National Registry

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok i think we're having communication problem. I understand EMS and I iknow NREMT is only a testing organization. What I'm trying to tell you is that where I came from, the instructors were only teaching the students how to pass the test therefore producing sub-standard medics and emts.

And I was talking about some agencies being able to do certain things such as RSI or even thrombolytics in the field and cothers not being allowed to do such......thats kinda what I was saying about the same level of care across the country.

What you are describing is two different problems, inconsistent education and inconsistent medical direction. Of course, as always in EMS, both are really the same problem. Education. Neither are the problem of the NREMT. And neither would be the problem of any other testing and certifying agency. That's why we can't understand your contention that NR is a joke. You have yet to tell us why local problems make the NR a joke.

See, my issue with develloping a national registry for Canada, would be trying to get the provincial bodies who already regulate EMS licensing to trust us. Then again, if we're testing according to tha national scope model, I can't see a problem with this.

peace

There is no problem with the concept. The problem is simply in getting everybody on the same page. I hear a lot of provincial whining about Ontario's high time requirements being a stumbling block to reciprocity. And I hear whining about Alberta's advanced OCP's being a stumbling block to reciprocity. It seems obvious to me that combining the best of those two is the answer to standardisation. However, the conventional wisdom -- at least in the United States -- is that the answer is to dumb standards down to the lowest common denominator, not to raise them to a gold standard.

It should not be those who hold out for lower standards who set them. It should be those who strive for a higher standard that set them. If you can get that little matter straight, then the concept of a nationally certifying body is not only valid, but ideal.

What you are describing is two different problems, inconsistent education and inconsistent medical direction. Of course, as always in EMS, both are really the same problem. Education. Neither are the problem of the NREMT. And neither would be the problem of any other testing and certifying agency. That's why we can't understand your contention that NR is a joke. You have yet to tell us why local problems make the NR a joke.

it appears in this area that the test itself has become more important than the actual material that is supposed to be taught, I'm not sure whether it's the test questions or how the questions are presented or what, but from what I've heard about them , they can be awfully confusing or tricky. Thus, causing the instructors to teach the test rather than teaching how to be emts and paramedics. I know this probably doesn't answer your question, but it is just my observation and opinion.

I've taken the NR exam 2wice, bought 3 study guides - including the Brady - and finished 2nd in my class on the final. The test is

NOT so easy. You know it's sad seeing these older guys in there who've been in EMS for 20 years, having to run through another hoop. They have more to lose than I do, and then you get the exam ...... which is packed nicely with enough vague questions

and word trickery to not be a true test of your ability as a medic. I've read on here about possible "fowl play" to work money scams. .. well I know this. It isn't in my nature to fail an exam, and the 2nd time around I studied absurdly. I got the exam and studied the questions and words carefully; and did feel the wording was designed so vaguely that I wanted to kinda laugh a few times. I marked these questions and in the end had just enough to maybe not make it. How funny it is that I read here today- I'm not the only one. Do I feel duped? Well, it's like this. Without being obnoxious, I will just say there are many a noodle in my noggin. Taking these tests has been kinda neat cause I haven't passed them. heh. Passed the ones in class (they had definative answers), and helped lots of people in clinicals; however my instructor hadn't taken the very exam she was readying us for../. Everyone I know that passed it did so barely, and I know some real big thinkers- who agree also it's bogus. The other problem I have is that the tests I took DID include word tricks and didn't leave me feeling satisfied for the test of knowledge I payed for. twice... rather (a little) like I've not done the handshake right to get into Tony's gang. heeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyy. 3rd xs a charm. :lol:

Welcome to EMS or for that gos any medical board examination. They are all written, basically the same way.. confusing, frustrating, and I have yet met anyone really 100% sure of what they made after they have taken the test.

If your state or locality is taking the NREMT, the school should had prepared you better by using scenario based questions and stem-key test answers, along with multiple group choice answers. I consult schools, and really encourage them to start using computer based questions ASAP, so students will be prepared for the use of computers as well. I routinely take the exam (don't ask) to see how the test is designed.. not the questions, but to see what topics and how the test is structured. We as instructors have to prepare students for the examination, without passing it they cannot get a license, without a license = no job, I don't care how damn good they were.

The basic is really not hard... unfortunately most people make it a lot harder than what is is.. that is what fails most. Don't look too much into a question... remember they are only asking the minimum required.

I wish you luck in your future testing...

R/r 911

Welcome to EMS or for that gos any medical board examination. They are all written, basically the same way.. confusing, frustrating, and I have yet met anyone really 100% sure of what they made after they have taken the test.

If your state or locality is taking the NREMT, the school should had prepared you better by using scenario based questions and stem-key test answers, along with multiple group choice answers. I consult schools, and really encourage them to start using computer based questions ASAP, so students will be prepared for the use of computers as well. I routinely take the exam (don't ask) to see how the test is designed.. not the questions, but to see what topics and how the test is structured. We as instructors have to prepare students for the examination, without passing it they cannot get a license, without a license = no job, I don't care how damn good they were.

The basic is really not hard... unfortunately most people make it a lot harder than what is is.. that is what fails most. Don't look too much into a question... remember they are only asking the minimum required.

I wish you luck in your future testing...

Rid, the comment about how the instructors are preparing the students to pass the test, is precisely my point about the quality of new EMTs and Paramedics.well at least around here anyway.Instead of teaching the test, why not teach them the job nd skills needed to perform at a superb levl. By the way these comments are not directed right at you Rid, just in general.

R/r 911

Rid, the comment about how the instructors are preparing the students to pass the test, is precisely my point about the quality of new EMTs and Paramedics.well at least around here anyway.Instead of teaching the test, why not teach them the job nd skills needed to perform at a superb levl.

I don't know about your state test, but with NR, they are the same thing. The NR exam is structured situationally, which is exactly like real life. What you need to know to pass NR is exactly what you need to know to function as at least a minimally proficient EMT. Therefore, teaching the test is fine. That is the benefit of the NR.

Many state exams have not yet figured that out. They are asking questions of rote memorisation. Anatomy questions. Disease facts. Names of devices and procedures. It's nonsense. And if schools teach to that sort of test, their graduates will be ill prepared to function.

I think your concern is completely invalid. Schools will teach to whatever test is given, no matter whether it is NR or a state test. NR does not cause it. It is already happening. So it might as well be a nationally validated test that is geared towards actual practise, like the NR exam is.

Vague is not the word more like chicken S#*&! I just took my written national registry. So we will see! Does any one know how often we need to take the national registry to keep that current i can't find that answer on their web site?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.