Advanced Practice Paramedic???

if anyone can help me here I would really appreciate it. I was until p.m. And went back and got my RN degree and finished in 2010 and have been working between the ER and recovery room until last year when I finally decided to take some time off work. But would I really want to do even the most people think I'm insane but my passion is emergency medicine in the field getting my hands dirty,and cliche sounding yes-but I want to truly be there and be a Positive and/or defing part for someone when the worst happens...not push meds all day or listen to most of my coworkers gossip like children, laugh at a patients expense or prejudge them because of whatever problem they r having or situation they r in...and most of all the complaints re having to actually wipe a rear end or heaven forbid take 5 mins to help a patient eat because their hands or body as whole wont cooperate.God forbid cause there isnt a cna available right then they have to do what they consider underming grunt work simply because u have a diploma and plastic card with R.N. behind ur name. Hospital care is becoming more subpar and more concerned with maintaing less staff for more profit and having nurses act as servant/concierge's to "VIP" patients way before taking care of a regular joe because he isnt a major monetary contributor to the CEOs pocketbook. I do love Nursing but I don't like.what it's becoming... and no offense here, but working with burnout and bitter know it all grouchy women everyday isn't my cup of tea or what I envisioned myself, life,or career becoming.More and more hospitalsr degrading to less and less stellar care with no repercussionsand th horrible attitudes r highly flu like contagious and the beaurocratic B.S. is dispicable.I have done several ambulance ride alongs out of choice.most recently I volunteered when the multiple devestating tornadoes ripped through central alabama and leveling my childhood home and 80% ofbmy hometown.I lost count of how many rides I was involved in as well as how many people I helped free from debris but I do remember exactly how many I saw that were already gone and the most significant and heartbreaking were the 2 that passed right in front of me when all I could do was pray,stay calm, and let them go in peace...my best friend of 13 years was one of them. After that i helped with search and rescue,and everyday for 3 weeks after my day job I volunteered in triage tents and shelter setups.that disaster and chaos and watching my best friend leave this earth solidified my decision.I always knew I that I picked the right path as far as being in the medical field, It just took a little longer and a lot of life experience to figure out I just made the wrong turn in the beginning . So..I apologize for the novel but what I need help with is a good fast track eMt b program that's the least expensive as possible, I'm still paying back nursing school loans.Between 2 small kids and a husband not to mention bills that still have to be paid I could use some advice.I spoke with the head of Alabama's ems division who literally said "I don't know of any fast track programs within hundreds of miles, but good luck" yep. I also called a specific regional ems director who runs the enter/paramedic program at the college I went to and all I Gordon him was "I don't know, no ones ever asked me that before but with all ur credits here it shouldn't be that big a deal considering the courses emt require but u have already taken. He actually thanked me for posing signs question.he said to let him investigate it further and he would get back with me. 8 months later and many unanswered follow up calls I placed and Im not even an inch closer to know what to do. So please, any advice would be appreciated, with the exception of those who will say I'm stupid for wanting this change, u can keep those comments to Yourself. also, traveling out of state for a few weeks is fine and I've seen a few programs that do it....but im sure some r scams so figuring which programs are actually accredited and legit and affordable is the obstacle. Thanks in advanced to anyone who can throw some good insights and wisdom my way.

OWW. I can't even read that right now it's making my head hurt.

Every CRNA I have ever known, without exception, drove either a Mercedes or a BMW.

I think they issue them upon graduation or something. :roll:

:( I miss Dusty...

:confused::bonk:

First, welcome to the City. You will find many different opinions here (some you will like, some you won't). I'm sorry to hear about your friend and you community. Can I make one suggestions and please don't take it as me trying to chase away someone new to the site? We all like to help and answer questions, but none of us like to try to decipher a difficult to read paragraph. I am no grammar nazi and make plenty of written mistakes myself but it would help us help you if we had something a bit more coherent and paragraphed to go off of.

I'm going to assume that you meant what arctic said. No one is going to begrude you or give you a hard time for wanting to change fields. We have all thought about it once ot twice, I do it on an almost weekly basis. Make sure you understand what EMS really is. The experience you have had is the exception and not the rule. Disasters like that are a once or twice in a life time deal. Do more ride alongs and see the real work involved with EMS before you decide.

