Young ride alongs and EMT's

Walrus

Do you really think that you want to be there? Here is a long, graphic documentary video about an U.S. Army Field ER. Each time I view it, make me have more respect and honor our true fallen hero's... for or against the war, I honor those that have given the ultimate

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3...mp;q=Baghdad+ER

R/r 911

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baghdad ER, I saw one episode, and it is an amazingly powerful show. It is one of the few shows I have ever watched that I almost had to turn off because it was too emotional. The one scene where the doctors and Army staff were pretty much giving last rites to a young Marine who was internally exsanguinating, it was almost too much for me.

You have no idea how much I’d love to do something like that!! Seriously what an awesome experience. But you have to be 17 to join the army :)

Timmy your post has just said exactly why minors should not be doing ride alongs or working with real patients.

Your argument for maturity has just gone down the toilet.

That show hit me pretty squarely.

The guy weaping after his driver was killed by an IED.

The last rites over the dead on arrivals.

The doctor in the last 4 minutes or so of the series telling the exsanginuating soldier it was acceptable to die, if he wanted to.

It reminded me of the emotions of my first cardiac arrest I ever worked. The patient went from spontaneous circulation and breathing as well as fighting her ET tube to dead within two minutes. There was nothing me or anyone else could have done.

I needed the reminder of why I started working in medicine, to do some good for those in a crisis (at least to them) portion of their lives.

Timmy your post has just said exactly why minors should not be doing ride alongs or working with real patients.

I was being serious! I would love to undertake the appropriate training and get experience in situations like Iraqi.

Why is it everyone take me as a joke??

I was being serious! I would love to undertake the appropriate training and get experience in situations like Iraqi.

I was 19 when I did my first ride alongs for EMT class, and in retrospect I was too young and immature to be doing it then. People aren't calling you immature because they think you are joking about wanting to serve in Iraq, they are calling you immature because you think that working in Iraq would be an "awesome experience." Now explain to me again how you have the rationality and maturity to be a benefit to crews an patients on an EMS call.

Well I didn’t mean to be disrespectful to the people serving in Iraqi, there doing a great job. What I meant by "awesome experience" is it would be a once in a life time experience to be part of something that large, to treat patients with injury’s you would never see in civilian life. I know most people serving over there have an extremely tough time and see some things that perhaps no one should see in there life time. That’s why I would love to do something like that. Fair enough, I’m not old enough to be in a war zone and I realize that.

I can’t imagine what it would be like to work over there, that’s why I’d want to do something like that. I’m an extremely ambitious and adventures person. Maybe when I become old enough and have the appropriate training, I might go over there. You never know.

my opinion....at 18 you are of legal age and that is the only time you should ever be allowed on the ambulance. No 15 or 16 year old not even adults could ever imagine or even guess what it is they might be about to see. I have seen some nasty looking dead, disgusting patients ( and body parts) in my short EMS career and to be quite honest (lucky for me) never had any student or ride alongs with me nor would I ever want to or recommand taking an under aged/uneducated, clueless ride along. If you have an EMS student along for school and education purposes then there is a difference, because at that point they have a better understanding as to what it is we do and what it is they might see. That person is there for a given purpose, even if they get a "bad" call and decide that EMS is not for them then so be it.

I'm not even going to go into the liability issues that would go along with having someone under age on the trucks. I cant even imagine being treated by a kid..... :)