Training your personel to think professional

Facing a challenge...this one is going to be the hardest I think I've ever had to encounter thus far.

We've had this lady for a couple years now driving for us and not to talk bad about her, because she is not on this site to defend herself but I think I need help on this one.

We've had a challenge with her already about how she responds on the radio, it took almost 2 years, many threats of suspensions and time outs, to get her to stop waisting air time with useless chatter and thank ya mam's and responding with " Miss so and so...this is Miss so and so" and ugh! its been annoying. Not to mention her cleanliness and hygiene was a problem and it has gotten a little better...but still ewwww.

She's had a struggle trying to pass the NREMT...she is going in for her 1st attempt after a 24 hour refresher, because she couldn't pass the test the first time, and a few of us are concerned about her passing...she just might do it. And not that I or any of us are discouraging her....in fact we have been doing all we can to help her...and I know that any other Agency would have canned her a long time ago. But I guess we are so desperate for help its pathetic.

My concern is retraining her to be more professional around the patients...she has this language that just is not appropriate when doing pt care. Like calling people dudes and babes, either sex and I'm afraid the patients will be offended by her. Especially our older ones, And has this laugh that makes her sound like a dope and I can't describe it in words lol. She's loud and obnoxious, telling people what she thinks is wrong with them. I think she is going to be a huge liability...we all know it...but we still keep helping her, and its a major struggle, its frustrating and she gets mad when she's told to do things differently. Of course this isn't the half of it but I'm trying to keep it brief. I just wish we had more help so they wouldn't hire people like this. Any suggestions?

Janmarie3, you may want to think about working for another employer if you think your current employer is so pathetic that they must hire and retain people who are unprofessional. It also sounds like there are other things going on as well?

Take care,

chbare.

NO matter where you work there will always be one or more people who just dosnt get it. I myself work for 2 different depts and well we have the same problem in both places. One person should of had her cert taken away years ago. But for some reason there's a no touch policy on them and no matter what the write up it gets tossed and its over and done with just like that.

On the other dept we have a few. One has been riding for 2 years as a third and hasn't masted the radio or even tried to. We have had to restrict him from using it. He also doesn't put any effort into his training or education and well I'm the training officer and i gave up on him. Not my problem I have more students willing to learn. Then there's the other. Another person who get written up for braking protocol and nothing happens to them. Why cause they don't care obviously. We have gotten to the point that most wont work with them or go on volley calls with them for the fear of losing out certs and the state coming after us for what they did.

Remember to cover your own ass not the idiots.

Note: We do not let calls go unanswered. If we have to work with those people and don't agree with the report or care then we don't sign. The PT comes first.

You can only go so far to remediate or change a person. They have to "want to change". Like the light bulb and the psychiatrist.

Peer counseling in a positive way may do something, but if this is ingrained behavior, why waste your time. The test should not be used as a weeding out tool. We all know they may pass and get that card.

If the employer won't do anything, you either cope or move on. Taking it into your hands or those of others can open the door to harrassment and that's counter-productive for all. You lose, and the object of change wins.

Good Luck :?

Janmarie3, you may want to think about working for another employer if you think your current employer is so pathetic that they must hire and retain people who are unprofessional. It also sounds like there are other things going on as well?

Take care,

chbare.

Why say any more than this???

Edit: If nothing else, stop threatening suspensions. This turns into the boy who cried wolf. If you're going to threaten it, make good on the threat.

Otherwise, find a new job. Others below this post have made some excellent points. But I'm still on board with CHBARE on this one.

-be safe.

You can't really teach "professionalism" in cases like this. Acting professional is not something that a provider should need to think about. It should simply be habitual to not use specific words, dress in a proper manner, or not act in specific ways when in public (use what language you will in private at the station or in the ambulance when no one else is on board, but you should censor yourself around the public or other agencies that do not know you). How a person was raised goes a long way towards forming these habits and coworkers will have a problem achieving anything.

Sit this individual down, and lay it out for them. No one likes confrontation, but if you don't do it then you are propagating the problem.

Whether it is a supervisor, or just a group of peers, reality needs to be snapped into view. Until then, all the coaching will be for naught.

Tough situation, but how you handle this determines what kind of professional you are.

Good luck.

Good points you guys :) and I'm currently looking into working for another employer. It will require moving to McCall, Idaho...I'll have to make sure that is what I really want to do. But it wouldn't be till the end of the year. But it's not me that is threatening suspensions...If it was my decision I would have canned her from the time she filled out an application. This has been going on for a couple years now and I have never seen her suspended. Supervisor and the managers all complain about her...have talked to her. But I have not seen anything change. My supervisor tried to hit it home to her during the 24 hour course. But LOL she still says "Central, show ME in route...."show ME onscene"......instead of what she is suppose to be saying. And the damn cell phone...I'm in the back being knocked around and I happen to look up at her....she's driving 10 miles over the speed limit while dialing her cell phone. Argh!!! Ordering food of all things so she can pick it up on the way back!!!

What I see that is going on....all of us want her gone...supervisor included...but manager needs her because she fills in the first part of the week...if she's gone...supervisor and manager would have to help pick up the slack....they don't want to have to run anymore. But I did tell them all....if I catch her with that cell phone in her hand while driving one more time....I'll refuse to run with her....I have kids to support and I feel my life is in danger when I put it in the hands of an idiot like that.

But you are right...you can't change someone....I guess you just have to make your own decisions whether to stay and put up with it or move on.

I agree with the "gang" ; but unfortunately, this behavior and attitude is prominent with so many. I would address this with the employer. Be sure to have a log of incidences, occurrences, etc.. yes, she might have been warned, but if you have dates and direct information it might help in the discharge. If possible record some of her dialogue on the radio as well.

I would ask my employer first what he wants & expects out of their employee, what their view on professionalism is. If they reply, like they should, I would then play the tape and present the list of events...

I wish you luck,

R/r 911

I agree with all of you. A list of occurances is solid concrete. Taping her radio dialogue? I'd have that taped by the dispatcher. That way she won't know that she is being recorded. The whole group needs to confront her, not just one person with the supervisor.

If they can get rid of her, I'll be glad to fill in for the first part of the week! LOL

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.