quint

Who is responsible?  

12 members have voted

1. 1.

• Front Line Supervisors
    • Employees
    • Upper Management
    • All the above

So we are right in the middle of a shortage on bottom of the totem pole guys and it got me to wondering, who is responsible on day to day operations? I am talking about morning truck checks, road testing of apparatus, and overall safety items usually left for the lower guys to check out everyday. Who picks up the slack? Employees? Supervisors? Both? Upper Management?

No right or wrong posts just looking for others interpretations.

quint

It's management's fault for the employee shortage.

It's management and the employee's fault if the crew going off didn't restock or if the company has people to restock and they didn't restock.

It's your responsibility to make sure that you have everything you need on your ambulance.

Just to be clear. You are not asking about not having enough personnel, right?

For the routine vehicle checks and following of SOP, if the employees don't do it, then it falls to the duty supervisor. When things don't get done, the supervisor needs to have a mechanism in place to ensure it doesn't continue.

Just to be clear. You are not asking about not having enough personnel, right?

Shortage of personnel is exactly what I am getting at. I guess I should have been clear, I am not saying shortages as in employees unwilling to do work or anything of the sort. I am getting at the fact of doubling the workload due to management not filling vacancies.

The lack of available personnel is entirely due to upper management.

The duty supervisors learn how to do their jobs from the administrators, so what rolls down hill, etc. The people running the calls may make interpersonal cohesiveness difficult, but if you know that management has an idea of what you need to perform, then you can get by.

One thing that has been evident during the shortage of personnel, is that the tour of duty stays the same while employees are now performing tasks that took 3 guys to get done with having only 1-2 employees to do them now.

Should the captain have to get into the "trenches" and help with the low complexity tasks? Who then fills the captains role of admin?

I guess I am looking for ideas without the sacrifice of having to prioritze what's important and what just doesn't get done. IMHO this attitude leads to missed critical items.