Career or Volunteer or Private Transport

Which one are you?  

64 members have voted

1. 1.

• Career
    • Volunteer
    • Private Transport

Gilk, I'm not trying to provoke a fight, but being assigned to the ambulance is punishment?

There are departments out there, where going to the Engines and Ladders from the Ambulances is "advancement," others feel going from "fire suppression" to "EMS" is the leg up.

Then, there are those departments that play everything on a more or less even playing field, something like at specified periods in a monthly period, everyone will spend time on suppression, and then on EMS.

In the FDNY, you're mission specific, you're either a Firefighter, or an EMS crew person. We aren't cross-trained.

BUT... no matter which you do, EMS, "Suppression," or cross-trained and available to both, I know when the call comes in, you'll do the right thing, AND do it well!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm paid, I consider it a career and since I work for a private company and often transport then I choose that too.

I'm Security/EMT for a private Security company which contracts with chemical plants and other businesses which need EMTs to work in their facilities. I handle most minor medical calls by treating patients in an on site clinic. When it is necessary for a employee to be transported to the local Emergency Room I can transport using a company provided 'medical van' which has spine board, AED, O2, splints and other BLS equipment. We respond to all medical calls within our facility and have several first responders working at the plant who can assist us as necessary. For major medical or trauma calls a local ALS service will be called via 911.

Volunteer and full time undergrad student...my life's nice and busy. When asked my major I say technically it's biology but really it's rescue!

yeah me too, although I get the feeling that if I ever take a paid job, that's it I'll be hooked and it will be my career. :D

yeah me too, although I get the feeling that if I ever take a paid job, that's it I'll be hooked and it will be my career. :D

its so much fun being a full time student, a vol, and trying to work a full time computer job... :-D

its so much fun being a full time student, a vol, and trying to work a full time computer job... :-D

Don't you just love not having any time, or sleep? :D Actually I love every single second of it and I wouldn't have it any other way; although since I am a nursing student and I spend my free time volunteering, and I'm trying to find a paid EMT job, I feel like all I ever talk about/think about/hear about is medicine. I mean I don't think I have any friends that aren't in EMS or medicine in some way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.