1st episode of Saved

I pick apart military movies the same way and my wife always reminds me, its just a movie. She swears people will not think that what they see in a movie like "Basic" or "the Last Castle" is the way the Army really is. Was Chips or NYPD Blue the way cops really are? Any Lawyers want to critique LA Law, the Practice or Ally McBeal? Drs talk about Chicago hope, St Elsewhere, or ER?

It is TV folks. Most of the plot lines could be the same with some different profession as the vehicle! Either watch or don't, but why waste all this energy critiquing a show that will probably be gone in a season.

Sarge

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Beegers
At the very least, they could get a newer ambulance and Wyatt could at LEAST button up his uniform shirt (that irked me, I know it's a little thing but I'm sure there's very few people that would look that unprofessional).

Get a newer ambulance for a TELEVISION SHOW?? You have got to be joking?? There are PAID city EMS services with trucks older than that with the old classic rotating light bars as compared to strobes. I was actually surprised they had a strobed ambulance on the show when I saw it.

Hackensack FD EMS (NJ) literally JUST got a new rig after years. If you only saw the original rigs those pieces of crap. I had to pull a volly shift in it one night and begged my crew chief to never put me in it again.

It's just my personal opinion, I didn't like it as much. I thought the show would have some newer stuff, but I can see if they are small company that they would still have older type I truck. I feel sorry for those real-life companies as well, all the ambulance services around here have really nice rigs.

Guest Beegers

Wanted to see newer stuff? That's nice....But there are VERY few EMS services that are constantly upgrading and getting new rigs and equipment. Especially in busy districts. Those kind of wish funds simply aren't there.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing more EMTs in the ranks then having the show be exclusively Paramedic orientated. We exist too ya know.

Actually that's the only thing they got right. The show is supposed to be set in Portland, Or where they only run dual Medics trucks in real life.

Peace,

Marty

:joker:

For the most part looking at it as entrainment I rather liked it. It wasn't the best I have seen but I can see it as what it meant for.

As far as picking it apart even mt 9 yr old picked up on the empty NRB bag, no gloves, and the unprofessional uniform style. With that being said, I guess it proves a point already made on this thread, most of the public watching the show are not going to think that is exactly how we do things.

One thing I noticed and was happy to see on there not I don't believe anyone had mentioned yet was the hospital diversion scene. Not sure about the rest of you, but we get the crappy nurse who yells at us for bringing them a pt when they are on diversion. Maybe the show will help shed the light on the diversion system so more folks will understand it. I have to admit I was surprised to see it in there.

I do hope they will show us in a more professional light in the near future, but I think that is building. I'm going to keep watching and see where it leads.

Guest Beegers

WHEN the hell is this thread going to be locked???

Funds yes they exist...BUT the CITY runned; FD runned EMS systems has to WANT to look for it. DOn't forget that our president (and in some areas, our governor) is trying, or did, cut back funds and support for america's own ems systems. and thats not just for medical services, they cut back on fire and police. Look in the general news section...NJ is looking to tax hospitals. Where is that money going to come from? You? Should you ever be a patient in NJ.

It's an issue of supply and demand as well...only so much funds for HOW MANY services that want a portion of it?

If the show wanted to be a hit among EMS providers and really wanted to do good and be impacting.. show us in a professional light (not really that hard) so he has to be clean, and wear a uniform correctly is that hard?.. Show the public ER diversions, the lack of beds.... EMS units circling the city hunting for a place to land.. instead of running 15 calls in 30 minutes, most medics have not ran in 20 years, show EMS on B.S> calls why the shooting has to wait. Educate the public the proper use and need of EMS, the poor pay of medics, and the struggle of EMS administrators getting funding and reimbursement.

True, it would not be as breath taking as performing all those initial calls.. but other well lasted shows such as MASH and even old Emergency pointed out the need to improve, and both were very successful medical shows. Maybe the producers should examine "hits" in the past.

As far as those grants, please read were it is limited amount and that it has not passed the Senate yet.. so no there is not a lot of money out there. That is why we need more lobbying action.. for this profession to survive.

R/r 91

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.