How I hate thee firefighters, let me count the ways....

Listen to the EMTs on-scene when it comes to patient care - they might have some good ideas. Like not cutting the seatbelt of the belted driver of the car that is upside-down in the woods.

Don't cut apart the car if all we need is to open the door.

Please leave when we ask you to...the help is appreciated, but some patients just really feel better with only 2 people standing over them, instead of 5+.

Please don't get upset when I ask you to carry patients for me. I'm small and short, and it is a lot easier for you to lift the stairchair or stretcher up high enough than it is for me. You're probably stronger than I am anyways. I'm not trying to be a jerk when I ask this of you. I don't call you specifically for this unless the patient is really big. If you're on-scene anyways, I am going to expect that the 3 six-foot-tall+ firefighters will carry the patient and the 5' EMT will carry the equipment.

Above all: communicate with us. That is the only way that we can get along and do what it best for the patient.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I gotta get my two feet in this one. I am both a career FF and Medic. In my department we switch shifts riding the engine six months, riding the buggy six months. I love the switch. I enjoy both sides of the fence, though yes, I am partial to medical. In the next county over, which is very rural, fire responds before EMS many times, carries full ALS equipment and is ALL volunteer (they paid to put most of their people through at least basic class, though several are career medics with a local transport service). They do an excellent job as they have first responded for us a few times with calls right at the county line or when one of us is tied up. We join up for fire and ems training doing one shift training of ems stuff a month and the rest fire. We have fun, get along great, and both sides are very competent. I wouldn't trade it any day. I'm not saying my dept is any better than anyone else's but I think we have a great system, and if anyone challenges something that works, well, just show me how it can be improved ! No griping heard here !

Our FD is great to work with, they do the cutting for extrication then move out of the way and let us take over. They will ask if we need them to do anything, and follow our directions wonderfully. We have also trained with the FD on extrication and stuff. There is only one FF/EMT on the FD. It is an all volunteer service. I am thinking after reading most of the posts here that we are the exception, not the rule.

I cant believe what Im reading here. You stretcher people/ambulance drivers are the biggest bunch of crybaby bitc hes Ive ever seen! I can understand a little frustration with you guys not being able to do your thing with a maltese cross on your back, but put down the hoho's, quit smoking, and go for a run. Your local FD will be hiring again soon!

This animosity and mutual encouragement is like a sad circle jerk of biblical proportions, starring Richard Simmons's target audience.

So now its time to make a choice. Type about how ignorant I am of how hardcore life in EMS is (even though I am in it up to my eyeballs), or (this is what I would do, but most people choose corroboration ahead of good advice) stfu, get off the internet, and do something productive with your day (NOT dungeons and dragons!).

ANd by day, I mean 9pm-3am. God knows you sundowners see less sunlight than the average eyeliner and panty hose wearing goth outcasts you went to high school with. Which also may have been.... you.

Hmmmm sounds like you haven't read all the posts. This is nothing more than a venting post and nothing more. yes people have offered ideas as to how to remedy the problems they are having ... but the next time a firefighter with ZERO experiance pushes me out of the way to carry the backboard. thinking thats thier job and the DROPS said PT beacuse they arent sure where the cot is and they just let go hoping it is under the board. Yes it has happened to me and has happened more times than i care to count with the same crew of firemen. They do not run first responce and i DO NOT call them for lifting assistence EVER. they only respond with EMS to MVC's and industrail accidents. They have the oppertunity to train with us they choose not to.

So yes i have the right to bitch and being as i am also a firefighter on the Fire dept. Gives me even more of a right to bitch about my dept.

Be Safe

Race

Hmmmm sounds like you haven't read all the posts. This is nothing more than a venting post and nothing more. yes people have offered ideas as to how to remedy the problems they are having ... but the next time a firefighter with ZERO experiance pushes me out of the way to carry the backboard. thinking thats thier job and the DROPS said PT beacuse they arent sure where the cot is and they just let go hoping it is under the board. Yes it has happened to me and has happened more times than i care to count with the same crew of firemen. They do not run first responce and i DO NOT call them for lifting assistence EVER. they only respond with EMS to MVC's and industrail accidents. They have the oppertunity to train with us they choose not to.

So yes i have the right to bitch and being as i am also a firefighter on the Fire dept. Gives me even more of a right to bitch about my dept.

Be Safe

Race

Be Safe

Race

I've been doing 48 hour shifts for 16 years in Atlanta, so I've been on both sides of the fence on this one and personally I've folks from both sides Fire and EMS that I wouldn't want treating a dead cat much less a human......So before we all start condemning one certain career, we need to realize that we have come to a point now in the tiers that we must coexist together.

I don't have any experience with the volunteer stuff but in the busy metros like Atlanta, everyone gets a lot of experience and for the most part with a few exceptions of course. do their job well and work well together.