The Beginning of EMS

Sure you can.

The problem is that you didn't post photos. You posted links to a page.

• When posting photos, it has to be a link to an actual photo ending in .jpg or .gif or it isn't going to work.

If you can go to the properties of the actual photos and get those links, they will show up.

There is a .jpg. You didn't highlight the entire link. If you right-click, properties, the 77patient.jpg and 77cad.jpg is cut off, so you have to drag the highlight thing down farther.

http://michigan-ems.tripod.com/sitebuilder...s/77patient.jpg

http://michigan-ems.tripod.com/sitebuilder...tures/77cad.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I DID go to properties, and the link I posted is the entire link address shown for each photo. Tripod cuts the file name off because they don't allow hot-linking.

That's a nice Caddy! I'd love to have one of those babies!

Haha, I swear that brown flooring is the exact same flooring that was in every single ambulance made in the 1970's! :lol:

Linoleum. Didn't last for shit, and stained real easy. Mainly because if there was something on it, you couldn't see it. Only in a combination did you have a neutral floor color. No commercial car (ambulance) that I ever worked in had anything but a dark, patterened floor. If you wanted something else, it had to be ordered before the body was built.

Incidently, the brown and orange checkered floor in the 75 Criterion I worked in for years, was the exact same I had installed in my kitchen at home.... ;)

1977. Northern NY, Potsdam Vol Rescue Squad required you to have or GET an AFA card upon becoming a member, and they required at least one EMT (basic) on every run.....

We had 2 high top modular vans, a converted bread van for a crash truck, and a Clark Cortez as our MVA response vehicle.

We got one of the first Braun Modulars in 79, andour Mechanical Assistant Chief taught Braun how to instal a generator in their rigs (Ray went down and helped them instal it in the build-out process)....

Came to Cleveland in 79-80, less than 10 years after Dan McNutt pioneered the Third Service COncept in EMS here in Cleveland with Cleveland EMS, and Paramedics. Dan started with 120 Welfare Kids (ok 18-21 yrs old) and had them trained by Margo Kiralyi, RN.

MY paramedic class was the last one Dan supervised at Cuyahoga Community College and the last one Bruce Shade taught there (yes, he had just finished the Mosby text we used.....that year). Margo was our instructor that year also.....

My bride and I have seen traction splints from Thomas Half ring, through Striker (a clam shell affair I really think hasn't been improved on yet, but which has gone into the dustbin of history), through Hare and all of the current crop.

the equipment has changed on a yearly basis since the first triangular bandage, but the skills remain remarkably stable....

Airway Maintenance... ok the adjuncts have changed, and the LMA looks like some bizare instrument...right a whole other diatribe....

Bleeding Control...not a lot of change from basic direct pressure etc...

Resuscitation....here things ARE changing, from lots of fluids to less fluids, from NS to hypertonic fluids, and permissive hypotensive resuscitation, with LOTS of studies in process...but you STILL have to hit either a vein or an IO....in the civilized world. If yer in an austere or Primitive environment, well there is always proctoclysis......

shadowfane

This is a really great thread, I really enjoyed reading the posts about how it used to be in EMS. I would also like more information about the Explorer program. Someone mentioned the 65 pound monitors, we have Zolls now that weight about 10 pounds and include O2 sat, BP, and ETCO2 and will work as AEDs or manual defibrillators all in one unit.

I agree this is one of the better threads .....it is always good to be reminded where we come from as a profession to where we are now with all the advancements in technology....there is only one way to go and that is up.......

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.