one capable of doing this job. I will line up 100 medics that will tell you to go "YOU KNOW WHAT".

Yeah tell me again how I am just an EMT who has no aspiration of furthering my education in EMS. And I will agree with you. Your right I have no aspiration of furthering my education in regards to EMS. I have chosen to further it in other areas.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One slight problem with that description whit:

Class room + Field experience = Education

You can't really have one without the other to consider yourself "educated"

Take a student out of the classroom with no experience, what will you end up with?

Take an EMT with 20 years of field experience, that has not tried to further themselves, and holds to the minimum standard that they learned in class all those years ago, you will end up with the same problem in the end.

The information that is presented must be expanded on by field experience. That is why all paramedic classes require as much, if not more clinical/vehicular time than they do classroom time. Even with that, the most new providers will learn comes in the first few weeks they are forced to practice on their own, without a safety net.

The learning curve is much steeper for those that did not get exposed to the information in class. You also can't take an EMT class, not apply the information for 15-20 years and expect to have good results either. I'm sure you've come across providers like that in your practice, if not where are you, because I am tired of dealing with them.

Although at 16 I would have loved a program that allowed me to ride on an ambulance, I would rather not see that happen. If I had a school kid with me I'd probably be worrying about them the whole time, and I'd rather simply be focusing on my patient.

• 1 month later...

I am a 16 year old EMT-B in New Jersey, in the cadet program (16-17) at my local first aid squad.

My squad does have several rules regarding cadets (MUST be an EMT-B before we're allowed to ride; cannot go to calls at the jail or courthouse, anything related to abuse or alcohol/drugs). Each cadet is under the direct supervision of a senior member at all times, and may only do what the senior member instructs us to. Cadets on my squad are usually permitted to perform a variety of tasks... however a majority of the time, all that's needed is for us to do vitals, oxygen administration, and paperwork, but i know two cadets who have gotten the opportunity to use the defibrillator, and one has even delivered a baby.

Believe it or not, we know what we're doing. We had to take the same EMT-B course as the adults, we took the same written and practical tests (aside from national registry), and sat through the exact same lectures. We know what each piece of equipment is used for, and we know how to use it! Senior members should never have to worry about a cadet. All they should have to do is give us a task to perform. We're just as capable as they are.

I am a 16 year old EMT-B in New Jersey, in the cadet program (16-17) at my local first aid squad.

My squad does have several rules regarding cadets (MUST be an EMT-B before we're allowed to ride; cannot go to calls at the jail or courthouse, anything related to abuse or alcohol/drugs). Each cadet is under the direct supervision of a senior member at all times, and may only do what the senior member instructs us to. Cadets on my squad are usually permitted to perform a variety of tasks... however a majority of the time, all that's needed is for us to do vitals, oxygen administration, and paperwork, but i know two cadets who have gotten the opportunity to use the defibrillator, and one has even delivered a baby.

Believe it or not, we know what we're doing. We had to take the same EMT-B course as the adults, we took the same written and practical tests (aside from national registry), and sat through the exact same lectures. We know what each piece of equipment is used for, and we know how to use it! Senior members should never have to worry about a cadet. All they should have to do is give us a task to perform. We're just as capable as they are.

Okay there itself is the problem(s) .. first, ever figure out why the rest of the U.S. other than New Jersey and a couple other states still have first-aid squads instead of EMS? And NO their not the same.

Believe it or not there is a reason why NREMT does not allow kids to take the test, it is not the didactic training and skill stations. It is the maturity and ability of life experiences and the ability of thought processing .. yes, scientific speaking does not occur until about the ages of 18 to 25.

Now, the community does not allow you to respond to emergencies that involves alcohol... That is smart since that means over half of the MVA's and GSW's, domestics, altercations, fights, falls, overdoses, involve ETOH intoxication. Makes the call volume small huh?

Take vitals signs.. good, after the first set, I have a machine that can do that..

Not worry about other crew members.. there again, is the immaturity. I worry about members that are double to triple your age on calls. You see it is my responsibility.. that is part of the job.

Do the paper work? I certainly hope that you do not mean the patients report or medical report. Attorneys, would have a field day on a minor .. not just giving care, but documenting it as well. If you did a procedure wrong, does your parents know that they may loose financially as well?

Now, I have your feathers ruffled, let me inform you I too started in the field at the age of 16. Even completed my first Paramedic training by the age of 17... and that was 28 years ago. So, yes I can speak from experience. EMS is a medical profession. The role of EMS can and does affect many at any age that can produce long lasting effects. Be it traumatic events or psychological tragedies. How a person can deal with such events is largely based upon coping mechanisms developed during their life time. It even effects some at the age of 40 forever. read a few of the posts.... Just knowing how a piece of equipment, the memorization of classroom lecture is really only about 10% of this job. The other 90 % is difficult to describe and has to do with dealing with people (even the drunk ones), taking care of peoples needs (albeit may not be medical), and yes, even worrying about your partner.

It is nice to see youth interested in EMS, but placing the responsibility and liability on one is dangerous for both the patient and Junior Medic. I highly encourage you, if you have the desire to continue into EMS is ... to enjoy life and have fun.. EMS will be there when you reach the appropriate age.. you will have not missed anything. As well, within 2-4 years, you will see a major difference in yourself on how you think and react.

If the community really cared for its citizens they would contract or install a professional EMS, that can provide more than First Aid or at least use them for that ... provide the first aid followed by EMS for medical care and transport. Especially not using youth for free labor.

R/r911

Look, under 18 year olds on the bus is just a dumb idea. If you are a working crew, you can't really pick and choose the calls you can go on with the teen in the back, and even if you could, 99.9% of the times the really bad calls never come through with the gory details until you are well enroute.

There are things this world can throw us that will make the most experienced, mature, seasoned paramedic and push him or her to the emotional and mental breaking point. How would you expect the teen to react?