Lifeguard interfering with MY PT CARE!?!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"legally have to act in an emergency".......is this a volunteer lifeguarding job- if it isnt- Im guessing that your "legal responsibility" does not come into play- since this is a paid position- its their responsibililty (much different than pulling over for a car accident is it not?)

"It was a girl in her teens who was suffering form heat exaustion from what I could gather from my 5 second pt. assessment "- sweet- I want to be someone who can asses in 5 seconds ;). As little credit as lifeguards are given, treating for heat exhaustion- and recognizing it isnt rocket science.

Well, it seems from what is being said, this maybe could have been handled better by both parties....another thread thoroughly beaten to death ;)

Ace I don't think Jcicco knows who you are. Otherwise he'd be the ignorant one.

Were you having a good or a bad day when posting those? I suspect you just came off your third 36 hour shift where you transported 4 courtney loves overdosed, 32 jesus Christ's with a time fixation and one person who survived the wheels of a subway train to live to tell about it.

Other than that those were funny

Ace I don't think Jcicco knows who you are. Otherwise he'd be the ignorant one.

Were you having a good or a bad day when posting those? I suspect you just came off your third 36 hour shift where you transported 4 courtney loves overdosed, 32 jesus Christ's with a time fixation and one person who survived the wheels of a subway train to live to tell about it.

Other than that those were funny

"Ruff,"

As usual you hit the nail on the head. I hope all is well with you and thank you for bringing this to my attention. Originally my posts were meant to take a fascetious, sarcastic, funny type light to what could only be described as a less than stellar combination of; 'friends' fighting, people being stupid, negligent medical care all around, and gross 'Reetadadness' mixed with one parties attempted bragging. Attempted bragging to be able to point at an anonymous internet 'forum' and say to the other party 'See I'M SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOU AND I WAS RIGHT!!!'...... In short the situation and post was a Cluster F^&*!!

I guess after just 16 hrs or so before delivering still born breach presentation crack babies, ( Mom went into 'labor' because she decided that smoking 2 $300 bags of rock would be a good way to spend the evening ), and all the while fighting the mom off because her sole intent was to try to harm {read kill]} said babies {guess she didn't want to be pregnant and no one told her the hazards of whoring for crack) this particular brand of stupidity didn't sit so well... I also poorly attempted to make 'light' of the situation. ( in case your wondering only one of the twins 'survived' if you could call it that) So I humbly apologize to any one who is offended by said posts! This is except of course for the individual who is using all of us to make a point and still not understanding that he's did as much wrong here as the other party....

For your further reading entertainment I will post the following, my converstaions with acute psych pts, who obviously watched too much rescue me at the half way house went like this:::

Lou: She OK?

Mike: A little hairy but breathing.

Lou: Nice. Takes me right back to the junior prom.

Tommy: You know how people, like religious people, are always saying stuff like, "have you found Jesus?"

Mickey: Yeah?

Tommy: Guess what. I found him.

Mickey: Oh, yeah. Where has he been for the last 2000 years?

Tommy: Apparently my new apartment

Mary Magdalene: My ride's here. (Jesus drives up in a Lamborghini and lowers his sunglasses)

:lol::lol::lol::lol: :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink: :wink: :P:P:P:P 8) 8) 8)

That individual; is just plumb outta luck becasue I am smack dab in the middle of an APATHY DAY!! You all have made great points here and if these 2 involved parties don't heed your advice they will ultimately suffer... and rightfully so. I guess at this point I will only say this for now. Kindly don't feed anymore into this persons attempt to use you all. If he doesn't get our points in 2 pages, much like some other people who post here, he never will....In closing, in my defence, since 'Dust," isn't able to be here, and 'apply the needed discipline' to some for being stupid in public...I got inspired and decided to bring you all a bit of nostalgia "dust," style (Hope all is well and your safe and having fun in the 'sandbox' my friend :wink: :wink: :P 8) )!!!!

