National Registry

AK et al, I stand corrected and made the mistake of assuming something......Nowhere does it say "intermediate". just nremt emt. thank you for the correction and enlightenment. But the state of Florida did tell her that she would have to take theNREMT test again in order to gain Florida certification. (She failed to tell me it wasn't Intermediate)hence ,me looking like an ass....lol

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NREMT is no more an EMS Agency than the SAT tests are a school for children. NREMT's one responsibility is to ensure a basic level of knowledge and understanding of the material. Having taken the test and having passed it, I believe that it is a beneficial system to have in place. I know for a fact that I will not live/work in Santa Barbara, CA for my entire life, so it comforts me that when I decide to move out to a new place, my accredidation as an NREMT will follow me and assist in gaining reseprocity (forgive my spelling. I just woke up and the spell checker program is unavailable.) Canada and all Western countries with organized EMS systems should adopt a similar system, because lets face it... not all EMT programs are the same. In some, the training and hands-on is extensive... in others, merely basic. I sleep better at night knowing that I live in a county that requires all emergency responders to pass a proficiency test.

No worries bass...I am good at making people look like an ass, especially MYSELF. I have many years experience in that department so don't even think about trying to one up me on making an ass of yourself.

[Homeland Security... what a joke, they can't even get people tested to check luggage yet... ]

That was only an idea or suggestion, you must be one the almighty NREMT's in order to respond like that.....It was a mere hypothetical department..........not that I think Homeland is the answer.

Actually, yes I am NREMT ( have been 30 years at all levels) and have about 10 other state EMS license or certifications and with several RN license and Board Certifications. So I don't see the problem .. study, pay the fee, take the test, get the results, pass get the card ... just like every other healthcare professional does. If that state has it or does not allow it... one should investigate and have a knowledge of local EMS statutes. There are many similarities as well as diversities in each state and one need to be aware, of each.

No, I was not joking Homeland Security. There was heavy discussion of Homeland Security actually taking over NHTSA role recently adn overseeing EMS. This was not finalized until about 3 months ago, that they would not be in charge of national afffairs for EMS.

Ironically the first proponent was the Fire Service until they realized they would have to share the funds with EMS and then immediately pulled support of the idea. This has all been discussed several times before...

R/r 911

I agree there needs to be a truely portable cert or lic. for EMS to take from state to state. Would simplify so much. But when the national scope of practice can not even agree to how and what we should be doing at the different levels then whats the use, it makes it hard to make it work.

The states can't even decide on what they want the different levels to be allowed to do. how can we expect someone to come in and tell us what we want or need to do.

KS has pulled there support of the NR for all levels except EMT-P at this time. However the only way to become certified in KS is to have a min. AAS degee with your P cert from NR or another state, additionally you will have to prove that your program your graduated from is accreditted and has the amount of hours required by KS programs.

KS has pulled there support of the NR for all levels except EMT-P at this time. However the only way to become certified in KS is to have a min. AAS degee with your P cert from NR or another state, additionally you will have to prove that your program your graduated from is accreditted and has the amount of hours required by KS programs.

Please correct me if I'm wrong..... if you are EMT-P certified (non-NREMT) in another state and apply to KS, don't you still have to take the KS state test (in addition to having all your other ducks in a row)? I also thought KS was pulling out of NR at all levels......

they were going to ... but when i was at TO II they changed their mind on the EMT-P for now ... but have left it open to change when they feel it nessesary. but for now they are staying with NR for Medic as long as all other things are in line ... came strieght from Sutton.

Race

I just think that there should be some type of National standard throughout the country and not different from state to state. Therefore, all patients are going to get the same level of care no matter where they live( of course depending on the quality of paramedic).

I really was not plugging Homeland Security or saying they should take over, just using them as an example. I'd like to see some uniformity to EMS in the USA. It seems to me, the quality of emts and paramedics coming out of NREMT classes these days are basically taught how to take a test and pass NREMT, and not so much how to do the job. All that I have talked to or been paired with seem to say their Instructors placed much emphasis on how to understand the test and pass it rather than teaching.

I just think that there should be some type of National standard throughout the country and not different from state to state. Therefore, all patients are going to get the same level of care no matter where they live( of course depending on the quality of paramedic). .

Actually there is : it is called the called the national curriculum, It is the states that has adapted different levels and each service and community that has incorporated placed either lower or more advance procedures. This is the way it has been since the development of EMS over >40 years.

I really was not plugging Homeland Security or saying they should take over, just using them as an example. I'd like to see some uniformity to EMS in the USA. It seems to me, the quality of emts and paramedics coming out of NREMT classes these days are basically taught how to take a test and pass NREMT, and not so much how to do the job. All that I have talked to or been paired with seem to say their Instructors placed much emphasis on how to understand the test and pass it rather than teaching.

Again, it is obvious you did not read the previous posts, or understand EMS & the NREMT. NREMT DOES NOT " have" classes or ever has had or plans to have . It is ONLY , let me repeat again ONLY a testing agency. They do not set any curriculum, ONLY test over the national standard curriculum as designed by NHTSA, and the national standards in emergency cardiac care as set by ECC and AHA.

Again there is a national uniformity standard, albeit I believe is poor, don't blame the messenger (NREMT) they only test what is the national standards.

Want to change things ? Then become involved in agencies that make recommendations for curriculum development to the NHTSA, organizations like NAEMT, National EMS Educators Society, even you local state EMS Director's . This is the only way to ever change the curriculum and change what the NREMT tests over.

Be safe,

R/r 911

NREMT DOES NOT " have" classes or ever has had or plans to have . It is ONLY , let me repeat again ONLY a testing agency. They do not set any curriculum, ONLY test over the national standard curriculum as designed by NHTSA, and the national standards in emergency cardiac care as set by ECC and AHA.

Ok i think we're having communication problem. I understand EMS and I iknow NREMT is only a testing organization. What I'm trying to tell you is that where I came from, the instructors were only teaching the students how to pass the test therefore producing sub-standard medics and emts.

And I was talking about some agencies being able to do certain things such as RSI or even thrombolytics in the field and cothers not being allowed to do such......thats kinda what I was saying about the same level of care across the country. sorry if I didn't make my self more clear.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.