Young ride alongs and EMT's

Walrus

In Australia we have an organisation called St John Ambulance its Australias largest event first aid provider. I've been in it since I was 11 going to motocross, concerts n all that stuff. I think itz a great idea for getting experience and every patient you learn something new. Altho theres allways 2 "adult" members with you its still good. I dont know how many times cadets have saved the adults when they frooze or didnt know wat to do I've done it heaps of times. Now im 16 the adults have a bit more trust in you and most of the time you get 2 work on ppl by ur self.

You cant ride with the proffesinal paramedics as you need to be a uni for 4 yrs so u have to be at least 21.

When you say I've had a 16 yr old emt workn on me r they supervised by a paramedic or is it jst them?

Timmy

That's great, 16 years old and already showing the adult what to do. Not out of high school, can't drive, can't even type without using words like "n" "itz" "altho" "ppl".

It's one thing to have the 16-18 year olds do ride alongs, i agree with the no patient contact, except maybe taking vitals on a non-critical patient. But i don't think 16 yeards olds should be working as EMT's. End of story.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's great, 16 years old and already showing the adult what to do. Not out of high school, can't drive, can't even type without using words like "n" "itz" "altho" "ppl".

It's one thing to have the 16-18 year olds do ride alongs, i agree with the no patient contact, except maybe taking vitals on a non-critical patient. But i don't think 16 yeards olds should be working as EMT's. End of story.

I was an EMS explorer with my department. The "hands off" rule was bent a few times after I got my CFR cert. I was allowed to take vitals, and there were a few times I ended up assisting with CPR, cric pressure, etc.

But i don't think 16 yeards olds should be working as EMT's. End of story.

And EMTs shouldn't be working on ambulances either. End of story.

But that's a 'whole nother topic. :lol:

Oooooh... ouch.

All I'm going to say is this:

Let's NOT go there! I don't think we'll ever see eye-to-eye on that issue.

I don't think we'll ever see eye-to-eye on that issue.

I have faith in you. I think you will once you're a medic and realise how much you didn't know as an EMT. I did. :wink:

In Australia we have an organisation called St John Ambulance its Australias largest event first aid provider. I've been in it since I was 11 going to motocross, concerts n all that stuff. I think itz a great idea for getting experience and every patient you learn something new. Altho theres allways 2 "adult" members with you its still good. I dont know how many times cadets have saved the adults when they frooze or didnt know wat to do I've done it heaps of times. Now im 16 the adults have a bit more trust in you and most of the time you get 2 work on ppl by ur self.

You cant ride with the proffesinal paramedics as you need to be a uni for 4 yrs so u have to be at least 21.

When you say I've had a 16 yr old emt workn on me r they supervised by a paramedic or is it jst them?

Timmy

grammarstarwars.jpg

But they shuold be allowed to tube and give narcan... right? :wink:

I have an idea:

Why don't we require a masters degree for any persons working in a pre-hospital enviorment. Then we wont ever have this argument again we will all be highly educated, knowledgeable and competent.

EMS will be considered a profession rather then a job.

We will never have another issue with some yum yum screwing up. How could we? If your educated and knowledgeable that translates into competency.

We will all make six figures. Live in giant houses, drive expensive cars, and all have summer houses in the south of France. We could all meet in the Hampton's every year and have a big party.

Sound good.

So does me in a hot tub with Jeniffer Lopez, Denise Richards, and Jessica Alba.

However I know its a fantasy.

Is it nice to think about? Sure

Could it happen? Maybe but doubtful.

So why don't we stop kicking around are own co-workers, do our job in a professional manner, and stop worrying about everyone else thinks about us.

We are what we are.

Actions speak louder then words. You don't have to stand on a roof and shout about how good an EMT or medic you are. "I am a professional." Show up every day, do your job competently and effectively.

People will notice.

I don't need a Mercedes parked in the driveway of my 10,000sq ft house. To consider my self professional.

Sorry for the hijacking