Child Abuse - A Unique Form of Trauma

John

The first step in helping abused or neglected children is learning to recognize the signs of child abuse and neglect. Child abuse is both shocking and commonplace. Child abusers inflict physical, sexual, and emotional trauma on defenseless children every day. The scars can be deep and long-lasting. Unfortunately, the more subtle forms of child abuse such as neglect and emotional abuse can be just as traumatizing as violent physical abuse. Focused support can help both the victims of child abuse and the child abusers themselves. Your next call could be child being abuse do you know what to do, who to call?

130606.mp3

This is a very hot topic in our area at this time. A friend of mine granddaughter was recently murdered. She was 2 years old and while my friends son was in Iraq, the mother and a new "boy-friend" obviously started abusing this child.

My friend and his wife kept a journal with pictures, documentation and frequent visits to physician, and yes even to child welfare division. All of them stated ... don't worry it is normal for the child to have received 1) femur fracture 2) humerus fracture 3) CHI all of these within the past year. State officials finally went to court with my friends persistence. The Judge refused to remove the child from the mother.. and now because of this, the mother and the boyfriend is being prosecuted for murder and the innocent child is dead.

Ironically I read the family is now suing the physician that examined her.... good!

Yes, we go through in-service annually to brush up recognizations of symptoms of child and geriatric abuse. Although, usually we do not report directly to child welfare, we do inform the nurse, the physician, and document suspicious findings, without directive stating such.

I always tell the physician if he does not inform child welfare, I will. Not only bound by conscience but legal as well. There have been a few times that I have, when the physician did not.

R/r 911

I am an advocate for these kids. I dont give a rats @$$ who you are or what you do ......If i suspect it I report it....

Rid you made a good point with the Welfare system in our country.....IT SUCKS.....when these kids are abused some social workers think that it is normal occurances for these injuries..using the old adage...Kids will be kids and they get hurt...BULLCRAP........But you let a mother or father correct their child and they are all over you for abuse.....that is so messed up and STUPID......But it is our wonderful social working system and tax dollars at work....

I have personally dealt with a case of abuse.....and I will be the first to say that I could have killed the SOB with my bear hands.....and not thought twice about it....Kids are our gifts from God to be treasured, loved and cherished......Not be abused or used or even exploited in anyway.......

OPPS I better get off my soap box.......

Later

Terri

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.