Dont Let this be your Agency

You've gotta be f--king kidding me!

The medic doesn't see anything wrong with stopping and dropping them off, WITH A PATIENT ONBOARD?

No surprise that the Union Boss thinks it's OK.

F--king morons.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see the story. It asks me for a password. Although, that happens anytime I try to view a vid here, so I think it's a government network block, not the news site. They don't like us hogging bandwidth with video feeds or chat rooms. :roll:

That said, if the situation is what I understand it to be, the very same thing happened with the Dallas Fire Department a couple of decades ago. A crew picked up a "stable" cardiac patient right at shift change time. One of the medics decided he had more important things to do than make a late run, so they dropped by the station and changed crews while loaded. Patient crashed. Family sued. Firemen were fired. Union appealed and got jobs back. Appeal was overturned and firemen were re-fired.

Those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it.

"The best decision for the most people?"

I don't care if it was a BS "BLS taxi" run.... they called 911 and deserve the same care as any other citizen... And the only call that matters is the one you are on now... not the one you may get in 20 minutes, 2 hours, or the next day.

"Not against protocol?"

Gee.... I didn't think this needed to be covered in protocol... this is SO out of line.

Didn't a paramedic get fired in Philadelphia a few years back for dropping off groceries at the fire station, while headed to a call?

if they were dropping dairy queen off at the station that would be one thing because melted dairy Queen is a Tragedy. j/k

The union guy makes me glad t be a member of the IAFF. another reason for me to hate the IAFF

If more people took there jobs seriously this kind of thing wouldn't happen.The term ""ambulance driver"" isn't the worst thing to call people that: fall asleep in the rig,treat the pt. like dirt,get out of calls because they are(bs),horseplay & not act professional. It takes skills to be a true""ambulance driver"", which we see very little of these days.A reputation isn't something the whole ems field gets.It's a name you make for yourself,you & only you can put that label on by the actions ""you"" alone make.......

OK, we know it is stupid... So will the state EMS board have some balls and pull St. Paul fire EMS License? That would be the CORRECT thing to do--- They don't seem to want to perform this service to the community (as evidenced by the attitude of the chief of the department and the captain...oh and the UNION rep....hahahahah)

Guess that is why I am not on any political boards....if this kind of situation came up the proverbial book would be thrown at the offending agency. Not a 1 day suspension, not a 'we made the best decision'--cut 'em off clean and hand them back to 'em in a velvety box.

For the amount of tax money they are paying for this 'service' I am sure a private service could do a better job.....

This instance is a shining example of why not every fire department should be in the business of providing 911 ambulance service. Don't get me wrong, there are some FDs that run a great system and do a splendid job of providing EMS services. However, there are many FDs that have no business providing ambulance service what so ever.

I am not familiar with St. Paul EMS at all so can someone educate me on this part.

When the guy from the IAFF said that the call should have been to a BLS Ambulance does he mean that it should have been some other department or should a BLS truck from St. Paul been dispatched? I'm confused.

Question two, why did they respond an Ambulance with 5 people on it? Is that standard in St. Paul?

Was the Captain the Paramedic in charge of the patient? If not why was it his call to take people back to station?

Thanks to anyone who can answer this for me.

However, there are many FDs that have no business providing ambulance service what so ever.

There are many FD's who have no business providing fire suppression services either. :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.