Advanced Practice Paramedic???

Hi all,

So I'm fairly new here and have while reading posts I see a lot of people who under occupations list terms that I am not familiar with. Who out there have certs that have a Scope of Practice that exceeds the NREMT-P? Could you please share a little about your careers? EMS is a second job for me, I was formerly a Nuclear Engineer. I am starting Medic school and am just looking ahead to the next step. I have and am considering RN or PA education as I already have my BS but I don't want to leave the field. What have you all seen?

As Always,

Thanks

It all depends on what you really want to do. Even though you might have your B.S. most nursing schools still require you to apply and you will still have at least one to two years to finish. P.A. programs are graduate degree programs and usually go all year, some require intense clinical hours (usually one year didactic and one year clinical phase) and some do not allow one to work very many hours while in the program. Both of these programs are difficult to get in, and one should apply early.

Both of these programs are geared or designed for those to work in a hospital setting. I can not stress the point that these programs are NOT SIMILAR to any EMS programs. So many assume that other health care programs are designed alike EMT programs and they are not. Nor will being an EMT will aid you in advancing in other health career, in fact it be the opposite. There are those in the health industry the proclaim EMS is really is not in the health care industry rather in public service ( although I totally disagree). Remember emergency nursing is just one fragment of nursing, in fact most nurses prefer not to enter ER arena as well critical care is NOT the same as ER or EMS. Physicians associate, usually performs procedures, assessments that the physician does not have the time or wants to perform. Yes, there are some that works in rural areas in the ER, or fast track clinic side in metro areas. Again, this is under the scope and practices of the physician they are assigned to. Each state has limits and allowable that they can perform to.

For as initials, credentials, they are over 100 acronyms of EMT levels.. unfortunately. Most of these are the levels between basic and paramedic, with a false or impression of the ability to provide Paramedic level care. Other initials may include board certifications, specialty license. The CCEMT/P or upcoming CCP title is designed for those that have attended additional critical care courses and the program is for those that routinely performs more advanced procedures and cares for critically injured patients or transports from ICU/CCU etc to other facilities. It is highly recommended that you have at least 5 years Paramedic experience before attending.

I highly suggest to seek an EMS academic counselor, if you are truly interested in furthering your EMS education. Many of your courses may transfer, (some may not) and with education background, you will find that it is definitely different from your other experiences.

Good luck in your education,

R/r 911

Nuclear engineer to EMS? Boy, you don't see that every day! Rid offers some excellent advice. I have had several careers including Certified Athletic Trainer and college instructor in sports medicine before getting EMT and paramedic certifications. I left athletic training and went to a second degree nursing program where I earned a BSN in 16 months. After working in the ER and ICU for a year I went into anesthesia and earned an MS in nursing anesthesia. It helps to talk to a bunch of people to learn their educational experiences before making your own decisions. Being a nuclear engineer means you are educated and intelligent so I suspect you might find EMS boring and not very stimulating intellectually. That doesn't mean EMS folks are dumb just that you think on a different level.

Good luck.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

Great points all. Thank you. Spock Would you mind telling me a little more about the scope and daily job of a CRNA? I've heard a lot about being a CRNA but I'm unsure about how true it is.

Every CRNA I have ever known, without exception, drove either a Mercedes or a BMW.

I think they issue them upon graduation or something. :roll:

etfink--Go to www.aana.com which is the American Assoc. of Nurse anesthetists for more information. That would be a better resource than me telling you what I do. I will say that I love my job and am quite happy I pursued this career.

Rid--I often tell people I pass gas for a living. I also used to tell people that my father sold drugs (he was a pharmacist.)

Dust--I drive the Mercedes and my wife drives the BMW. Currently looking for a used Porsche for a new toy.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

In the offshore and international remote paramedic arena, medics are trained to do skills above the "street level" paramedic due to the remote location and lack of immediate medical evacuation.

As an example: our US offshore medics are able to do simple suturing, antibiotic therapy, advanced pharmacology, etc.

