Staying fit while working in EMS...

I have a friend (fellow Paramedic) that said his service is implementing a routine where every EMT/Paramedic working there must pass some sort of fitness test every so often..... He said it will be similar to what Firefighters must pass..... I can't remember what all he said it would consist of, but I was wondering if yall know of many services that do this for EMTs and Paramedics? If so, can you give some details about what it consists of? I wish I had more details to post, but it was a very quick conversation.

Hope yall are having a great night!

Thanks,

Kelli

The service I volunteer for has a fitness test once a year that you must complete in order to be efficient. Its not so much as a really stressful test were you have to be super fit but enough to show your capable of for filling you dutys:

Standard Assessment:

-To preform 10 minutes of effective 1 person Adult CPR (this is quiet difficult for the older member) After this were normally assessed on defib and advanced resuc so all up your working on the dummy for about 45mins.

-To carry emergency apparatus, weighing over 20kg, a responsible distance to a casualty and administer first aid in a timely manner, in a variety of different environments,

-To move a casualty successfully to a stretcher.

-To lift a casualty as part of a team, manoeuvre and load the patient with or without assistance onto the stretcher and into the ambulance.

Bike Patrol Assessment:

-As above, as well as:

-Be physical fit, free of any health restrictions or medical conditions.

-Undertake a 60km bike ride in a responsible time.

-1.5km run within 10mins.

-Endurance ride.

-Lifting a move your bike and appropriate equipment over an obstacle course to a patient.

I also suggest not eating when you get bored!

• 2 weeks later...

For me, getting back to the gym was more about feeling more comfortable in my own skin (ya know that whole self esteem thing). But once I noticed the impact it had on my work I became even more motivated. Now I have an elliptical trainer and weights at home for those days it's impossible to make it to the gym or the pool for a swim. My man is a cop so sometimes the schedules don't often jive :?

Sometimes for me exercise is not just going to the gym. It could be a good bout of housework, playing with my sons at the park or teaching them to ride their bikes. The key to good exercise is multi-tasking and variety (it is the spice of life ya know :lol:)

[/font:b5cada8470] 8) howdy guys ;

there are many good points here and i feel like some of you do.

Excercise requires discipline, motivation,technique,and know how, so be sure to educate yourself before trying anything

that may be too vigorous or strenuous for you.

Like Dustdevil said, you need to discipline yourself to working out like you do about brushing your teeth or wearing a

seatbelt. Before you know it , it becomes routine.

Where i work, we work 72 hour shifts and through out the days...we have plenty of time for working out.

Our boss does not provide us with any equipment but has no problems with us buying our own equipment.

I have bought a home gym system (weights), a total gym, an ab lounge and some other excercise stuff for our office.

which we use through out the day.

I normally work out later in the evening when our call volume is down. There is more than enough time for a good workout.

In this line of work, it is important to stay fit not just for yourself but for your partner as well so that you can handle your part

of the weight and duties.

take care and be careful working out.

your brother in EMS,

gods_medic. :wink: 8)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.