Which one do you use... Difib Paddles or the Pads

tunnelrat83

Which one.. Paddles or Pads  

111 members have voted

1. 1.

• Paddles
    • Pads

Paddles are for WHACKERS! When posing this question to my ACLS students, they usually offer many lame arguments as to why they think paddles are superior (better current, better control, safer?, etc.). When all these arguments are dismissed by the facts, students are left to realize that the only reason they like paddles is a "control issue", or more correctly put, an "ego issue". We use the Zoll M-series with pads, exclusively. There is not a finer machine built. Apply the pads anterior/posterior with a rolling motion and you can defib or pace with the push of a button. Incidentally, research has shown anterior/posterior placement to be somewhere around 10% more effective for defib than anterior/lateral. To improve efficiency, we have encouraged most of the first response agencies in our area to switch to the Zoll AED+. We train them in anterior/posterior placement and the AED+ pads will plug directly into the M-series. To encourage this, we provide replacement pads to agencies that do this for us (about $30 per set). All we have to do when we arrive on scene is to plug in and go. Should also note that our M-series default start in AED mode - we're not proud. The initial AED start-up allows us a couple minutes to get everything else going without having to play with the machine, and we switch to manual after the first 3 shocks or when no shock is indicated (whichever comes first).

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The service that I am with uses a Powerheart g# Pro with Pads. I actually preffer them as there are less things for some idiot to try and steal.

Haven't had to use paddles for at least 2 years.

with the move to Biphasic energy, id expext paddles to be completely gone as you can the best pathways with the anterior posterior placement. the other issue i have with the paddles is that pacing is quite a task without pads and haveing quikcombo pathces makes your code go alot quicker. additionally,. i heard that AHA is going to really push the pads with the new acls this nov

i only have seen paddles prehsopitally once in MN and that particular service go rid of their LP10's a year ago in favor of those zoll things

I like to use the paddles intially to get my quick look and 3 stacked shocks, while my crew sets up the pads and intubation equip. then stick on the combo pads anterior/post in case pacing is going to be done, plus always good to carry paddles hence they dont expire like combo pads, or slackers not checking to make sure their stocked, has happened to me before.

My ambulance corp just got the life pack 12 and i was told we can decide on our own wheter to use the paddles or pads..Many people prefer to use the pads but if u are dealing with someone who is very hairy or has oily skin the pads become a problem.. :D

I have been in EMS for 20 yrs, started out w/ paddles and since we went to LP12 in the past few years we went to pads for safety reason. I can tell you there is nothing like getting a tingle in your hands if you defib in a roadside ditch w/ paddles. Pads are much safer and if you practice you can be just as fast w/ pads as w/ paddles

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.