Oh, and BTW, why did we bother posting a short bio if peeps don't read it...??? Still "PRPG," is tha Shizznat!! :shock: 8) :D:lol: :wink: :!: :!:

To All I hope you have a good day, stay safe, and know I'm reporting via pre-recorded statement from planet I just plain could give a F$%^

ACE844

It was a girl in her teens who was suffering form heat exaustion from what I could gather from my 5 second pt. assessment

So I'm curious about one thing. If you were able to determine her to be suffering from heat exhaustion, as an off-duty EMT-B could you have done anything different from what the life guards were doing for the patient? My guess is that you couldn't, and in a case like that you don't have much to offer in the way of patient care other than an extra set of hands. If they didn't need your "hands," since it's their response zone I would assume that they could ask you to leave. There was nothing that you could do that would have changed the outcome of the call, and no negative effect was had from the interaction.

You said that her partner asked you for help, but who was most senior of the on-duty personnel? Or more importantly, who had control of the scene? As a paramedic, if my partner asks someone to help, I have the ability to refuse the help if I don't feel it necessary. It doesn't matter that he/she asked for it, I'm the one running the call.

You were off duty and it doesn't sound much like you had a duty to act in this case. As far as the ID's, anyone can produce a badge, t-shirt or photo ID. They aren't hard to make and there are plenty of Rescue Randy's out there. We hear cases of people impersonating personnel more frequently then we should.

Shane

NREMT-P

I agree with ERDOC, he is higher trained; however he cannot work at that level since he is technically off duty. Actually, since your other friend was a an EMT ? he was officially the highest trained individual. She should had released control to him... moment, she was rude or "spazzing" I would had totally removed myself from the scene. She wants to act unprofessional and poor conduct suffer the consequences then.

(Of course we are hearing only one side of the story)

I would discuss with her afterwards in private, if she apologized, for her behavior then I might re-consider.. although doubtful. If she did not, I would report her for unprofessional conduct and behavior.. have your other friend as a witness of this. If she cannot handle herself or her behavior on something that trivial, she has no business in rescue operations. Time to get a new job @ Wendy's...

R/r 911

WOW....thats a lot of replies...

1) I WAS worried about the Legal Issues, as I was trained in NJ, and was told you legally HAVE to act upon an emergency

2) I KNOW she is a spaz, and does not operate well under pressure.

3) Her partner, knew I was a Firefighter, and asked me to assist the pt, so my assistance was requested.

4) My "Friend" has been to my firehouse, and we have swapped lifeguarding stories, from when I was a Lifeguard/EMT, so there is no question that she knows, and she said to me, "you are not a f*cking Firefighter, go away"

5) I only showed ID/Shirt after she made a big stink on the radio to her supervisor, and when the family looked concerned. I was in a pair of boardshorts at the time. I am NOT a wacker/ricky rescue, or whatever you wanna think.It was a girl in her teens who was suffering form heat exaustion from what I could gather from my 5 second pt. assessment

6) For a kicker, she left before Fire/EMS got on scene.......abandonment anyone??? :roll:

Here's soem more advice for ya.... You should have known better on so many levels it's scary. Re-read the posts here, and then....

For those of you who are in this profession you have a RESPONSIBILITY to EDUCATE yourself further and do all you can to become a better CLINICIAN. This whining about how "Oh, I only had 120 hrs...My class didn't help me learn..." Is a complete cop out, and B$!! Oh, Booie for you, now MAN UP and FIX IT!!!Fact of the matter is, you are in an autonomous field, with ALOT MORE RESPONSIBILITY THAN YOU WERE LED TO BELIEVE IN CLASS!!!

Furthermore, your an adult, or at least pretending to be one. So why should the rest of us hold your hand and give you an excuse to blame your lack of motivation, education, intelligence, understanding, or abilities on others. IT'S YOUR ISSUE, YOUR RESPONSIBILITY, SO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!! Are there ways to do this, yes; and are there people here who are willing to help? Absolutely!!! There are many of us here who try to teach, and help you guys be better providers, and clinicians! If you have no interest in any of the things I mentioned. Go work in an industry where your lack of 'motivation' and complacency won't cause harm to someones family members and friends. WHAT WE DO EFFECTS LIVES IN A REAL WAY!!! THERE ARE MORE THAN A FEW INSTANCES WHERE WE MAKE LIFE, AND DEATH DECISIONS AND EFFECT OUTCOMES IN REAL AND OFTEN PERMENANT WAYS FOR SOMEONE WHO OFTEN WE HAVE JUST MET!!!

Think about it.... None of this I'm a FF I'm better...I'm a moron..watch me post nonsense and flame people.....

{climbs off his soapbox and relequishes the mic for a short time}

OUT HERE,

ACE844