Young ride alongs and EMT's

Walrus

I highly doubt that anyone is impressed with 50 calls. Especially if you aren't even a basic.

I didn't say it to impress anyone, just letting you know that I actually have dealt with certain situations you were refering to.

Not exactly brain surgery. Vitals aren't that hard to learn. Administering O2 safely? Memorize some limits (1-6 for NC, 10-15 [i.e. keep bag inflated] for NRB) and make sure no one smokes around it. CPR is taught to middle schoolers. The question is, do you know the how [and not, 1. attach NRB to O2 source. 2. dial in flow rate. 3. inflate bag. 4 put on patient] and the why of your actions?

yes, I do know that.

1. Legal issues of consent. Should someone who can't even sign a contract be allowed to transport someone against their will (psych, for example)? How about get someone to sign AMA?

2. Field advancement. You don't see 17 year old RNs.

3. Professionalism. Honestly, how many of your school mates would you like to be treating you after you've been in an accident? Laws have to regulate people who fit the rule [i.e. minors are, in general, immature], not the exception.

1, I do not deal with most psych patients due to the fact I'm under 18. You don't see 17 year old RN's because they have not reached that level of schooling yet. I'm sure if someone could do the classes and pass the tests a 17 year old RN might be possible. I don't remember an age restriction. Professionalism? Buddy, really. Try again.

Then these people are not just "only an EMT." I'm paid, and I'm not "only an EMT." I'm also a college student too, among other thing. These people are bankers, and repairmen, and clerks, and advertisers, and a whole host of other jobs, some of which help them be EMTs and some jobs that don't help. I'm not going to defend volunteerism and the whole 'sacrafist' mentality that seems to make volunteers think they are god-like, but these people are not "just EMTs."

Ok, so I won't be only an EMT, I'll be a student, worker, and EMT in one.. Happy? But compared to ALS and your scope of practice, you're only an EMT. No one said voulnteers are god like, but putting 120 hours into a class on top of the rest of my life is not easy. Trust me, I expect no sympanthy.

How many emergent/urgent calls are honestly BLS calls? Is a simple broken arm a BLS call? Shouldn't they get pain control?

There are alot of BLS calls. And there is probaly alot more ALS calls. Is a simple broken arm a BLS call, definetally. We keep the patient as comfortable as we can while providing transport to a more advances facility (hospital). Pain control through medications requires ALS. I'm sure my patient can last the 5 minute ride to the hospital instead of wasting that ALS unit on something so minor.

Psych calls? What about chemical restraints?

Over a year working BLS part time, I've come to the conclusion that there is almost never a true BLS call outside of interfacility [dialysis, basic transfer, psych, discharge]. At the very least, most of the emergent calls (especially IFT ER calls) would benefit from the extra assessment tools provided by paramedics that basics can't use due to a lack of education.

Talk to the people who write the curriculum.

If anything, this is the best reason to get rid of volunteers. A provider should never use their cert level (basic or paramedic), call type (911 vs event standby vs on-site response [themeparks, etc] vs IFT) or their company as an excuse to suck. Your company might suck, or you might be limited by your cert level, but that is no reason for you to suck at your job.

Who said anything about sucking at my job? I use my cerification (well, right now lack there of) as an excuse. How else can I explain to a patient in pain why I can't give them pain medication. I treat everyone the same no matter what kind of call it is. Also, my company is pretty damn good thank you very much.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you could put your foot in your mouth any further I would tell you to go Ripley's Believe It or Not. How about you just stop before that hole in your ass gets ripped any further. This kid is bumping his gums and he can't even vote yet. :lol:

>Many EMT's and many are pretty good ones with descent experiance and knowledge.

