Zoll E-series?

• 5 weeks later...

Sadly the answer is no as the problems with Zoll monitors seems to plague the entire family. Our service uses the CCT, the m-series and is trying out the e-series. My recommendation would be to try anything else.

I have made numerous posts about Zoll monitors, on a variety of forums, to the point now that I feel like an anti-Zoll zealot, but I do feel strongly about this: Look for something else.

I am not a gear-head type of guy I just want equipment that works and I could care less about the name on the monitor, but when equipment starts impacting on your care it is time to try something else.

For example, people say the NIBP is slow and inaccurate, and I would agree and to take it a step further I would say you would be hard pressed to get a reading on anyone under 100 systolic. Picture being stuck in a plane, wondering if your art line is accurate, trying to confirm it with a NIBP but guess what? You can’t get one so you go with the art line reading of 98/60, then you notice ‘phantom’ pacing spikes but you know the patient does not have a pacemaker so now the monitor is counting those as complexes so the rate on the monitor is faster than it should be, all the while your SpO2 sensor is beeping all the time because the cable is coming apart where it hooks into the monitor.

What else? Battery life can be an issue. Oh and they are heavy and expensive.

My service just replaced the Zoll M with Zoll E Series monitors (just 3 days ago!). I have yet to really have an opportunity to use the monitor other than once on a chest pain call. I will say that the quality of the 12 lead was superior to that of our old M monitors - But that could be attributed to the fact that the old monitors were 6 years old.

Our service has not installed the NiBP option - all are done manually.

So far I'm not overly impressed with the E Series - mainly due to the size/weight and 'awkwardness' of carrying it and lack of storage space.

I can't speak off any technical/performance issues d/t only using it once so far.

I'm pretty sure that all the GTA services and potentially other Ontario services that use Zoll's get them changed pretty much concurrently. I have been told that we will soon be getting the Zoll E as well.

From what I know the monitor itself is free (or minimal cost), it is the add-ons that the services pay for.

Yet again I'm sure that my service will NOT be getting either 12 lead or NIBP capability. Which is truly amazing considering basically all services in Ontario have either one or both of these options (ours currently only have 3 lead, SpO2, and waveform capnography). NIBP I could take or leave it, but not having 12 leads is loosing a standard of care.

Thankfully we use LP 12 with 12 lead, NIBP, SPO2 and capnography. After using various Zoll models in ACLS/PALS and other courses I have found them to be less than adequate and prefer the physiocontrol products.

I would certainly think you would have a reason to think them as "less than adequate"? Why do you feel the LP12 is better?

• 7 months later...

Have been working with the E- series and while it looks different it behaves like the M-series. Just adding a little scroll pad made things a little better, must say the different screen options (color vs contrast) are very nice. However it feels as heavy as a Lifepak 12, actually thought someone ran over a LP 12 and stuck a Zoll sticker on it :wink:

I have worked with both LP 12 and the Zoll E and M series, I stand by my other posting about comparing LP vs Zoll.

My largest gripe about them all is to many things running to the patient, the lead wires, fast patch cable, blood pressure tubing, pox cable, data cable and other options if chosen. Mix that with your O2 tubing, IV tubing, it makes it almost impossible to move a patient without losing a connection somewhere. And the wires they use DO NOT hold up well at all. Lets see them fix that issue.

One question if anyone can answer it please do so. When the Zoll says lead off with nothing wrong ( good patch connections, new monitor with good cables, and proper lead selection) how does one capture or regain the tracing on the monitor ?????

My service is currently using the 'M' series, but slowly switching to the 'E' series.

From the amount of times I've used the 'E' all I can say is I'd still much prefer the LP12. Less user friendly, push and hold buttons are a waste of time, alarms for everything. The alarm feature on the LP12 was great, set the alarm silence time and other features with a quick turn and click. On the 'E' and 'M', I have no idea how to keep the alarms off. They just keep coming back.

The 'M' and 'E' series are bulky making them difficult to find a good place to set it. I've seen the platform some services have. I find the platforms make the stretcher very top heavy. The LP12 design of "the white bar" had the LP12 hanging lowering the center of gravity (relative to other attempts to raise various monitors/d-fibs). I don't like setting the monitor on a patients legs, even if they're unconscious or VSA. Having the monitor on the back mesh is alright, but still not ideal. ie: wires hanging over the sides or pulling over the head of the stretcher, hard to reach and/or see if on the bench seat beside patient. Also with some new models of the #35X ferno stretcher having the monitor on the rear mesh actually triggers the release mechanism to lower or "crack the back".

One more point to mention is the battery of the 'E' will drain fast if you do not turn off the ETCO2 monitor. Not sure if it's just our programming, but it starts warming ETCO2 as soon as you turn on the monitor every time. So it's manual mode and waste some time with press and holds then ETCO2 off and 30 seconds to 1 minute later you're good to go. Great for a VSA but for only 2-3/week not worth the hassel on every other call.

Dear Zoll the maker of our beloved M series Monitors,

Your monitors are peices of doo doo. For about 10,000 a piece, they're the most expensive. They are a waste of much needed rescources that my agency can redirect in another area. ( Raises, a 10,000 dollar raise would be nice ) :lol: Your ETCO2 piggy back machine is a joke, (which you claim it to be 100% reliable) You did mean 100% unreliable right? Oh you mean so we have to re-zero it everytime we turn it on? Oh ok I thought that it was zeroed and never needed to be re-zeroed. Your NIBP is probably about the only thing its good for. 12 lead is less then legitamate, and the SPo2 is telling me I'm 74 % on RA on a 85 degree weather day. :) That one was funny!!! I cannot believe you guys even allow your monitor to be used on the president (when he ever needs it). I would much prefer the LP 12's any day, given they're not as "flashy" as yours. They are flawed as well, but nowhere as bad as yours. In conclusion, I would much prefer in ultilizing LP12's then allowing your monitor to be used on my family. BTW be careful those "ghost pacer spikes" will get ya!!

Sincerely,

The Zoll Zealot

My name is Zoll Zealot and I approved this message.

We use the LP 12 at all 3 services I'm involved in with good results. As far as NIBP pretty accurate unless on very rough road. We always take first BP manually for a baseline and if LP12 gives significantly different reading we confirm manually. As always treat the patient not the machine. If baby's blue and pulse/ox is 99% something ain't right.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.