Which one do you use... Difib Paddles or the Pads

tunnelrat83

Which one.. Paddles or Pads  

111 members have voted

1. 1.

• Paddles
    • Pads

We use the Zoll M Series on our mainline trucks; our units are paddle equipped but also pad capable. I prefer to use the paddles initially for quick look and first 3 shocks (if needed), then I try to get my pads on as I put the patient on a backboard. I find that the pads just make for a simpler transport.

You gotta admit there is a certain coolness factor involved with paddles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The service that I am with uses a Powerheart g# Pro with Pads. I actually preffer them as there are less things for some idiot to try and steal.

Hmmm... seems to me that people would be a lot more likely to steal a little mylar packet of pads than a hardwired set of paddles. :?

Anybody in the warmer climes having trouble with drying pads, like the EKG patches sometimes do?

And are y'all keeping the pads sealed until you are ready to use them, or keeping them pre-connected to the machine?

Pads! Even with the pads I'm standing on the bench seat in the truck during transport if I need to defib. During my paramedic class years ago I saw a Resident at an ER shock herself using paddles while working a code . We carry Zoll CCT's ,Pads are kept in the package until needed and we do have a set of paddles kept in a seperate equipment cabinet in the truck, just in case. I've never had any problems with the pads and all of the first responder departments use the same pads for their AED so we can just "plug and play"

I prefer to use pads, however both services I work for have pads still with their monitors. Some of the paramedics won't give up their paddles. I will admit that the paddles are great (and cheap) for a quick look.

The medics in my area use the LP12 with pads. Interestingly enough, the pads that we use on our AED's are not compatible with their monitor. Everytime we work a code we have to rip our pads off when the medics get there.....

You'd think somebody in that organization would have the common sense to just buy some adapters! A lot cheaper than using two sets of pads on every patient! :?

What AED are they using?

Heh, after a code where I had ripped a pair of AED pads and put ours on, I sat in the office trying to figure out for a good long time why we had two sets of cables in the Lifepak. After a about 5-10 minutes, I realized why one set of cables had an end which looked very much like the area where the pads go on the AED. D'OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'd think somebody in that organization would have the common sense to just buy some adapters! A lot cheaper than using two sets of pads on every patient! :?

What AED are they using?

They use the Phillips HeartStart AED's. As far as I know, they do not make adapters between that model AED and the LP12's.

Additionally the medics are hospital based and respond to the various towns in chase vehicles. There is no continuity among the towns regarding the type of AED's used; therefore, it would be a little impractical for ALS to try a buy adapters for all the various towns.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.