Medics with MedicAlerts???

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't see a difference between Joe Citizen and a medic wearing these alerts. They provide useful information.

I used to have one for my extreme allergic responses, but I hardly ever wore and I had a partner that wore one cause he was diabetic. If you are unconcious or incapacitated for some reason they are or can be very useful.

There are some now that will archive your medical records for you. When a doc calls they can access your full history.

As I see it, anyone with a medical condition SHOULD wear one, regardless of their occupation. It is certainly beneficial to find a medicalert on a patient during assessment that either helps with diagnosis or affects treatment.

Did I miss part of the question? Why would it be a problem? Regardless of occupation, if you have a medical condition, you should wear one. We advocate to our patients all the time that they should wear one, we're not any different. We have all the same medical conditions the general public has.

Shane

NREMT-P

Guest Beegers

I knew someone who hated jewelry so he had his medical alert tattooed on him....

My only question would be latex allergies...One is supposed to have their gloves on before pt contact, and as you search an unconcious pt for a med alert and discover they're allergic to latex you've already contaminated them, right?? Is there any alternative to that?

Sure there is. More and more services are going to non-latex gloves in order to prevent this from happening. Our service requires non-latex gloves, and many of the hospitals do the same.

Shane

NREMT-P

I have one also and it looks pretty lonely sitting in front of me on my desk, what can I say?

I paid alot for it, gee I guess I'll put it on, WOW it looks cool on my left wrist, does it make my wrist look sexy, naw thats society for ya, all that hype for nothing.

Either you wear it to survive, or you die trying...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.