Fire Scene

So you know how you always get a good chuckle when you see a picture in the paper of paramedics or fire fighters giving a dog oxygen after it was pulled from a fire.... You know who did that tonight? You guessed it!

Pooch made out okay!

Hopefully no pictures in the paper to laugh at though :)

Later.

I had the joys of helping a dog once. I was driving towards my base with the responce car when I noticed a young boy (about 6 -7 years old) sitting on the curb with his dog crying. I stopped and he explained to me that his dog was run over by a car and was now dying.

I checked the dog out, I have no idea what normal heart rate is for a dog. It seemed to have broken both back legs and sustained some damage to the "pelvis"? I managed to calm the boy down, inserted an IV (Saline) on the left front leg, leaving it TKVO and took the boy with the dog to a Vet.

I got disciplinary action taken against me by the company for using the company property for non emergencies. Had to pay for the IV etc and got a final written warning on my file. To top it all off, I had to pay the vets bill later that month.

Good one JW, you made some family very very happy.

Regards

S

An overly-helpful organization "donated" animal oxygen masks of assorted sizes to the semi-volley service I work on. We now actually have to keep them on the truck, and are expected to use them if there are pets in need of oxygen on a scene (presuming all humans have been cared for already, of course).

I'm just waiting for people to start calling us for their pets...

8) Good job. My family has two dogs who are great pets. We would be crushed if anything happened to them. I hope someone would do the same for us godforbid we got into a situation like that, I know I would try my best to.

Great you can help on the pet!

There are too many people who would put their pet first before even their own life---

Too many have a very warped view of who is top of the chain...as a dog owner, we would never risk our lives or put the life of our PET before a human being.

There are some that will though.....

Canine CPR

In addition to this information, check the canine First Aid page at From Sharon Braun, (FigNewtn@ix.netcom.com)

Here are CPR instructions, as supplied by Dr. Wendy Wallace.

CPR - Caridopulmonary resuscitaion - is an attempt to supply blood flow and oxygen to the tissues of the body when normal respiration and/or heart function have failed. Time is critical as irreversible tissue damage occurs within 2-4 minutes of respiratory or circulatory arrest. Signs of cardiac arrest include unconsciousness, cesssation of breathing, pale to grey-white gums, dilated pupils.

Check for heart activity

listen to the chest

feel for pulses - femoral artery

Call for help if available!

Airway

open mouth, pull out tongue, look and feel for obstructions

Clear mucus. Careful - DO NOT GET BITTEN!

extend head and neck.

Breathing

with head and neck extended, hold dog's nose with his mouth closed.

inhale, place your mouth over dog's nose and mouth and exhale, watching for chest expansion as you blow.

remove your mouth to allow lungs to deflate.

rate is 12 - 20 breaths per minute.

Circulation - CPR

for deep-chested dogs, place dog right side down with his spine against your body.

position your hands one on top of the other with fingers entwined and the heel of the palm at approximately the level of the 4th - 6th rib, 1/3 of the way up the chest from the sternum.

apply compression in a firm, steady downward motion, release.

rate: approx 100 - 120 cimpressions/minute

single resuscitator: 2 breaths / 15 compressions

double resuscitators: 1 breath / 3-5 compressions

check efficiency by feeling for pulses

DO NO STOP FOR LONGER THAN 30 SECONDS

prognosis is poor if fixed and dilated pupils do not constrict down after initiation of CPR.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.