Taking Resp. during transports.

Thanks Ace, well noted.....the only transports I have been on have been a hip fracture, and to transport for a MRI. So there have been no emergancy transports, that is done by air. I just want to be accurate on my assesments. And as I dig myself a bigger hole for you to through me into, LOL. Thanks for your reply's, Rocket has already answered my questioned. We average about two calls a month, not a lot of time to practice ones skills.

Cara.

Now before the thread 2.gif police get crankyand try anything reflexive....

Thanks Ace, well noted.....the only transports I have been on have been a hip fracture, and to transport for a MRI. So there have been no emergancy transports, that is done by air. I just want to be accurate on my assesments. And as I dig myself a bigger hole for you to through me into, LOL. Thanks for your reply's, Rocket has already answered my questioned. We average about two calls a month, not a lot of time to practice ones skills.

Cara.

We are all here to help and are willing to help you learn. That being said, you will find that most posters here also expect you to take an active role in your own education, and such. That is why I posted what I did.... I hope that you will utilize the wonderful resource that is this site to its full potential, and if you have questions, ask away.. But only after having doen a full and comprehensive search of course!!! :wink: :shock: :D 8) These things take time, and many of us were woefully unprepared for the realities of this profession as well. So good luck...MattMan_foshizzle.gif and happy posting

Out here,

ACE844

Dont discount the opportunity you have on those long non-emergent transports. Those elderly patients can teach you alot, if you want to learn. I would recommend putting a Physican's Desk Reference (for prescription drugs) or other similar reference material on your truck. While you are riding, study that patient's chart, when you see a medical condition, prescription drug, or term that you do not know about, make a note and make sure you learn everything you can about that topic over the next week. Also note the overall appearance of the patient, in relation to whatever ailment they have been diagnosed with. Are there subtle differences ? Are their vital signs unusual ? Can you attribute that to a condition or medication ? If you are only a handful of calls into your career, i imagine you have a thousand questions -- email me anytime.

I used to take resp rate on every pt. Then I realized that everyone is breathing at a rate of 16 bpm. So unless they are tach/bradypneic, they get an automatic 16 on the ACR. I have found that with a little experience it is actually quite easy and fairly accurate to just estimate.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.