Flight Medics/RNs

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man oh man. How do you guys reconcile these points

1. Yes, get all the education you can. Preferred degree, with all the alphabet certs.. (ACLS, PHTLS, NRP, PALS, AMLS,) Paramedic CCEMT/P

or FLP the minimum.

2. Yes, most recommend at least 5 years experience minimum as a Paramedic, with extensive experience in urban, aggressive rural or metro.

10. Yes, it is a VERY dangerous business... Yes, you may DIE! This happens way too often, and no I am not talking a couple times a year..

9. It is a VERY competitive business, they have a love/hate relationship with each other. It is as well a very government regulated business.

...With these?

3. No, the pay is not that much difference and actually may be lower than ground transport EMS, usually it is based upon experience

Man oh man. How do you guys reconcile these points

...With these?

Actually it's very true! Most employers know that there are 100 people waiting for flight job if someone quits. Of those 100 maybe 10 are qualified, and maybe 5 are actually a good fit for the company. So its a buyers market if you will, simple supply and demand at work.

All the things Rid said are 100% accurate. I would add that you may be able to do a third ride program with some services, not a bad idea if you are curious about the field. This normally is easier to acomplish with goverment or hospital-based programs, but some private companies may be willing to let you ride along too.

Noah

We even did away with the pins. I don't know why. But there you have it.

Otherwise, I have to agree with what Rid posted.

Fiznat, to answer your question, I look at it as an expansion of experience that I just wouldn't get in a ground job. I still work the ground. But there are things and patients and challenges offered in my flight job that I just don't get on the ground. Not to sound too altruistic but there is a certain satisfaction in that (well, that and the chicks dig a guy in a flight suit and helmet ;)).

And Noahmedic's response on the supply and demand aspect apply, too.

-be safe.

Fiznat, to answer your question, I look at it as an expansion of experience that I just wouldn't get in a ground job. I still work the ground. But there are things and patients and challenges offered in my flight job that I just don't get on the ground. Not to sound too altruistic but there is a certain satisfaction in that (well, that and the chicks dig a guy in a flight suit and helmet ;)).

And Noahmedic's response on the supply and demand aspect apply, too.

-be safe.

I didn't think about that, but the "expansion of experience" is also true. I've learned so much about in-hospital care doing critical care interfacility transports. And chicks really do dig a guy in a flight suit. :wink:

Noah

Do they have a set of guidelines they follow, as far as criteria for what they will transport by air? What sort of injuries.

I notice with the two services we deal with there are some differences? As far as if the pt is stable/unstable, some will come for hand amputations, others it has to be above the elbow. Severe head injuries some want them trasported to the closest facility, and they will meet you there. Others will come right to the scene. Just seems a little vague. This is what recieve, but it seems its at the crews discresion.

Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Statewide Trauma Triage Guidelines for Air Medical Services

Operational Conditions

1. When a patient meets the patient criteria defined below and scene arrival time to established arrival time at the nearest appropriate hospital, including extrication time, exceeds 20 minutes.

2. Patient location, weather or road conditions preclude the use of standard ground ambulance or

3. Multiple casualties/patients are present which will exceed the capabilities of local hospital and agencies.

Patient Conditions

Physiological criteria:

>

Unstable vital signs

- Blood pressure less than 90

- Respiratory Rate greater than 30 or less than 10

Anatomical criteria:

>

Evidence of spinal cord injury including paralysis or Parasthesia.

>

Severe Blunt trauma

- head injury (Glascow Coma Scale < 12 )

- severe chest or abdominal injury

- severe pelvic injuries excluding simple hip fractures

>

Burns

- greater than 20 % body surface area (BSA) second and third degree burns

- evidence of airway or facial burns

- circumferential extremity burns

- burns associated with trauma

>

Penetrating injuries of the head, neck, chest abdomen, or groin

>

Amputations of extremities excluding digits

Special Conditions

The following should be considered in deciding whether to request air medical transport, but are not automatic or absolute criteria.

Mechanism of Injury:

>

Motor Vehicle Crash

- High speed MVC

- Prolonged extrication > 20 minutes

- Fatality within the same vehicle

- Ejection from vehicle

>

Pedestrian struck by vehicle and thrown more than 15 feet, or run

over by a vehicle.

>

Significant medical history

- Age greater than 55 or less than 10

- Significant coexistent illness

- Pregnancy

What are the optimal flying conditions? (weather related)

Hello, I work for a flight program in Massachusetts. We are a non-profit/hospital affiliated program. We work in an RN/Paramedic configuration. We operate three rotor wing aircraft, two ground ambulances and one fixed wing. We have pins and a very generic patch...if you would like one of either let me know. You also stated that you had a few questions, I will try and answer as many as I can.

Sean

Weather mins:

Within 30 miles of Boston VOR

Day Ceiling 800 feet Visibility 2 miles

night Ceiling 1000 feet Visibility 3 miles

Within 30-90 miles of Boston VOR

Day Ceiling 1000 feet Visibility 3 miles

Night Ceiling 1500 feet Visibility 4 miles

and it continues upward, there is not optimal weather conditions so to speak...safety comes first no matter what!

Our minimums are a little less than yours. Daytime minimums are a 500 foot ceiling with one mile visibility. Nighttime I believe is 800 feet with two mile visibility. And if you've been out there in those conditions you know that neither of the above is a lot. However, with that said, if any single team member doesn't feel comfortable then it's a no-go and the flight is either denied or aborted after lift off.

"Three to go, one to say no" is repeated at every shift change, at every pilot brief, at every mention where weather is a concern. I don't know of any negative repercussions to any flight team member for calling off a flight.

Safety first, last and always.

But damn! it's a fun job.

-be safe.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.