EVOC

EVOC  

41 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, we take EVOC it's mandatory
    • No, it is not required
    • WTF is EVOC?

After reading the thread about yet another death in our extended EMS family, I have to wonder, do any of you take the EVOC classes anymore? Are they mandatory were you are? We don't have them per se any longer. There is a classroom class and where I work mandatory driving sessions requiring normal and emergency traffic.

I wasn't there at this latest wreck so I won't speculate. I do wonder though how the driver got so close to a semi on a Interstate that he clipped it while passing. I will try and follow this story if only for my on interest.

In my humble opinion, it should be mandatory everywhere. Even part of the Nat'l curriculum if need be. I realize it's not our fault the majority of the time, but the cops and hose monkeys require it, why shouldn't we?

For now though, I'm just trying to get a feel for what's going on out there.

Thx for your help.

The company I work for hired me w/o me taking the EVOC, and I'm cleared to drive. We do however have a mandatory EVOC coming up this summer. Most companies I know of in the North East U.S. at least like you to have/get it, but its not always mandatory.

EVOC is required by PA to operate an emergency vehicle.

We also have "safety" information presented to us at annual skills review, and have had additional mandatory driving classes over time.

Our safety manager always sends out an email with details of EVERY emergency vehicle crash.

My station requires EVOC. I think the MD class is 33 hours. We also have an extensive in house drivers training program, partly due to the Big A$$ Ambulances we have. A lot of the local stations have smaller ambulances and are less picky about EVOC and Drivers training.

Sarge

EVOC is manditory down here in Southwest Virginia. 8 hour classroom & six station practical. Also, my department requires 10 hours of precepted driving under a preceptor before being released to drive. Also, the precepted time CANNOT be responding to a call unless it is code 1.

We do the 16 hour CEVO thing, With an 8 hour refresher if the primary has been done. I Don't think CEVO (Coaching the Emergency Vehicle Operator) Is nearly as informative as EVOC. I have been through both and prefer EVOC due to the seemingly more thorough content.

The company I work for requires both EVOC and CEVO.

I would also like to add that although not the same state, I work for the same ambulance company that you mention in the above post.(Different State but same company) Rural Metro, and it is a company wide thing that both class are not only taken and passed before getting behind the wheel we also have to keep them up to date. Just having them one time doesn't cut it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.