Our overseas medics can do layered suturing, simple casting of fractures, central lines, chest tubes, venous cut-downs, etc. We have some medics that are 8+ hours from the nearest real hospital (usually in another country) and they can only travel during the day. Something happens at 7PM + and you have to wait until morning to travel to air strip then flight to hospital, usually by fixed wing.

Many of the local hospitals are a step down in care from what you can provide on your location.

• 8 years later...

if anyone can help me here I would really appreciate it. I was until p.m. And went back and got my RN degree and finished in 2010 and have been working between the ER and recovery room until last year when I finally decided to take some time off work. But would I really want to do even the most people think I'm insane but my passion is emergency medicine in the field getting my hands dirty,and cliche sounding yes-but I want to truly be there and be a Positive and/or defing part for someone when the worst happens...not push meds all day or listen to most of my coworkers gossip like children, laugh at a patients expense or prejudge them because of whatever problem they r having or situation they r in...and most of all the complaints re having to actually wipe a rear end or heaven forbid take 5 mins to help a patient eat because their hands or body as whole wont cooperate.God forbid cause there isnt a cna available right then they have to do what they consider underming grunt work simply because u have a diploma and plastic card with R.N. behind ur name. Hospital care is becoming more subpar and more concerned with maintaing less staff for more profit and having nurses act as servant/concierge's to "VIP" patients way before taking care of a regular joe because he isnt a major monetary contributor to the CEOs pocketbook. I do love Nursing but I don't like.what it's becoming... and no offense here, but working with burnout and bitter know it all grouchy women everyday isn't my cup of tea or what I envisioned myself, life,or career becoming.More and more hospitalsr degrading to less and less stellar care with no repercussionsand th horrible attitudes r highly flu like contagious and the beaurocratic B.S. is dispicable.I have done several ambulance ride alongs out of choice.most recently I volunteered when the multiple devestating tornadoes ripped through central alabama and leveling my childhood home and 80% ofbmy hometown.I lost count of how many rides I was involved in as well as how many people I helped free from debris but I do remember exactly how many I saw that were already gone and the most significant and heartbreaking were the 2 that passed right in front of me when all I could do was pray,stay calm, and let them go in peace...my best friend of 13 years was one of them. After that i helped with search and rescue,and everyday for 3 weeks after my day job I volunteered in triage tents and shelter setups.that disaster and chaos and watching my best friend leave this earth solidified my decision.I always knew I that I picked the right path as far as being in the medical field, It just took a little longer and a lot of life experience to figure out I just made the wrong turn in the beginning . So..I apologize for the novel but what I need help with is a good fast track eMt b program that's the least expensive as possible, I'm still paying back nursing school loans.Between 2 small kids and a husband not to mention bills that still have to be paid I could use some advice.I spoke with the head of Alabama's ems division who literally said "I don't know of any fast track programs within hundreds of miles, but good luck" yep. I also called a specific regional ems director who runs the enter/paramedic program at the college I went to and all I Gordon him was "I don't know, no ones ever asked me that before but with all ur credits here it shouldn't be that big a deal considering the courses emt require but u have already taken. He actually thanked me for posing signs question.he said to let him investigate it further and he would get back with me. 8 months later and many unanswered follow up calls I placed and Im not even an inch closer to know what to do. So please, any advice would be appreciated, with the exception of those who will say I'm stupid for wanting this change, u can keep those comments to Yourself. also, traveling out of state for a few weeks is fine and I've seen a few programs that do it....but im sure some r scams so figuring which programs are actually accredited and legit and affordable is the obstacle. Thanks in advanced to anyone who can throw some good insights and wisdom my way.

So, I managed to read my way through that, and from what I can tell, you would like to find a cheap accelerated EMT-B program somewhere in Alabama but haven't had any luck so far even though you asked the head of the State EMS office and a regional school.

Is that the gist of it?

Although I am Canadian and cannot help you regarding education in Alabama, I can suggest you search for some of the many threads on here that address this topic. You may find something more helpful than I, but you may also learn what most of us understand about the quickie cheap EMS programs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.