Major Accident

Okay, my partner and I are driving back from JPS, in Ft. Worth for an abdominal pain and we get toned out for a Major Accident confirmed injuries in Ft. Worth. We're right in the busy "return-back-home-from-work" hour, and a stupid cars in front won't move, we blast the electric air horn with paser and wail, THEY ARE DEAF :cussing: . I felt like yelling through the broadcast "MOVE YOU IDIOTS". Finally they move [-(

Okay, my partner and I are driving back from JPS, in Ft. Worth for an abdominal pain and we get toned out for a Major Accident confirmed injuries in Ft. Worth. We're right in the busy "return-back-home-from-work" hour, and a stupid cars in front won't move, we blast the electric air horn with paser and wail, THEY ARE DEAF :cussing: . I felt like yelling through the broadcast "MOVE YOU IDIOTS". Finally they move [-(

What an amazing tale of woe.

JPS - I dunno what that is. Japanese Paraplegic Society? Man, those Japs have their hand in everything...

Major accident with injuries - means nothing....

BLAST THE AIR HORN AND PASER!!!!!!! - paser = phaser? Amazing...

THEY ARE DEAF - The deaf can drive you know...*Gives various sign language swear words*

broadcast - broadcast = PA? I only use it on special occasions. Like picking up hot chicks, which I get a lot. No seriously...

Good post though...

Happens hear all the time.

i see the problem as 2 fold.

1. the person driving is ignorant & doesnt give a rats ass about anyone but themselves

2. modern cars have progressed to the point the have removed too much road noise & people today drive with their windows up & radio up & just cant hear u. Therfore they too are ignorant.

Unfortunatly, i cant see it getting any better with more & more cars on the roads.

Phil

Dude, you need a real air horn. Like one that runs off of compressed air, not that electric BS. :D

Truth be told, the ride in most new cars and trucks is so nice you don't hear the siren or "eletric air horn" until they are on you.

I also have no idea why this is in ALS.

Hmmm... weird. Why did a quint go to the hospital, especially for an abdo pain patient? And you had only one partner on this quint? Last I heard, FW staffed quint's with an officer, and engineer, and two firefighters, none of which are necessarily paramedics.

Quints in Fort Worth have SERIOUS air horns. Nobody does not hear them. They can be heard a lot better than the dual-speaker siren (no Q2). They just ignore them.

Sounds to me like this is not a quint medic, but a MedStar (public utility model "ambulance authority") medic. Firefighters don't play around with the stupid siren tones like the medics do. I have never seen or heard a piece of FWFD apparatus running the Phaser in nearly thirty years working there. That's a wacker move. Phaser is a very ineffective tone as it is too monotone. Without a discernable high/low pitch alternation, you're not going to get anybody's attention. And pushing the stupid electronic "air horn" button only cuts off your siren completely, replacing it with a low-frequency monotone that cannot be heard over road noise in most cars today. It's stupid. It's a shame that the basics of warning device operations aren't taught in medic school.

But yeah, Dallas - Fort Worth drivers are horrible. FWFD kills one or two a year just to teach them a lesson. :lol:

The patient was in serious condition, and since I am a medic I assisted the medic en-route. While on the way back from JPS (John Peter Smith Hospital), we get toned. I work in Arlington not Ft. Worth DustDevil! :lol: Our Engines and Quints all have the REAL air horns on air. Arlington's medics are required to have a minimum of an Intermediate and a paramedic. Stay safe and make a positive difference!

It's a shame that the basics of warning device operations aren't taught in medic school.

You touch on some good points Dust ... I for one have always wondered why everyone seems to use the 'yelp' when going through intersections and 'whail' when travelling on straight roads. That's BACKWARDS people! Use your 'whail' when approaching intersections, as the increasing/decreasing levels spreads over a greater area, and the 'yelp' travels in a more straight direction.

If you happen to be travelling in a convoy to a call, the lead vehicle should use the tones above, while the rear vehicles should use the 'hi-lo'.

peace

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.