I don't know the first thing about EMS in Alabama so I can't help you there but have you tried google? Be careful going out of state. An EMS card does not transfer from state to state as easily as your nursing license does. Check with you state EMS office to see what the policy is.

You will find that most people on here despise the accelerated card mills. I generally agree with this, with a caveat. If you have been through nursing school, you will probably find EMT class easy. You already have more knowledge of anatomy, physiology and pathology than you need. You know how to do vitals and provide first aid. It is just a matter of learning the more EMS specific things such as traction splints, immobilization, etc.

• Like 2

Edited for clarity - but not the grammar - I left that for Zel Densch(inside joke)

if anyone can help me here I would really appreciate it. I was until p.m. And went back and got my RN degree and finished in 2010 and have been working between the ER and recovery room until last year when I finally decided to take some time off work.

But would I really want to do even the most people think I'm insane but my passion is emergency medicine in the field getting my hands dirty,and cliche sounding yes-but I want to truly be there and be a Positive and/or defing part for someone when the worst happens...not push meds all day or listen to most of my coworkers gossip like children, laugh at a patients expense or prejudge them because of whatever problem they r having or situation they r in...and most of all the complaints re having to actually wipe a rear end or heaven forbid take 5 mins to help a patient eat because their hands or body as whole wont cooperate.

God forbid cause there isnt a cna available right then they have to do what they consider underming grunt work simply because u have a diploma and plastic card with R.N. behind ur name. Hospital care is becoming more subpar and more concerned with maintaing less staff for more profit and having nurses act as servant/concierge's to "VIP" patients way before taking care of a regular joe because he isnt a major monetary contributor to the CEOs pocketbook.

I do love Nursing but I don't like.what it's becoming... and no offense here, but working with burnout and bitter know it all grouchy women everyday isn't my cup of tea or what I envisioned myself, life,or career becoming.More and more hospitalsr degrading to less and less stellar care with no repercussionsand th horrible attitudes r highly flu like contagious and the beaurocratic B.S. is dispicable.I have done several ambulance ride alongs out of choice.most recently I volunteered when the multiple devestating tornadoes ripped through central alabama and leveling my childhood home and 80% ofbmy hometown.

I lost count of how many rides I was involved in as well as how many people I helped free from debris but I do remember exactly how many I saw that were already gone and the most significant and heartbreaking were the 2 that passed right in front of me when all I could do was pray,stay calm, and let them go in peace...my best friend of 13 years was one of them. After that i helped with search and rescue,and everyday for 3 weeks after my day job I volunteered in triage tents and shelter setups.that disaster and chaos and watching my best friend leave this earth solidified my decision.

I always knew I that I picked the right path as far as being in the medical field, It just took a little longer and a lot of life experience to figure out I just made the wrong turn in the beginning . So..I apologize for the novel but what I need help with is a good fast track eMt b program that's the least expensive as possible, I'm still paying back nursing school loans.Between 2 small kids and a husband not to mention bills that still have to be paid I could use some advice.I spoke with the head of Alabama's ems division who literally said "I don't know of any fast track programs within hundreds of miles, but good luck" yep.

I also called a specific regional ems director who runs the enter/paramedic program at the college I went to and all I Gordon him was "I don't know, no ones ever asked me that before but with all ur credits here it shouldn't be that big a deal considering the courses emt require but u have already taken. He actually thanked me for posing signs question.he said to let him investigate it further and he would get back with me. 8 months later and many unanswered follow up calls I placed and Im not even an inch closer to know what to do.

So please, any advice would be appreciated, with the exception of those who will say I'm stupid for wanting this change, u can keep those comments to Yourself. also, traveling out of state for a few weeks is fine and I've seen a few programs that do it....but im sure some r scams so figuring which programs are actually accredited and legit and affordable is the obstacle. Thanks in advanced to anyone who can throw some good insights and wisdom my way.

Edited by Ruffmeister Paramedic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.