How do I prepare for Paramedic school?

Just wondering if anybody has some tips regarding this. I'm a little nervous and just want to know if there are certain things in particular I should study prior to the class. I know anatomy and physiology is a must, but I'm wondering if there are other aspects that I could study up and get ahead.

Thanks!

Do you have your textbooks yet? That would be a good place to start.

The information on the internet can quickly bury you in minutae. Read your textbook, and use the web to clarify things you don't understand. You'd be amazed what you can find with little to no effort.

Once you get the physiology and pathophysiology down, then it will be time to worry about something else.

Yes, know your anatomy and physiology inside and out, upside-down and backwards. Don't just memorize terms and structures. Know what they do and what they're there for. Try and think out of the box and come up with situations if that structure wasn't there, or what happens if it malfunctions (pathophysiology) then compare your thought process to your texts

Concentrate more on the science side of things, don't get to caught up reading the chapers concerned with skills, because, that's all they are. Your class will devote enough time for you to practice those.

Secondly, PHARMACOLOGY! Know your drugs better then you know your A & P. Not just protocols, when/how to give this drug, but also go as indepth as humanly possible to understand mechanisms of actions, phamacokinetics/dynamics. Yes, even most first responders know Nitro is a vasodilator, but by what exact mechanism does it accomplish that? And I'm talking at the cellular level here ... :P

If you can understand how your drugs work at the cellular level, you'll be that much better off.

peace

Oooh! The force is strong in this one!

The fact that you just typed a coherent paragraph, complete with punctuation, capitalisation, and proper spelling is a very positive factor in your favour. And yes, I am being quite serious. Not only does it demonstrate literacy, but it clearly demonstrates that you took your high school education at least half-way serious and that you recognise the importance of clear and intelligent communications. You will probably be an exception within your class. :thumbright:

Both of the above pieces of advice are excellent, and really cover the question quite well. Do remember that studying a topic is not the same as simply memorising facts and terms. It is more important that you actually understand concepts. You can't pass the NR exam just memorising protocols and drug names. You have to clearly understand physiological functions and pharmacological actions in order to make intelligent clinical judgements. Consequently, Lithium's advice is spot on. Spend at least as much time understanding organ functions and physiology as you do simply memorising anatomy. And I hope you are planning to take formal A&P courses, and not simply read the book and hope for osmosis. That one effort will put you WAY ahead of your peers.

Don't waste any time at all trying to learn EKG's or IV's or Intubations or any other monkey skill ahead of time. They are simple and given more than adequate time and attention in class. Getting ahead of yourself skill-wise offers you zero benefit in the long run. Concentrate on theory. That is where medics are made or broken. That is what fails students out of class.

Best of luck!

I agree for the most part with the posts above. Study A&P, and specifically the respiratory, cardiac and nervous systems. These are the systems we depend on the most and need to have a very solid grasp of when it comes to understanding. As far as pharmacology, I've found that the secret to really understanding pharmacology is to understand how the nervous system works since many of the medications we use work primarily on the nervous system. This understanding will make it far easier to remember the side effects and actions of the medications.

Shane

NREMT-P

Study A&P, and specifically the respiratory, cardiac and nervous systems. These are the systems we depend on the most and need to have a very solid grasp of when it comes to understanding.

Don't forget the endocrine system, and especially the renal system! Acid-Base balance, fluids/electrolytes ... love that stuff. And if you can describe the three phases of cellular respiration in detail, you're ahead of the game :P

peace

Having just finished my didactic and clinicals (I am starting my internship soon), I must tell you that all the previous posts have been spot on. You must know your A&P very well. I would recommend you learn the structure of the heart and the main vessels, and know the path of blood through each. (Inferior & Superior Vena Cava into the Right atrium, through the tricuspid (you ride a tricycle before a bicycle) valve to right ventricle through the pulmonary semi-lunar valve to the Pulmonary arteries to the lungs to the pulmonary veins to the left atrium to the tricuspid or mitral valve to the left ventricle to the aortic semi-lunar valve to the Aorta ,...etc). You should understand pharmacology, make posters and flash cards of ALL 42 drugs that are in the National Scope (many schools only teach local protocols, this may screw you for your NREMT test or if you move to a different county or state). You should know the name (many have brand, US pharm and generic names), class, indication, contraindications, side effects and the pharmokinetics and dose for each indication of each drug. Also brush up on your math skills for drug doses (fractions and decimals by hand, our lovely public school system focused on calculators and computers, you must know how to do all by hand) and drip rates.

If you have any questions or need help during school don't hesitate to ask us, that's what we are here for.

Good Luck!

~Ambo