My first working code

Yesterday I had my first working code. Call went out as subject not breathing. Ambulance from another station arrived first. When we got there they were preparing to bring pt out of the house. I was asked to go with them for extra hands. ALS arrived and got in and rode with us. PT had been down 5-15 minutes before first unit arrived. We worked it all the way to the hospital, but it was not successful. I am dealing with it pretty well for my first one. I was affected more by a nasty car accident a few weeks ago and that pt lived!

Just needed to vent a little.

Well...I dunno if "congrats" is the right word...but you have reached a new level of your career. They never get "easy" so to speak, but it does get better in terms of being able to deal with these situations. I'm glad you vented. That's what we are here for...to help each other learn, to give advice and to provide support (at least that's how I see my role on here)...and most of all to just be a friend who understands your job and what you do, more than most people in our own lives.

The hardest thing for me is to remind myself that I can't save them all. It sure would be nice if we could, though.

If you should need to talk more...I will listen.

Take care....

xoxoxo

Luv, :wink:

Good Morning. As long as you can say you did your best and gave 110%, then you had a good day.

I agree with Medik8, and if we could save them all, we would be out of a job. :lol:

I remember my ER clinicals, with a code. The doctor had to crack the chest, and I was manually pumping the heart. Unfortunately, it was only successful for a short time.

Continue all your hard work and dedication to EMS, because it can be very rewarding.

Feel free to vent, I will always be willing to listen as well.

Take care.

DC2 Dan Rogers

SSG this is the first of many for you. Others will come at different levels. Just as others have said, always remember you can't save them all. Do your best, always look to learn more, vent when needed, take time for yourself after the bad ones and you'll grow in this business. Of course you have a mental advantage over a lot of other EMSers, you have the Military training. And as Medik8 stated they don't get easier you just handle them better.

Stay safe.

There are hearts to sick to live, and hearts to healthy to die.

Best thing about a cardiac arrest is the opportunity to practice things you don't get to do every day. And the clincher, everything that you will do is a step better than where the patient is when you find them.

Ya know I 'ran' my first code as a medic at the end of February this year. I've only been a medic since October. We were the first crew on scene, and immediately, other than scene safety and bsi, I went right to work on the airway and taking control of that. We were successful on gettin the airway and an IV line, when another medic that was there had talked to the family about the patient's history, etc. Just as I was about to push the Epi, the patients doc had called the family and spoke with them about the patient's condition, etc. With the family's and the doc's permission, we terminated all resuscitation efforts. The family was upset and sad that they had lost a member of their family, as expected. Until the funeral home people had arrived, my partner and I stayed with that family, there was a wife and 2 or 3 daughters present. We spoke about all of his accomplishments in his past, the fact that he was a veteran, etc. And before we left the scene, my partner and I had done something, that you never hear of anymore.........we showed them compassion, I felt, rather than just leave and not show that we care. We even hugged the family members and expressed our sorrow for their loss. Even though I know that code was not ran by the books, we did what we were supposed to do, care for the patient, AND the family members that were present. Even though I was a nervous wreck, it was one of the calls that I felt and knew that I did everything right, and did not second guess myself! [/font:2050e4e071]

Thanks all! I appreciate the support. I know I did what I was supposed to. Since the the ambulance was from an other station and the medic was unfamiliar neither knoew it was my first code until it was over and I told them. They both said I did fine. Hardest part, sometimes was just maintaining balance while the rig was moving. Driver did a great job, just the roads do not always cooperate. From what I gather the person had not been doing well. On home O2, looks like they had a diabetic amputation of a lower leg, and a few other problems.

I had a nasty accident a few weeks ago and did not really talk about it and it ate at me for a few days, so I figured if I got this off my chest I might handle it better. Felt bad because now for her children, Mothers DAy will never be the same.

Sarge

Spell check not available, sorry

Not sure if you would call it fun!! Broke a good sweat. (Damn those jumpsuits are hot) My shins still hurt from bracing against the stretcher! I know I di my best and the other EMT and the Medic did theirs!! I am not sure about fun!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.