Stryker Power-PRO cots

Little hint... when a proby is seen lifting a cot with is back instead of is leg....we kick is ass out... period !!! Lots of medics like to compare there paycheck with firefither's or LEO's, do like they do, get fit !!!!!!!!

Take 50,000$ and build a gym at your station..... at my station, that money would cover only 5 trucks out of 35 with those stretcher.

The bottomline here, you dont get your back hurt with stretcher lifting, you get hurt when you free a 200 pounder from a rollovered car or somebody that is pined between is toilet and a wall, place's that your not able to work properly. These are situation's where you get hurt...sometime with micro trauma to your back. Hours later, or the next day, you may feel a little discomfort in the back...... next effort......bang there's the big stuff.

Again just get a little fit, every single medics that I know of, that are working out ..... they dont EVER GET BACK PAIN !!!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your not an English speaker, then please accept my responsibility. For better or worse (more worse for the native speakers), though, your ability at English composition seems to rival a lot of the native English posters.

• 6 years later...

First let me say, those who say work out more, you do not know what you speak of. TECHNOLOGY IS GOOD. You should be glad that my generation did not take that attitude, because if we had, you would still be using the 2 man ferno stretcher. For those who have never seen or used the antique. You had to collapse the stretcher all the way to the ground, and then lift it into the ambulance (partners on each side). Imagine the joy of having a 6 foot 4 person, partnered with a 5 foot 2 person trying to lift a stretcher by the sides. Imagine lifting a 300 lb patient from the ground. Imagine having to lift the stretcher from the ground or low level at least 2-6 times on every call (put the pt on the stretcher, move the stretcher from home and down steps ---no stairchairs back then either --- lower at back of ambulance, lift into the ambulance, lift out of the ambulance to ground at ER, lift up to rolling position, raise or drop to meet the level of the ER bed (ER beds were not always hydralic back then either, most were a fixed height).

The power pro is great, especially for a non-emergent transport service. It is heavier, but when you get a 300lb + patient, all you have to do is get the head of the stretcher in the truck, and then both partners move to the foot of the bed and do a two man lift into the truck --- same for unloading. We put battery chargers on our trucks, using the inverter, but you could just buy more batteries and let each crew take two batteries with them --- like all rechargable batteries, they lose life over time.

I would caution you to lower the stretcher when rolling the patient (especially on uneven terrain). as the extra weight of the stretcher plus the weight of the patient create a high center of gravity if the bed is raised to its upmost level, which creates a greater chance of tipping the cot over if a wheel gets stuck or the patient moves too much.

As Charleston Heston said, "You can have my power pro when you pry it from my cold dead hands" lol.

Hello!

Administrators, please tell me how to add a video from youtube to a post?

Thanks!

Go to Youtube and under the video there is a tab labelled "Share". Click on that tab to get the link, then copy and paste that link here.

I am a big fan of the Power Pro!

We have had them on all our trucks pretty much from when they first came out (we have over 20 in use, some with over 30hrs on the timer).

My advice regarding the battery life is to remember that the original dewalt battery system is meant for the construction world (quick charge in an hour, then an 8hr recharge). The newer SMRT battery system is great.

These cots are incredibly durable even during a cold Canadian winter.

Like most of the previous comments, we use a FERNO stairchair to extricate pt's when there are stairs or if lifting the cot is required.

• 3 weeks later...

First let me say, those who say work out more, you do not know what you speak of. TECHNOLOGY IS GOOD. You should be glad that my generation did not take that attitude, because if we had, you would still be using the 2 man ferno stretcher. For those who have never seen or used the antique. You had to collapse the stretcher all the way to the ground, and then lift it into the ambulance (partners on each side). Imagine the joy of having a 6 foot 4 person, partnered with a 5 foot 2 person trying to lift a stretcher by the sides. Imagine lifting a 300 lb patient from the ground. Imagine having to lift the stretcher from the ground or low level at least 2-6 times on every call (put the pt on the stretcher, move the stretcher from home and down steps ---no stairchairs back then either --- lower at back of ambulance, lift into the ambulance, lift out of the ambulance to ground at ER, lift up to rolling position, raise or drop to meet the level of the ER bed (ER beds were not always hydralic back then either, most were a fixed height).

Holy crap Mikey, I remember those cots. I can count on one hand the number of times my back got thrown out before we went to the one man cot version. Having one do the heavy lifting for you was the first thing myself and my EMS Supervisor put the ink on purchasing for all 3 trucks after we got the title and approval to purchase items. Dropped our injury rate from lifting patients by 60% all in just purchasing three new cots and a spare.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.