finding the right stethoscope. which do you use?

speak

I've read that the Ultrascope is great for breath sounds, but not good for bp's. The majority of people seem to prefer Littman, but don't specify which model, or why they prefer it.

I'm in the market for one. I don't want to spend more then $100, considering how easily it can be lost or destroyed in this profession.

I've found some tips through googling (feel free to add your own):

-rubber ear pieces provide better sound

-thicker tubing provides better sound

-dual tubes might rub together distorting sound

What is your stethoscope of choice, and why?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, thanks. i brought that post back from the dead earlier today. :D no one specifies which Littman they prefer over the Ultrascope, or why bp's are difficult to get with a Ultrascope :?:

Im an idiot. LOL

Teach me for not looking before I cut and paste a link.

In regards to your question, i havent noticed a difference.

When I started EMT school I purchased a Puretone Clinical Lite. It's light as all hell (4oz) and is terrific in the hospital. I never miss a single BP. Working in the field is a whole other story. The ear pieces don't have enough pressure in them, causing the left earpiece to not seal when taking a BP from the CPR seat. The tubing conducts so much noise that I can't auscultate a BP while the truck is running.

Since I started paramedic school I purchased a Littmann Cardiology III. Haven't gotten to use it in the field yet, but I'm hoping for good results. There isn't a single medic on any of the four platoons here that uses anything but a Littmann. We have some terrific medics here, and they all use either a Classic II, Master Classic, Cardiology III, or Master Cardiology. I chose the C3 because frankly, peds patients scare the crap out of me already, the ears in our peds bags cost about $10, and I like having the dedicated peds head.

Also, I'm not the type of person that looses things. I've had the same pair of Oakley sunglasses for ten years. If I was forgetful, I'd tend to go with a Classic II.

Michael, three words why you should not get it, Pennywise the Clown. He scared the poop out of me. :lol: Seriously, allot of people use this style of scope at my hospital and seem to like it.

Take care,

chbare.

I lug a Littman Classic II around my neck. I don't find it too heavy, but it's thick enough to drown out most extraneous noise from the moving patient compartment. I do like the idea of having the dual heads, as well. I've had good luck with it.

And some quirks of mine to not lose it: It's engraved with my name, and it's bright, fluorescent orange. Why? Who in their right minds wants to steal a bright orange stethoscope? No one. And it'll never get left on scene or in another ambulance during an intercept.

And if for no other reason, my wonderful girlfriend bought it for my birthday. :-D

I also use a Littman Classic II. Although I can't compare it to more expensive steths, I have tried a bunch of different lower quality ones and I find mine to offer the best sound (maybe because I'm used to it or maybe because it's better). The price isn't too bad... mine was about $80 CAD.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.