Working Holidays

First, let me say that I am thankful for all of you who work holidays to make sure that no matter when it is, you are there to respond if we need you! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

That being said...I get tired of my hubby working ALL the holidays! blah! Christmas Eve/Christmas Day...Easter...Mother's Day... Memorial Day...and now July 4th. It gets old feeling like a single parent these days. And it's not that he's volunteering for these shifts, they're just falling during his rotation. Still.. it bites!

I'd like to be able to watch the fireworks tonight....with him and the kids. But it will just be me and the boys. Just makes me a bit sad at times.[/font:5053a20dcd]

hang in there it won't always be that way. my children and family have learned to celebrate holidays on other days, we try to keep it within a week of the actual holiday itself. it works for us, even if people think were strange for getting dressed up on Halloween in early November....LMAO!

madmedic

Shoot I have worked holidays since i started working ..........umm many moons ago.....my kids are used to me not being home cause they know i love them and i am out taking care of someone that needs it......It is just something that healthcare workers family's just have to get used to.......

Sounds like he's still new in the job. Keep in mind that as the new guy, with bottom of the bucket seniority, he'll probably get hit with holidays for a while. As he works his way up in the department and builds some seniority he'll be better able to work some time at the holidays so he can spend it with you and the kids.

Another thing you may see, I know this happens in places I've worked, that for some of the big holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas etc...) the single folks are a little more willing to switch shifts or adjust their times (e.g. come in early or stay a little late) so that the folks with families can stay with their kids/spouses for a couple extra hours. At least, I've done it for guys who have families. I know some others who've done it, too. That may be an option at his department as well.

Like madmedic said, too, sometimes you just reschedule the holiday for the day before or the day after.

There are certainly some unique challenges that face not only those of us who work in this job but also our families. It's not always easy for all involved. The job can be very rewarding. But so can a family. If you can strike a balance that's a good thing. But there has to be some give and take on both sides.

Good luck. Enjoy the fireworks. Can you meet him at the station and watch them from there?

-be safe.

Can you meet him at the station and watch them from there?

-be safe.

Unfortunately, the way our ambulances work around here, they're at different 'posts' - not at a station. And there's really no telling where he'll be at the time. It's a nice thought though.

I know, it's just another sacrifice that must be made. Some days are just more difficult than others.

It is sad, I no longer see them as holidays.........its double time now!!!!

I am with ya there sister :!: :!: :twisted: :twisted:

I am concerned that you still have issues with his job and its responsibilities. First, it was working too many hours, working nights now holidays. Yes, its a pain in the rear.. Now, I am not trying to blast you by any means.. it does sucks and I do realize how hard it can be. I worked every Christmas, 4'th of July, for the first 4 years after my daughter was born.. no choice other than quit my job.

We had to learn to celebrate life and holidays on other days.. you soon will find out that everyday can be a holiday and a celebration. No, it does not replace the true holidays, however you will learn to truly "cherish" those that you do get to spend with each other and try to realize that he as well probably hates working this day.

Yes, its a shame someone has to cover for special days, holidays that illness and injuries still occur and never take a day off, but thank goodness there are men & women that do care enough to perform this job on days like this. There are caring and understanding spouses and children of those that have to learn to deal with it as well.

I wish you the best of luck, hopefully you can meet somewhere for at least a brief period of time or call him and tell each other you miss him... it does make the holidays go a little better.

I do wish you the best of luck, do hang in there it will get better......

R/r 911

I guess I have misunderstood the forum basis here. I was under the impression it was for spouses of EMS; where we could possibly post some..and vent a little. It appears that I have come across as venting too much.

I do appreciate what he does...the same as what all of you do. It's just new and takes a bit to get used to. I apologize if I offended anyone. This will be my last post as I don't want to come across as the nagging or complaining wife.

Good luck and God Bless you all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.