1st episode of Saved

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this show paints a pretty bad picture for the few of us willing to do this job. Some of the events were interesting i.e.. the drunk vs. kid. I liked the way the medic put the situation into perspective for the onlooker who wanted the guy to die. But otherwise it is just another misconstrued reality offered up by hollywood for the general population to know even more about something they don't know about. Oh well as long as somebody gets rich at someone elses expense. I can't wait for someone else to tell me i am doing my job wrong because they saw it the "right way" on TV. <JUST MY WORTHLESS TWO CENTS OF RANT>

Just to make this show suck a$$ even more, I noticed something major. Remember when the OD guy stood up and started running around? The medic got an IV and pushed Narcan through it. Interesting enough however, when the guy came around, he was running around with NO IV and NO bleeding present around the IV site.

I'm afraid this was a MAJOR failure...I much would rather ride along and listen to a gay crossdresser talk about why he didn't wear a "bra" to the ER. (That was an actual call I ride along on Monday). EMS is so random, but so interesting. ;)

Later,

EMS_Cadet

So everyone seems to be stuck on the inaccuracies of pre-hospital medicine as portrayed on television, we are all ok with being portrayed as providers with gambling addictions? I hope this is not true.

How many of us work for a private ambulance service that will allow you to wear anything other than the company issued/approved uniform? Anyone else notice that the main character guy was the only one out of uniform? Irritating.

I thought the show left alot to be desired. Unfortunately, this is a show about paramedics -- our job is not really that glorious (at least not in a television show setting) and does not make for great drama.

One thing I found to be excessively accurate and funny (in that sick and twisted EMS way) was when the FNG cut into the down jacket and had the filling EVERYWHERE! .....at least until the next scene.

I think something that everyone has missed is that it is a pilot. Pilot episodes are never hailed as being the best of a series and it is unfair to assume that this last episode was a fair example of what the series will be. The acting was not of the greatest I've seen but most pilots are like that. I didn't like the little flashbacks though. That was kinda gimmicky. Casting could have been a bit better for some of the characters. I think the series has potential but it needs time to begin to come out. Also did anyone one notice that who ever picked the music had a bit of a thing for Hendrix?

I think IanJ might be right. Let's see this thing an episode or two down the road.

Clearly the pilot is there to set up the show, and it was shot a while ago...I read in JEMS that the producers said they're working on the accuracy stuff.

We'll see, its far from great now, but for the average folks can be entertaining. I think for anyone, watching a show about what they do is difficult because its so easy to pick out the mistakes.

NO IV

Later,

EMS_Cadet

When he stood up, he clearly pulls it out. and as for the blood; sometimes they bleed-sometimes they don't. Especially if their veins are bad (drug use, etc).

I was watching an old movie, Fire On Kelly Mountain, a Disney film from the 70's. Had one of those guys from CHiP's on it, I couldn't help but notice that when he used the Osbourne Azimuth (Fire Finder) he did it wrong... Not that anything can be done, or that it matters. Just have to remember it's entertainment, not reality. If you want to see inaccuracy in reality, watch that Paramedics on DSCHealth.. They screwed up a lot too, which, according to the network, was one of a pile of reasons they cancelled it.

Remember that Emergency! screwed up too, many a time Johnny & Roy read off a BP with out taking the cuff out of the box.. and the CPR...? :D

I missed the show ( duty called ), but when the medic pushed the " IV" of Narcan and the pt stood up, did he kick the medic's ass? In my limited experience, we push just enough narcan to not bring them to full consciousness because we all know how violent a junkie gets when you bring him down from a $200.00 high. Remember, your own safety is paramount.

I will make it a point to see the next episode. Just to see what I'm not missing. :wink:

What those producers need are some real paramedics to help them out. The day I'll be happy is when there is an accurate, professional show about this job, and that depicts the reality of the job. Then, obviously, everyone else would be happy, but would we? Who would want to see our day from start to finish? So the show should atleast be accurate.

Oh, and just an overall pet-peeve of mine in any show is when you do CPR, you dont look like your massaging someones chest! Were not rubbing in lotion here, they should atleast get a manikin of some kind for those scenes and look like your actually trying to bring someone around.

Guest Beegers
To add to the inaccuracies, how about the OD that was being bagged while he was sitting, and the mask wasn't even being held to the pt.'s face. I know someone touched on not wearing gloves, espeacally with the pregnant pt. Thats just nasty. And we so calm, not to mention the baby looked more than just a newborn.

And where will you find a newborn that a parent is willing to film?? I have NEVER seen ANY birth on a drama where the infant was as tiny as a newborn.

I didn't get to see it, was sent on a call in another district. However, my crew did and a crew from another station did. They liked it, said it was a good drama and were along the lines you are (greatful they showed us doing something other then just driving the ambulance).

One should note that most people aren't really going to judge us by simply what they see. If anything they learn to hate characters, not the job they perform. I would rather them show us as normal people then heros, we all know that there are more then enough people in this industry with a God complex.

My honest opinion....It really could have been worse. The small inaccuracies (NRB bag not inflated) really are trivial...ONLY those in the field would recognise that. I'm just glad that there is a series out now that shows more of the field...in my case, the type of calls we can get.

Like Medic2588's book, he was criticized for making his book to take a humorous twist instead of focusing on the gory depressing issues. But what he wrote was still real. I let my grandmother read his books, and I admitted up front to her, that a few cases he wrote about really was unprofessional etiquette, but still happens. She told me it gave her a glimpse into what we go through because she never understood why I chose to get into this field. This show in my opinion is the same....it opens eyes more. And if their viewers have any brains they know IT"S A GOD DAMNED TELEVISION SHOW>>>ENTERTAINMENT!

Back to the premier...They introduced WAY TOO MANY story lines. Gambling medic with parental troubles/ex gf; deadbeat dad trying to make ammends; mormen newbie; aggressive latina; then whatever the ex gf's story is....blah blah blah

My opinion again...3 of 5 stars. Would be better without the ex gf doctor. That story line is seriously overkill. You want a loveline? Put the gambler with the latina or something like that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.