''SKIPPING LEVELS''

I just dont understand it......new to city and have been reading forums from some ppl who are in advanced levels and still dont have a good handle on the basic skills.Is it just me or am i being a moron about morals and confidence...........It is my opinion that the states health departments should regulate the EXPIRIENCE asspect of upgrading levels... I firmly believe that a person should stay at a level for at least 6mon to a year before even being able to start class for their next level. In Texas a person can complete there basic class and start an I-P course and go straight to Paramedic.This is just a STUPID train of thouht by TDH..I work around a few ppl that are in an I-P course now and they scare me to death on the truck.....even a few that didnt skip a level..some of them scare me..As most of us know BOOKSMART and STREETSMART are TWO DIFFERENT things... any comments from the peeps am i just being an a@#h*&e or a legitimate point

if i ruffled any feathers.......................so be it...............peace out and keep it save

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You obviously have not bothered to do a search on the subject before posting...

In order to become 'advanced' in certification, you must complete certain objectives and requirements. Experience is helpful (and desirable), but not required to complete most of the steps.

Here we go again on what education should be required--but of course most posting here do not have any...

Gee..do I sound cynical? :)

This horse has been flogged to death in other threads.

I find it difficult to imagine a MD having to be a RN for 6mths to a year or a RN having to be an LPN before they can continue their education. Basics can do little in the form of Emergency medicine. So having to stay at that level for an extended period of time is of little value. Yes, they can observe procedures being done, but is that helpful? If someone wants to progress in EMS to the level of medic I say go for it!. The prerequisites SHOULD allow for a higher educated student. The more medics we can have, the better off we as a society will be.

I just dont understand it......new to city and have been reading forums...

Obviously, you haven't really been reading otherwise you would have come across this poor, beaten horse in more than one place. Plus, you would've been here:

http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/siterules.php

Please take note of the area that mentions just how good a friend Google can be to you.

...from some ppl...

ppl? What is ppl? Do you mean "people"? Yes, this is the internet. But we have enough stupid people running around in the profession as it is. Please take the time to properly spell out what it is you'd like to say. Aren't sure how to spell? Please see the above reference to Google and just how good a friend it can be. Further, there's even a spell check feature that will review what you've written and offer suggestions for correction. Bonus!

...who are in advanced levels and still dont have a good handle on the basic skills.Is it just me or am i being a moron about morals and confidence...........

Is this a question? Punctuation helps. By the way, what do morals and confidence have in common with having a handle on good basic skills?

... any comments from the peeps

Search the forums. You'll be amazed at what you find.

if i ruffled any feathers.......................so be it...............peace out and keep it save

No feathers ruffled here. But, what do you mean by "keep it save"? Save what from whom?

Altogether, -20.

-be safe.

3 posts and youve already made some people here mad by not following the simple rules of this forum - search by using the search function and looking at google - Methinks this might be a record!!!!

well it appears that i did ruffel some feathers.....just because i am not computer illiterate and not the best at researching topics on the site...........i did state i was new to the site.....so much for a welcome and a ''hey monster next time go here and research a little'' no now i feel like the flogged horse......o well it happens thanks for the beating

well it appears that i did ruffel some feathers.....

Who's feathers are ruffled? Not mine.

just because i am not computer illiterate

So, if you're not computer illiterate it shouldn't be a problem. Or did you mean you were weren't computer literate?

so much for a welcome and a ''hey monster next time go here and research a little''

You are absolutely right. Forgive my poor manners. :oops:

Despite above postings it's nice to see newcomers here. Welcome!

However, you set yourself up for it, dude. It's all pretty clearly labeled. And when you create your account you have to indicate that you've read the terms and conditions of the site. It's all there.

But I think this is a case of lesson learned for both. You learned that researching is good and will save you some very direct posts in reply. I learned that I need to pay more attention when people say they're new here.

Hope to see more of you around here!

-be safe.

From a state perspective, and we've cussed and discussed this. There is no data, that i know of, that supports the belief that experience as an EMT makes a good paramedic. You get the basic, then the medic class levels the playing field. It sure does help to have a working knowledge, but the multi-tiered medic class, didactic, clinicals and field internship is what makes a medic. It's not a perfect system.

Okay, bring me another dead horse to flog!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.