TAC EMS peoples

Mntldr: I sent you a PM two weeks ago...No response. I know very well that the term operator is a purple term..and that other branch SOF units call themselves "operator" a whole bunch.

However you know where that term originated. You seem to be a squared away troop.

Thats all I need to say about that.

Look back in my posts to jetski: I have given the entire contents of a current CLS class. If you find something lacking when you get to the class let me know...I explained to you in my pm why I am so interested in how its all being taught to conventional units.

Good luck with the class. I hope you get the training you need

Stay in touch

Somedic

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MtnSoldr

They do not do any live tissue or moulage, I think part of it is a time factor. No long term care taught as the intent is to quickly treat the pt and then resume combat duties once the 91W arrives.

Its a damn shame, one of the biggest problems guys walked off the line from was dealing with real, bleeding trauma. No prep didn't help.

In Iraq, it was exactly how you describe, make the 9 line, evac chopper in bound and touching down within about 7 min. However, in A-stan I'm hearing things like 2 guys go out with a bunch of Afghani's and stay out for a week +. We're talking hours from the flag pole in areas where medevac doesn't go. With two CLS trained troops, the likelyhood of saving one another is pretty low, especially for most troops when the reality is that they learn CLS when the mob, and then that is the last time they actually do it. My group is going out without an integral medic to even keep us fresh when we're on the FOB.

SOMedic: Sorry for the late reply, PM sent. I'm looking forward to the new CLS course, and hopefully the trainers will teach us the right way. With the training I have now, I will be able to give a realistic assessment of what they are giving us. Also I have downloaded the student and instructor curriculum, so that should the leave anything out, Johnny on the spot will be there to correct. However, I do feel that some folks are walking out into a situation where they could be in over their heads real quick, without the ability to get any type of ALS to their location for assistance when the SHTF. This is especially geared toward the folks who work ETT.

Mntldr: PM being sent back to you. Live tissue lab? Only one good place an enlisted medic can get that type of training ans it isnt in JackAss flats wyoming!

Stay in touch

Somedic

Mtn Soldier: I see you mentioned the ETT's. I am trying to get on one of them. I had hoped to be going in January, but no joy. I am trying to get as much training as I can before I leave so I will be better prepared. I am even going to do some running at a station that sees alot more violent crime than mine, so I can be better prepared.

somedic, I never got reply from you reference the information you talked about. I'd appreciate it if you'd resend it.

I figure the best deal for me is to get the best training possible then take few deployments. As time passes and I take more training (paramedic, cls-if I can, and everything else I can get ahold of) my skill level will gradually increase. I would like to be hitting a decent stride by the end of 4 years from now.

itku2er: :)

Kel

Jtski and mtnldr: Let me preface the following suggestions Im about to give with this: Im not the final word in prehospital/tactical/hazmat medicine. The following are ideas Ive picked up either from my unit or other units since 9-11-01

1. Memorize nine line medevac requests...Also try to find those GTAs on the subject. Practice nine lines on the radios you will be using in combat.

2. Prewrite each soldier's FMC (field medical card). Obviously leave injuries and tx blank! let each soldier pack his own FMC in their IFAK

3. Practice patient evaluations in anything but normal circumstances. One example is on a firing range at night. If you are not firing or on details try that out.

4. Same thing for IV sticks.

5. Invest in a good head lamp with colored lens options. (tactikka XP by petzl is the heat in my oppinion). You will be glad you have one if you dont already.

6. Carry over with you multiple pairs of good trauma shears.

7. If you can find 10-14ga needles of greater than two inches before you go, carry those!

8. Practice applying CAT tourniquets to YOUR own extremities often! Think Im crazy? Think about it. Practice in full kit as often as you can. Im telling you this for a good reason.

9. Carry at least four tourniquets with you.

10. Make sure you have a pocket mask or better device for artificial respiration. The current CLS packing list has nothing for airway management except NPAs. (Army doesnt see the importance of airway barrier devices for CLS)

11. Asherman Chest seals are great. Plastic you precut for the same purpose is great too!

12. If you put a field dressing over a chest wound that you have achieved a flutter valve effect with plastic on like the CLS student book tells you to do...You will kill the patient starting with a tension pneumothorax.

13. The student book tells you that the nearest medic will resupply you with supplies you use from your aid bag...Dont count on that!

The list could go on but stops here for now. I hope this helps

Somedic

itku2er: :)

Kel

LMAO KEL.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

later

Terri

1073-1.gif

Mntldr: PM being sent back to you. Live tissue lab? Only one good place an enlisted medic can get that type of training ans it isnt in JackAss flats wyoming!

Stay in touch

Somedic

Live tissue lab is pushing it, of course, but moulage would be nice... if you can't get the real thing get as close as you can, right? Live tissue is reserved for those "special" medics. Maybe someday I'll give a run at that stuff, if I feel like going back enlisted.

SSG - Good luck hooking up with an ETT. I'll be joining that group you talked about it looks like. They are doing a near total change over in 2nd QTR.

I don't want to sound like I am bashing the way the Army teaches BLS, its not that AT ALL. We're doing a great job, especially with the new curriculum. However, we have to very different (at least it looks like it to me) ways of running medevac, and very different timelines of treatment. The majority will be in Iraq where evac support is PLENTIFUL, but there are a select few who are going into dangerous places with potentially dangerous people, and could use some additional medical training for the long term solution,, when evac isn't immediately available. Maybe I'm totally blowing smoke, who knows. Maybe I'll never be more than a couple of hours from the FOB. I don't know yet. But there is a reason why the 18D is trained up the way they are, we seem to have a lot of folks doing "similar" missions (meaning that they link up with a bunch of indiginous, and execute ops far away from the flagpole) without the same kind of medical support integral to their unit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.