Short Transport times

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when I work in the city, most transport times are about 5-10 depending on where we are. I work quick, on scene and finish in the truck with quick report, I some times like it when I work out in the county have more time with my pt's. Some times you are so close it is hard to complete pt with all the meds(ex:3Ntg, 5 min apart).....I just document why short eta

you just do the best you can in the brief time. honest to God, i have gotten flagged in the ER parking lot of the hospital where I was sitting in between calls. so the transport time was like:

" I'm en route to XX hospital."

One second later" I'm at XX hospital" LOL

I just try to do the best I can...

Most of our emergencies are usually less that 4-5 minute transports to get to a hospital... Its hard to try to treat and stabilize in that short time... I usually have to start report to the ER as soon as we get into the truck!!

While doing ride time in EMTB training, we had to respond to a MVA vs. pedestrian. The medic and I only got through our rapid truama assesment, and placed the NRB on him before we got to the ER. The EMT and I got the pt. in the ER while the medic was in the ER lobby finishing his report. We gave it to the nurse before we left. This happened only two blocks from the ER. Definitely a short transport!

-Dix

My service deals with both short and long transport times. If we get called in the city our times are 3-5minutes. In the County it's 10-20minutes. I personally wish I had longer in back than 3-5minutes. It's frustrating not being able to get everything done because you're at the back door of the ER. I just hurry the best I can and get the most important things done first.

Dan

What about the calls at the Nursing Home, less than 100 feet from the ER? I don't think you can have a shorter time from departing scene to ER arrival times, and several ERs have some extended care facilities that close or closer.

most of our transport times are less than 10 minutes....it gets annoying sometimes, bc we can't finish treatment, but on the other hand, it's nice, bc if the pt is going downhill really really fast we don't have to worry about them crashing on us as long. i remember one call for a child struck (lower budget) - total call time from time of dispatch to time of arrival at hospital was 11 or 12 minutes....that was fun. my other company our times are a little longer....more like 15-20 at the shortest....

The short transports are nice, but don't use them for an excuse of why you didn't treat your pt.

I ask all my students -- " did you get your patch just to be a glorified taxi cab driver or to better treat your patients " doesn't matter how far or close you are TREAT your patient -that is what we are there for

I had a patient that fell and fractured her ankle at the end of the hospital driveway and I still managed to start a line ,give MSO4 and 2 sets of vitals.

how aggressive do you want to be in your treatment or what would you like done for yourself ??

Paul

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.