Dont Let this be your Agency

My Manager sent this Video link out to all 300 paramedics at my service with the statement that this may not be the kind of press that we really want.

http://kstp.dayport.com/viewer/viewerpage.php?Art_ID=168068/

The funny thing about this is, this really dosent suprise me in regards to the St. Paul Fire Department. Not to wish bad things upon them , btu i hope this helps produce alot fo change. Maybe Mental health patients will no longer typically be transported Emergently as they have been known to do in the past. Of maybe they will find out that it is not neccesary to return to the station Code 3. Really makes us look like a bunch of Ambulance Drivers more than we already are.

As much as the News media fails to understand what we do often times, It was well done and very feasible and may be of some worth to pass it around.

DOJ NREMT-P FFII ERT

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought returning to the station code 3 was illegal now.

We had a situation where we dropped a rider off while enroute to the hospital and that was something that has caused some serious repercussions within our department (it was on the way and caused less than 20 seconds delay, but is still unacceptable). Why is it so hard for people to understand that once we are on a run, you stay on that run until you mark in service? That patient is the responsibility of everyone on the crew, regardless of the crews personal needs. Of course, I am hopefully preaching to the choir here.

I am not sure if they still return to the station code 3 anymore, but my old patner who worked for a CCT Service In St. Paul for 18 years could tell me horror strories about them. Come to think of it, i just remembered that they actually contract out their Mental health Calls to HealthEast EMS along with alot of their scheuled NH Trips, even Code 2/Priority 2 (Emergent, without L/S) NH are contracted out.

I cannot agree with the EMS board more. There is NO excuse for what they did. I have dropped off students due to class requirements on the way to NON EMERGENCY transports, but never with an emergency. I tell them if they cannot be late, don't go on the call with me and I'll sign off an excuse on their time sheet. Never had a problem with that. Only thing I could think of would be if you were having trouble with the buggy, even then, call a second buggy to the location, not return to the station. I know we hate to be taxi drivers to old people, but unfortunately, medicaid/medicare IS what supports our meager salaries and keeps ambulance services going. We do not exist by emergency runs alone. Give good patient care and that's all needs to be.

Rid wrote:

This should had been posted in the "help wanted" section. There apparently will be 2 openings at the Sr. Paul's Fire EMS, as there should be.

I agree.

In the second video the chief stated they were suspended for one day. There really dropping the hammer. The union also stated they were filing a grievance, so the medic will probably get that day of pay back. Go figure...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.