Young ride alongs and EMT's

Walrus

Dust wrote:

EMTs are not my co-workers

Anyway

That would include getting the proper education to do so.

Do I not have a certification that is required of me? Thank you, I think I do.

Image is everything. If you aren't worried about it, you aren't doing your job in a professional manner.

No sir, image is your perception of what other people think of you. That does not factor into the way I conduct myself. I conduct myself in a professional manner, because I see my self as a professional. The view of some one else is just that. Their view, I am not concerned, effected or driven by someone else's view of me.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So does me in a hot tub with Jeniffer Lopez, Denise Richards, and Jessica Alba.

How could you forget about Miranda Lambert?

Actions speak louder then words. You don't have to stand on a roof and shout about how good an EMT or medic you are. "I am a professional." Show up every day, do your job competently and effectively.

Since when did 120 hours of training that included A&P, pathophysio, skills, medicolegal, microbio, introductions, testing, etc make anyone "competent" or "effective?" When the answer to every medical call is, "15 LPM via NRB, call ALS," then you aren't a provider, you're a driver.

Umm, I wouldn't be proud of being the minimum in this field. There are enough moron paramedics and basics as it is.

It does sound good for everyone to need to have grad degrees, but maybe we should worry about taking little steps rather then big steps first. Just because your not educated doesn't mean you can't appear to be a health professional in you're treatment of patients and attention to detail. I think the first step is for us to all get are colleagues to appear as health professionals and the public will see this.

You need a destination before you plan your trip.

-Poor JPINFV's Almanac

Dust wrote:

That would include getting the proper education to do so.

Required of you to do what? Call yourself an EMT like a million other uneducated and unemployed wankers?

There it is. The root of your problem. You actually think a certificate is the same thing as proper education.

That is why your drivel is unworthy of response. You are either too dense to comprehend, or you are too dishonest to admit reality because it cheapens your little 80 hour certificate.

Yeh sorry about the grammer guys.. just uste to msn lol... sorry to start an argument lol. I dont see why cadets shouldnt be allowed to put there skills into action i mean they dont just let us out with no training like we've done heaps of courses and have to take part in weekly training and pass yearly re-accreditaion as well as going out on duty every weekend. We cant give IV drugs or anything to fancy just advanced first aid, defib and 02 and a few things like that... I've never heard of a cadet killing a patient geezz I've even saved a couple of ppl with only a cadet crew (15 n 16 year olds)

JPINFV Wrote:

Since when did 120 hours of training that included A&P, pathophysio, skills, medicolegal, microbio, introductions, testing, etc make anyone "competent" or "effective?" When the answer to every medical call is, "15 LPM via NRB, call ALS," then you aren't a provider, you're a driver.

As stated before. Don't assume you know my level of education. But here is a hint for you it included anatomy and physiology, wasn't thrown together in a 4 week class like most medic programs. So does that make me an expert?

Umm, I wouldn't be proud of being the minimum in this field. There are enough moron paramedics and basics as it is.

So being proud equates to being a moron? Noted.

Dust wrote:

Required of you to do what? Call yourself an EMT like a million other uneducated and unemployed wankers?

Again, don't assume you know my level of education. So being an EMT goes hand and hand with being uneducated? I am not unemployed. Really who is the wanker here?

There it is. The root of your problem. You actually think a certificate is the same thing as proper education.

Did I say that? No. When EMS requires a proper education to continue in this field, then we can talk about that.

That is why your drivel is unworthy of response. You are either too dense to comprehend, or you are too dishonest to admit reality because it cheapens your little 80 hour certificate.

The reality is I wont be holding my breath waiting for a response from someone who's opinion means nothing to me.

JPINFV Wrote:

As stated before. Don't assume you know my level of education. But here is a hint for you it included anatomy and physiology, wasn't thrown together in a 4 week class like most medic programs. So does that make me an expert?

Well, you are calling basics "professionals".

So being proud equates to being a moron? Noted.

Being proud that you have a "certificate" equates to being a moron, regardless of your level. Providers should be proud of their education, if they have one. The letters behind your name might allow you to do something, but the path to your current location determins how good of a provider you are. Protocols and SOPs are made for the worst provider, not the best. There is a women at my work who takes care of the stock room. There is a reason she isn't working on an ambulance. There is a similar reason why she has her NREMT-B certificate framed and hung in the stock room.

I am new to this forum and am an EMT

My service is rural and only ILS in the most advanced members. Our response times range anywhere from 5min. to an hour depending on were the pt is located we even have to borrow snowmobiles and quads at times to get to the pt. or just hike with what we can carry. Being a professional is not a certificate but a way of life. Though my service only has EMT's we still save lives. No we cant give advanced drugs but we can be there for the pt. and provide care that goes beyond just driving fast with them strapped to a gurney. If an EMS service has both EMT's and Paramedics great EMT's can take calls that dont fully need ALS and allow the ALS crew free for the call that they are actually needed on. The nearest Paramedic in my service area is a twenty minute Medstar flight if they can even launch, so we can and do do what needs to be done to save lives and help the one thing that is the most important in all our lives and that is the Patient. Besides if I am not mistaken isn't a Paramedic really an EMT-P? So if being only a Basic makes me less than anybody who devotes sleep time to help a perfect stranger who dials 911 expecting a compassionate person doing a job they love then I guess I am but I am not going to lose to much sleep over it.

I don't see why cadets shouldn't be allowed to put there skills into action i mean they don't just let us out with no training like we've done heaps of courses and have to take part in weekly training and pass yearly re-accreditaion as well as going out on duty every weekend. We cant give IV drugs or anything to fancy just advanced first aid, defib and 02 and a few things like that... I've never heard of a cadet killing a patient geezz I've even saved a couple of ppl with only a cadet crew (15 n 16 year olds)

See Maybe I am being a little bit of a jerk but why are you looking after a pt with only a cadet crew. As an adult if i was hurt and had the ability to speak I personally would wait for adult EMS before letting you guys touch me. you are kids.

You cannot drive a car but you feel you should be allowed to deal with a fracture of a C1 at a motor cross without and adult to supervise? I totally disagree........ And that is coming from someone like you...I once (years ago) was a St. John Ambulance Cadet and at that age I thought the same as you "we should be allowed to do everything an adult can" and that is a bad idea..

Once I matured and took more classes I was shocked at the stuff I thought I knew... and to answer your question/ comment I have heard of St john Ambulance cadets that have killed patients and it was because they tried to play paramedic and thought they knew but screwed up royally.

Does anyone agree or am I just a crackhead?

Dude come on... I never said I was a paramedic dont have anywere near the skills and experience they have and I havent been to uni for 4 years... Im only qualifyed in advanced first aid and basic EMS and would never go any futher that what Ive been trained to do. And Im not one of those cadets who think there god I love learning new skills and take all the adivce I can get and then try to put it into practise. The situations Ive been put in with a cadet crew havent been easy the only reason there were no adults was casue there was none availbe at them time and this guy needed urgent treatment and would have died b4 an adult got there! I live in a rural area my divison covers the biggest area in the state and were understaffed for most of our dutys so you take wat you've got and if thats a bunch of 16 year olds then so be it...

Oh and wats driving a car got to do with a C spine fracture???