Main Entry: de·scent

Pronunciation: di-'sent

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French descente, from Anglo-French descendre

1 a : derivation from an ancestor : BIRTH, LINEAGE <of French descent> b : transmission or devolution of an estate by inheritance usually in the descending line c : the fact or process of originating from an ancestral stock d : the shaping or development in nature and character by transmission from a source : DERIVATION

2 : the act or process of descending

3 : a step downward in a scale of gradation; specifically : one generation in an ancestral line or genealogical scale

4 a : an inclination downward : SLOPE b : a descending way (as a downgrade or stairway) c obsolete : the lowest part

5 a : ATTACK, INVASION b : a sudden disconcerting appearance (as for a visit)

6 : a downward step (as in station or value) : DECLINE <descent of the family to actual poverty>

A little more time in English class, a little less time on Ye Olde First Aid Squade, trooper, you'll be in a lot better shape. Whether you get paid or not is moot, we were talking about maturity and responsibility to the patient's and to our profession. If you really want to benefit the public, study hard, quit playing hero with the First Aid Squad, and become a politician and fight for modern EMS to come into your state. You'll help a great number of people.

My bad, I mis typed and put an 's' in that word.. Typing a huge paragraph, it's hard to believe I can mis type something. Isn't it? Btw, I don't like english and I'm not going to pretend to. Idc if I'm not getting paid. The ONLY reason I brought that up is because when you are going through high school and such, 120 hours is alot of time to dedicate to something. If I was out of high school and making it my ccareerthen 120 hours would mean nothing to me because it's what I need to make money. I don't know if that made sense. :? Anyway, I have no intention of playing hero, I just hate some peoples attitude toward BLS because we're "under trained", and because you're under 18 or 21 you have to be unprofessional. I really try my hardest to be professional and provide the absolute best care to my patients (within my scope of practice) and I get mad when some idiot who has no clue about any of what I do tries to make assumptions. To tell you the truth, I have no intention of being a politician. I want to be a flight nurse. Having my EMT certification and eexperienceso young will help me though more advanced training and give me eexperience Play hero? No. Make a difference I'll try my hardest.

You know what, whatever. It's &*%holes like you guys that really make me wonder why I would want to help people. You win. Think what you want. As soon as you guys get your heads out of your asses maybe you'll realize these "kids" are YOUR future.

In the future, remember that people who disagree with you are not ass holes. You'd realize that when you mature some day (age and maturity are not as related as people like to think).

If you could put your foot in your mouth any further I would tell you to go Ripley's Believe It or Not. How about you just stop before that hole in your ass gets ripped any further. This kid is bumping his gums and he can't even vote yet. :lol:

How old are you? Your come backs are as good at a 7 year olds. Really, talk about maturity. You're a prime example. :roll:

Dammit, I just can't let things go. Okay, look, blueangel, I'm sure you're not a bad guy even though you're from Jersey. I'm telling you this not because I have anything against teenagers, in fact, the judge says if I'm caught with anymore of them I'll be in serious trouble. I'm telling you this because its true. No one else on your squad will tell you this, but volunteer first aid squads are a detriment to both the people who work for them and the patients that are cared for by them. They will not further you anywhere in your career. The paid EMS spots in NJ are few and far between, and no professional training course, paramedic, RN, MD, PhD, PA, or CCCP, really gives a damn about how much time you have spent 'on squad'. You only risk embroiling yourself in a legal situation or becoming ill or injured with little to no compensation for your actions. Your actions volunteering also serve to lower the salary for paid EMS providers, and prevent appropriate resources from reaching appropriate patients. I say this as a paid professional paramedic, who has numerous friends in the field of medicine, at all levels, and family members in various positions in the health care and public safety sector. So, when I say "Stop playing hero and go back to English class", I mean it because if you really want to seriously pursue a career in medicine or public safety, its really, truly, the most sound advice you'll get.

Oh yeah, and you used 'descent' in place of 'decent' twice, and given that they are homonyms, I am led to believe it is a serious error in spelling rather than a typo. This is a trpo. This is a messpeling. See the difference? Oh, and just very last thing, I did 50 calls last month alone, just for some perspective.